• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

John Harbaugh

I don't think anyone is advocating for BB to be our coach except JO_75.

@RavensMania I think Harbaugh is a great players coach, but not a great x and o's coach. He keeps coordinators too long and when we finally see changes we continue with the same issues in the playoffs. If we don't make it to the offs or are one and done again next year then will that change your mind? Just curious.

I was having this discussion with a Steelers fan If he thinks MT needs to go? You know since they made the playoffs with a way worse team and he's technically haven't had a losing season. He's also a "players' coach. I think they need to get rid of him too. But that's not my team so I don't care just bringing up a similar case.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

@RavensMania I think Harbaugh is a great players coach, but not a great x and o's coach. He keeps coordinators too long and when we finally see changes we continue with the same issues in the playoffs. If we don't make it to the offs or are one and done again next year then will that change your mind? Just curious.

I was having this discussion with a Steelers fan If he thinks MT needs to go? You know since they made the playoffs with a way worse team and he's technically haven't had a losing season. He's also a "players' coach. I think they need to get rid of him too. But that's not my team so I don't care just bringing up a similar case.
I think it would be a mistake for the Steelers to fire Tomlin also. Now this one does feel a bit different, since they haven't won a playoff game since 2016. Tomlin may retire after the 2024 season.

QtR Nevermore

Pro Bowler

Harbaugh's a good head coach but I think Mike MacDonald is potentially a great one. There's no one else available at the moment that I'd swap him for.

I think the NFL tradition of always keeping the HC over the great co-ordinator is a flawed one. Do the Eagles regret letting Steichen go for the sake of Siriani, the Falcons losing Shanahan to keep Dan Quinn, or Washington keeping Jay Gruden over McVay?

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
Regarding Harbaugh, let’s go into positive and negative comparison for this year

Very questionable timeouts and challenges but that’s par for the course. The only issue here for me is he will stick with his coordinator even when we see it’s not working OR it’s his intention and direction when we get like this. We’ve seen this story a few times now where we abandon the run almost inexplicably from Marty to Roman (very out of character), Monken. I think Trestman too but I’m a bit foggy going that far back.

The positives are that Harbaugh is very good at getting these guys focused and motivated to play and pushing through adversity.

Sandtown

Pro Bowler
John Harbaugh is probably the most underrated head coach I have even seen in my life and i think alot of it is because he has a special coordinator back ground

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
Regarding Harbaugh, let’s go into positive and negative comparison for this year

Very questionable timeouts and challenges but that’s par for the course. The only issue here for me is he will stick with his coordinator even when we see it’s not working OR it’s his intention and direction when we get like this. We’ve seen this story a few times now where we abandon the run almost inexplicably from Marty to Roman (very out of character), Monken. I think Trestman too but I’m a bit foggy going that far back.

The positives are that Harbaugh is very good at getting these guys focused and motivated to play and pushing through adversity.
He's been consistently good at being competitive in the regular season. The downside is he can't carry that over to the playoffs anymore.

Sandtown

Pro Bowler
He's been consistently good at being competitive in the regular season. The downside is he can't carry that over to the playoffs anymore.

I don't know if I can agree with this. Even with all the mistakes that happened yesterday I don't think i saw a team that wasn't competitive against a former super bowl champion team. the scoreboard was 17-10 not 30 -10 when the game ended.

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
I don't know if I can agree with this. Even with all the mistakes that happened yesterday I don't think i saw a team that wasn't competitive against a former super bowl champion team. the scoreboard was 17-10 not 30 -10 when the game ended.
The defense was competitive, I don't know if the offense was. Grade that how you will, I guess

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
Steve Biscotti and Harbaugh too close.

Dude got it made. He won’t get fired unless he loses the locker room. So we’re just gonna be stuck being a good regular season team.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Harbaugh's a good head coach but I think Mike MacDonald is potentially a great one. There's no one else available at the moment that I'd swap him for.

I think the NFL tradition of always keeping the HC over the great co-ordinator is a flawed one. Do the Eagles regret letting Steichen go for the sake of Siriani, the Falcons losing Shanahan to keep Dan Quinn, or Washington keeping Jay Gruden over McVay?
So here's the thing though... every guy you listed is an offensive coach. MacDonald is not.

I'd look at it this way:
Even if you don't think John is "the guy", what does MM bring to the table as a HC that he doesn't already bring as a DC? Is he going to can Monken and bring in a better play caller? Is MM a closet QB whisperer who's going to make Lamar magically play better against elite competition in the postseason?

With MM as head coach, today, you're in the same spot. You're not better. You just keep the DC. That's it. Everything he does from then on out will be defined by who is offensive play caller is, and how well that offense can play. And he doesn't run that side of the ball, so he's going to be tied to things he can't control.

32 of 32 NFL teams in this league want to identical things... a quality, franchise QB, and an elite offensive play caller. Even the Ravens want that.

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
So here's the thing though... every guy you listed is an offensive coach. MacDonald is not.

I'd look at it this way:
Even if you don't think John is "the guy", what does MM bring to the table as a HC that he doesn't already bring as a DC? Is he going to can Monken and bring in a better play caller? Is MM a closet QB whisperer who's going to make Lamar magically play better against elite competition in the postseason?

With MM as head coach, today, you're in the same spot. You're not better. You just keep the DC. That's it. Everything he does from then on out will be defined by who is offensive play caller is, and how well that offense can play. And he doesn't run that side of the ball, so he's going to be tied to things he can't control.

32 of 32 NFL teams in this league want to identical things... a quality, franchise QB, and an elite offensive play caller. Even the Ravens want that.
MM goes to Seattle.
Harbaugh goes to commanders
Ben Johnson goes to Baltimore.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Sarah Ellison said it perfectly. As good as Mike Mac is and he very well may be the Sean McVay of defense, but her quote was if you make a change at head coach, it has to be for a brilliant offensive coordinator so Lamar doesn't have changes at offensive coordinator throughout his career in Baltimore. This makes a lot of sense and Ben Johnson will be available next offseason.

The Ravens will always be able to put together a good defense, for the most part. Sure it may never be as good as it was this season and that would include with Mike Mac, due to the loss of players and possibly other coaches.

Tank

Hall of Famer
Sarah Ellison said it perfectly. As good as Mike Mac is and he very well may be the Sean McVay of defense, but her quote was if you make a change at head coach, it has to be for a brilliant offensive coordinator so Lamar doesn't have changes at offensive coordinator throughout his career in Baltimore. This makes a lot of sense and Ben Johnson will be available next offseason.

The Ravens will always be able to put together a good defense, for the most part. Sure it may never be as good as it was this season and that would include with Mike Mac, due to the loss of players and possibly other coaches.
I think they learned lessons having 5 different OCs in the 10 years Joe was in Bmore.

OURavensFan

Ravens Ring of Honor
If we keep Harbaugh...... I hope 2024 is what 2007 was to Billick where everything imploded, the players quit on him and we lose to a team who should have been winless. I don't know who it is but I want some team next year to do what the 2007 Dolphins did and be the Hay in the Barn that gets Harbs fired.

Belichick is out there, right now we need discipline, something Belichick can bring. I said this on Reddit, as long as Belichick doesn't bring McDaniels or Patricia with him, I'd take him over Harbaugh. The things he would do with Lamar.
I’d rather Harbaugh (John) wins the Super Bowl next year for us

Sandtown

Pro Bowler
How do you propose he does it if he fucked up with this team?
Andy Reid F up with the suppose dream team back in 2010 if not 2009 and yet here we are given him praise today. That eagles team was probably the most talented team ever at the time and Reid didn't even achieve what Harbaugh did last year.