• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2019 OL Thread

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I really don't understand all the fuss about Bradburry. He's downright weak. In a zone scheme maybe but here? No thanks.
I don’t think he’s downright weak lol, anchors well and position blocks well in the run, he’s a bit like a Ronnie Stanley type but at C

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
I don’t think he’s downright weak lol, anchors well and position blocks well in the run, he’s a bit like a Ronnie Stanley type but at C
Stanley didn't get stood up like Bradburry. Ronnie wasn't a force in college but he could use more space as an OT to work angles and get better leverage. You can't do that at C. And Bradburry can't get any type of push against true NTs. I've seen him fire into people's chests and punch perfectly and still not get one inch of movement. And when it's not perfectly executed he gets exposed. I'll admit that he has some beautiful reps when in space, but I don't want that type if center that can only win against LB.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Dalton Risner has a lot to like, but a lot to worry about too.

First off, he’s a massive man with a mean streak, Taylor lewan like in that regard. But unfortunately, his push is so inconsistent, one play you’ll see him get in close with the arms and core coiled up and give an explosive benchpress, the next play you’ll see him in prime position to do it again but he doesn’t and then gives up a disengage to end the play.

Secondly, he’s really top heavy, waist up he looks like the nastiest bastard you’ve ever seen, waist down he looks like a TE. Never skip leg day brah, you’re an NFL OL for shits sake.

Third, if he doesn’t do a shitload of work on his hand placement he will be a holding magnet in the nfl, some of the shit he does it boggles my mind that he isn’t flagged, he might be a great steeler though.

Overall, 2nd rounder for me, absolutely elite upside, lacks some finishing, lacks consistency, and I think all of that can be solved with some extra leg mass so he just has the raw push power to match his attitude, low hips, and churning feet, dude has a benchpress block that could tip dudes right the hell over if he could get some more explosion coming from the hips. The holding is a concern though, he uses it like a crutch if he doesn’t win the first bit of contact.

Disclaimer, This is based on 2018 tape where he played mostly RT

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
Dalton Risner has a lot to like, but a lot to worry about too.

First off, he’s a massive man with a mean streak, Taylor lewan like in that regard. But unfortunately, his push is so inconsistent, one play you’ll see him get in close with the arms and core coiled up and give an explosive benchpress, the next play you’ll see him in prime position to do it again but he doesn’t and then gives up a disengage to end the play.

Secondly, he’s really top heavy, waist up he looks like the nastiest bastard you’ve ever seen, waist down he looks like a TE. Never skip leg day brah, you’re an NFL OL for shits sake.

Third, if he doesn’t do a shitload of work on his hand placement he will be a holding magnet in the nfl, some of the shit he does it boggles my mind that he isn’t flagged, he might be a great steeler though.

Overall, 2nd rounder for me, absolutely elite upside, lacks some finishing, lacks consistency, and I think all of that can be solved with some extra leg mass so he just has the raw push power to match his attitude, low hips, and churning feet, dude has a benchpress block that could tip dudes right the hell over if he could get some more explosion coming from the hips. The holding is a concern though, he uses it like a crutch if he doesn’t win the first bit of contact.

Disclaimer, This is based on 2018 tape where he played mostly RT
I still really like him and think he'll end up gping in the 1st. Hes a really smart kid too so you know he studies film. Either way hed be an upgrade at LG or C for us which is where i think he'll play in the pros

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
I wonder about Bradbury holding up against a nose one on one. Most of what I've seen so far is him on the move in a stretch scheme. I've yet to see him one on one in pass protection.

We don't have a 2nd.
We will after we trade out of the 1st round LOL

Seriously, given we traded our 2nd rounder last year, I'd bet big that we seek to trade back from our 1st round pick to try and get additional picks and may be willing to trade back as far as dropping out of the 1st round completely.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
Eric De costa is a pick hoarder. We'll probably have 5 picks in the 3rd round and 3 in the 4th and none in the 1st or second.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Eric De costa is a pick hoarder. We'll probably have 5 picks in the 3rd round and 3 in the 4th and none in the 1st or second.

lol

i mean the analytics do say that its basically a crap shoot...
we'll take the guys if they're there but i think honestly you'll see us start manoeuvring around the board a lot like in 2018 moving forwards - we're going to try and trade down if the guy we really want isnt there or if there's many guys we want who are there

we started out with 8 picks and ended up with a huge haul of players (obviously that's partly assisted by giving up the 2019 2nd rounder) but the philosophy is the same

we run day 3 of the draft

I am definitely of the mind that we trade back and out of the 1st round, but I'm not so sure we trade that 1st all the way into the 3rd round.

But lets say we take that general approach ... considering that we need at least one starter ready OG/C and need help in the pass rush department, what two players are we going to be able to get to fit the bill if we end up with a early 2nd rounder and an early 3rd rounder in place of our 1st round pick? Impact pass rushers outside of the 1st round seem few and far between.

Its just my fear that we go for quantity over quality and pass on a true impact player by trading back.

Last edited:

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
Bradbury is the C though

I am definitely of the mind that we trade back and out of the 1st round, but I'm not so sure we trade that 1st all the way into the 3rd round.

But lets say we take that general approach ... considering that we need at least one starter ready OG/C and need help in the pass rush department, what two players are we going to be able to get to fit the bill if we end up with a early 2nd rounder and an early 3rd rounder in place of our 1st round pick? Impact pass rushers outside of the 1st round seem few and far between.

Its just my fear that we go for quantity over quality and pass on a true impact player by trading back.

eric prefers 3 solid players to 1 great one. Anything else would be a bonus.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
About trading back... I’d be shocked if there’s a player available at 22 that I’d rather have than an extra second and extra third and maybe even more

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
plus the added bonus of having the draft itself be way more interesting lol
Cody ford won’t be there, so for ME it’s either Montez sweat, Damien harris, Hakeem Butler, or trade.

I’d take trade over any of those guys, as of right now I don’t see anyone else I’d want at 22 but i also haven't studied much

Cody ford won’t be there, so for ME it’s either Montez sweat, Damien harris, Hakeem Butler, or trade.

I’d take trade over any of those guys, as of right now I don’t see anyone else I’d want at 22 but i also haven't studied much
But sometimes players unexpectedly drop. No one thought James would be around come pick #16 last year as an example.

So Ford is in that realm. He may likely go before #22 but what if he’s there? Do you still trade back planning to get Sweat Harris or Butler or is the drop off not worth the return in trade?

I’m just hoping our desire for more picks cause us to pass on someone who will become an elite player because those are in short supply

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
But sometimes players unexpectedly drop. No one thought James would be around come pick #16 last year as an example.

So Ford is in that realm. He may likely go before #22 but what if he’s there? Do you still trade back planning to get Sweat Harris or Butler or is the drop off not worth the return in trade?

I’m just hoping our desire for more picks cause us to pass on someone who will become an elite player because those are in short supply
I’m saying if ford is there, take him.

But I’m also saying that those are the players I like in our range but would fully prefer an extra 2nd and 3rd over any of them

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I just watched Cody Ford for the first time. Holy crap.
I’ve been saying that for over a month now. He could be a great Guard for us and a replacement for Yanda when he decides to retire. He also could cover for Brown or Stanley in case of injury.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
I’m saying if ford is there, take him.

But I’m also saying that those are the players I like in our range but would fully prefer an extra 2nd and 3rd over any of them
If you expect to get a Day 2 pick for a trade back from 22 I have some bad news for you.