• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

John Harbaugh

GodIsGreat

Veteran
Harbaugh has locked job security until further notice and can lose big games with a pass, because the blame will just go on lamar.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
Andy Reid F up with the suppose dream team back in 2010 if not 2009 and yet here we are given him praise today. That eagles team was probably the most talented team ever at the time and Reid didn't even achieve what Harbaugh did last year.
It was the 2011 Eagles and that was not the most talented team in NFL history to date.

52520Andrew

Pro Bowler

Figured this would be relevant to the Harbaugh discussion.

Overall, my opinions are that it is okay to have a coach who isn't strictly X's and O's on offense or defense. I do think there are drawbacks to that approach like cycling through coordinators but it isn't the worst thing if they focus on culture and leading the players. I do think Harbaugh is in a precarious situation right now on that front because I think the Ravens culture is in danger right now. I think the players are focusing too much on the media and are getting distracted a bit too much. They also have been inconsistent and under performed against bad competition over several years now. They got better at this towards the end of the year but it has been a struggle point they shouldn't be dealing with.

On the coordinator front, if we end up with bad coordinators and don't fire them for years too long because the next paragraph and then lose good ones after a year or 2, then we on average don't have good coordinators. To defend Harbaugh, it is harder to make those determinations without that specialty. You see a lot of defensive coaches struggle to get someone who can coach an offense for this reason. A good coach on either side of the ball just needs to find one guy who can hold down the other side(look at the Chiefs with Spags) and find the sweet spot for someone good enough to be a great DC but not good enough to be a HC. We need to get lucky twice in that regard and that turnover isn't great for player development with schemes going back and forth.

The other big concern is that Harbaugh has a history of sticking with his guy for too long. Yes I can bring up Cam Cameron or Greg Roman but the biggest offender is Steve Saunders. Absolutely no excuse that he was around as long as he was and that decision alone may have cost us a playoff run in 2021 or 2022. He had to know how his players felt about him and if he didn't that may be an even bigger problem. I hope that was a wakeup call.

Overall I do think Harbaugh has been a good coach for us and hopefully he continues to be and I have been a defender of his in the past. I do think that he is a good coach still and if he went to another team, he would likely find success there. Not sure he would win another super bowl but definitely can do worse for a head coach. But when our defensive staff just got gutted once again and we have to hope the next coordinator hire is a good one(I belive it will be), I do think there was an opportunity cost to letting Macdonald go to the Seahawks. The next time we have a great coordinator come up again with us, we should think long and hard about the decision of who to go with.

Yeah that was a lot but it is a touchy subject, Harbs has his work cut out for him this year, hopefully he can rise up to the challenges and get us that next Lombardi trophy.

Nurps

Ravens Ring of Honor
In retrospect that dance post Texans was the most embarrassing thing in NFL history.

I didn’t think anything of it until Andy Reid called it out
I fucking loved it. Who knew we were gonna shit the bed the very next week?

OURavensFan

Ravens Ring of Honor
I fucking loved it. Who knew we were gonna shit the bed the very next week?
We should not have been behaving as if divisional round was our goal. Probably overrated and they’re just having fun, but still, we needed that Lamar not satisfied energy

GodIsGreat

Veteran
3 playoff wins since 2012, and the mostly every media mebmers don't say a thing but will say something about mike mcarthy