• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2019 OL Thread

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
There isn't an interior lineman in this class that I've come across so far that I've disliked as a prospect. Some that I don't think are scheme fits, but are quality prospects.

As far as C's go. Jenkins and McCoy are my favorites. I think Jenkins is better because he's got better anchoring ability. But I think McCoy might be a better fit. McCoy needs to get stronger, but that's doable. You want the Ronnie Stanley of Cs, I think McCoy might be just that. Technically sounds, powerful enough to start a play, mobile enough to get to the second level. But he's super technically sound and strong enough. Roman's C doesn't necessarily need to be a guy who can downblock like a motherfucker. The guards are better equipped for that. He needs functional power, but a lot of mobility to spew open both power and zone concepts.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
There isn't an interior lineman in this class that I've come across so far that I've disliked as a prospect. Some that I don't think are scheme fits, but are quality prospects.

As far as C's go. Jenkins and McCoy are my favorites. I think Jenkins is better because he's got better anchoring ability. But I think McCoy might be a better fit. McCoy needs to get stronger, but that's doable. You want the Ronnie Stanley of Cs, I think McCoy might be just that. Technically sounds, powerful enough to start a play, mobile enough to get to the second level. But he's super technically sound and strong enough. Roman's C doesn't necessarily need to be a guy who can downblock like a motherfucker. The guards are better equipped for that. He needs functional power, but a lot of mobility to spew open both power and zone concepts.
How you feel about Nate Davis?

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor

Yes. I agree, so far, that Jenkins and McCoy are where it's at. And I think you've done a good job pointing out what sets them apart.

Having that rock solid protection that Jenkins appears to provide over McCoy is something that transcends a scheme fit. I really think he's more valuable for that reason, (Jenkins).

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
He's a guard. And a damn powerful one. Reminds me a bit of Ali Marpet in some regards
I think he’s got maybe the highest ceiling at G in this class, he’s just a straight up beast, a man among boys when he gets to run block.

It’s a shame he plays tackle in college, I really wanna see film of him at his natural position

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
I think he’s got maybe the highest ceiling at G in this class, he’s just a straight up beast, a man among boys when he gets to run block.

It’s a shame he plays tackle in college, I really wanna see film of him at his natural position
He reminds me a lot of Isiaha Wynn.

I know Bozeman looks good but given the talent in this class I wouldn’t be opposed to triple dipping

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
something is wrong if we don't come out of this draft/fa with help at guard and/center

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
I've been paying special attention today to Boyle but I can't help but see how much they require of him in pass protection as well as in the run game. Orlando really needs to step it up this year. he leaves a lot to be desired vs. pressure on the outside...not good at all generally.

Skura cannot continue at center...he cannot. In fact there are plenty of mid to late round prospects that can do the swing interior thing. I'm not sure we should even keep him

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Been mentioning Chris Lindstrom and Cody Ford on and off since during the college season. I refreshed myself with both and started looking at Jonah Williams.

I like him but he strikes me more of a 2nd rounder. He anchors well and I wouldn't be completely upset taking him in the first round, but I don't see him being the bpa at #22. I watched him among other games handle Christian Wilkins from Clemson well -- posted some clips below of him anchoring well versus him. I watched him play RT and G, he's definitely IMO a G. I don't think he has the athleticism-lock down ability to play RT even though his athletic metrics were really good at the combine. He can get to the 2nd level well. Strong hands. Mirrors well. He seems to lose his balance though some and to my eyes he doesn't pop on film where you are wowed. But he looks consistent and will be good IMO.

Cody Ford while didn't test that hot at the combine, to me is at a different level than Lindstrom. That dude really locks down where he looks like the defenders have no chance. Strong hands. He looks more athletic in games than he appeared at the combine. They actually ran some power with him where he pulled from his tackle spot. To my eyes he can work at RT or G and might be elite level at G. I like Lindstrom but he doesn't strike me with elite potential like Ford. Ford dealt with Jennings (granted Jennings isn't anyone special) in the championship like it was child's play.

lindstrom2.png.6c36b8562209f8ce03c53ec72c05e5fe.png

lindstrom.png.412fad23726cd57ee7bf7319036babc4.png

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Garrett Bradbury is growing on me again. I soured because of his anchor and lack of push, but there’s something so appealing about getting a goddamn artisan of a center in a scheme that can be very dependent on IQ and moving and versatility. I wouldn’t mind at all seeing him and Nate Davis or Conner McGovern or Chris lindstrom(doubt we could get both Bradbury and lindstrom) because all of those guards add good power to a line who’s got some good power players already, and Bradbury is still an upgrade over skura in power but also is elite in the technical and athletic aspect of everything. It would be a massive net upgrade across the board, give Greg Roman a “toy” that he could task with moving blocks that most centers couldn’t pull off, and would give us an unquestioned “captain” of the OL for when yanda leaves.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Garrett Bradbury is growing on me again. I soured because of his anchor and lack of push, but there’s something so appealing about getting a goddamn artisan of a center in a scheme that can be very dependent on IQ and moving and versatility. I wouldn’t mind at all seeing him and Nate Davis or Conner McGovern or Chris lindstrom(doubt we could get both Bradbury and lindstrom) because all of those guards add good power to a line who’s got some good power players already, and Bradbury is still an upgrade over skura in power but also is elite in the technical and athletic aspect of everything. It would be a massive net upgrade across the board and would give us an unquestioned “captain” of the OL for when yanda leaves
I would absolutely be thrilled landing Bradbury in the first round and believe he will be there when we are on the clock.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
Garrett Bradbury is growing on me again. I soured because of his anchor and lack of push, but there’s something so appealing about getting a goddamn artisan of a center in a scheme that can be very dependent on IQ and moving and versatility. I wouldn’t mind at all seeing him and Nate Davis or Conner McGovern or Chris lindstrom(doubt we could get both Bradbury and lindstrom) because all of those guards add good power to a line who’s got some good power players already, and Bradbury is still an upgrade over skura in power but also is elite in the technical and athletic aspect of everything. It would be a massive net upgrade across the board, give Greg Roman a “toy” that he could task with moving blocks that most centers couldn’t pull off, and would give us an unquestioned “captain” of the OL for when yanda leaves.
I love your using ,"artisan" as a descriptive. Im not sure Ive ever heard that word used to describe a football player...seems appropriate in his case.
Id say our solution lies just in between Bradbury and Jenkins in the person of Erik McCoy. He's really been growing on me the more I watch

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
I love your using ,"artisan" as a descriptive. Im not sure Ive ever heard that word used to describe a football player...seems appropriate in his case.
Id say our solution lies just in between Bradbury and Jenkins in the person of Erik McCoy. He's really been growing on me the more I watch
McCoy is C1 for me.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I watched one game of McCoy and wasn’t impressed. I felt like if someone wanted to complain about strength and anchor then McCoy should be a target just as much, if not more than Bradbury. But then again I’ve watched like 4 games of Bradbury and never once felt like his anchor was so bad that he wouldn’t overcome, and only watched one game of McCoys.

If we have an extremely mobile, technical, agile, and smart center then I think weakish play strength can definitely be overcome as long as he’s surrounded by power, grabbing a Nate Davis, Chris lindstrom, or Conner McGovern would solve that situation, and if Bradbury is the starting C then I’m perfectly comfortable with 2 rookies on the interior because Bradbury is just that sound, the inexperience thing just wouldn’t be a worry for me. Plus I really love the idea of giving Greg Roman a “weapon” of sorts at C, I feel like he could scheme up some brilliance with a guy who moves like him, and you would never worry about the exotic block packages in regards to assignment, because you have a field general at C who’s going to synchronize everything.

Another guy who keeps getting left out, a mid day 3 prospect, is Nate herbig, he is an absolute mammoth of a man