• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Free Agency 2019

JAAM

Hall of Famer
I really like the Bethel signing. Any kind of standout STer is welcomed in my eyes.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
But uhhhhh, Eric.......WR?

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
strange that Judon took all Ravens stuff off his twitter account page and the tweet of the comic showing him backing his bags certainly looks like he is being traded. Atleast that's how I'm reading it.....thoughts?

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
strange that Judon took all Ravens stuff off his twitter account page and the tweet of the comic showing him backing his bags certainly looks like he is being traded. Atleast that's how I'm reading it.....thoughts?
I wonder what we would even get for him?

rossihunter2

Staff Member

i dont think its any biggie - he retweeted the suggs goodbye vid and still follows loads of ravens on twitter

and his most recent liked tweet was this in response to someone bringing up that he'd scrubbed his account of ravens stuff:

"Been like that for weeks now bro. He’s still got 1 year left on his rookie contract. He ain’t goin nowhere bro. Trust me. @man_dammn is gonna be a Raven for life and get millions coming very soon!!! #PcBG #FlockGang #InJudonWeTrust"

so tbh i think this is a whole lot of nothing and people only just noticed something that happened weeks ago...
he's not going anywhere unless we get an offer that really moves the needle and even then im not sure why we would get rid anyway - he's as it stands our number 1 EDGE and only one with starting experience at that position on the roster

we've got players at every position on the roster with quality starts except WR and EDGE (and to some degree IOL depending on your definition of quality)

mc_red23

Pro Bowler

He's been tweeting some weird stuff in the past few days. He also made comments about how he won't be signing any 4/5 year contracts and took offence to the idea of being asked to take a discount to stay with the team that drafted him.

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer

i dont think its any biggie - he retweeted the suggs goodbye vid and still follows loads of ravens on twitter

and his most recent liked tweet was this in response to someone bringing up that he'd scrubbed his account of ravens stuff:

"Been like that for weeks now bro. He’s still got 1 year left on his rookie contract. He ain’t goin nowhere bro. Trust me. @man_dammn is gonna be a Raven for life and get millions coming very soon!!! #PcBG #FlockGang #InJudonWeTrust"

so tbh i think this is a whole lot of nothing and people only just noticed something that happened weeks ago...
he's not going anywhere unless we get an offer that really moves the needle and even then im not sure why we would get rid anyway - he's as it stands our number 1 EDGE and only one with starting experience at that position on the roster

we've got players at every position on the roster with quality starts except WR and EDGE (and to some degree IOL depending on your definition of quality)
Maybe it's just in response to everyone leaving.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
This from Brian Mcfarland to contextualise the comp pick situation as it stands:

DeCosta has made it clear that he thinks you can never have enough draft picks, so I think it’s likely that they expect both Urban & Maxx Williams to sign elsewhere & qualify as losses for Comp pick purposes. That would restore 2 Comp picks, unless offset by further UFA signings.

and this from Zrebiec on jimmy smith:

Don’t think Bethel addition impacts Jimmy Smith’s status. Ravens want to keep him. If they get desperate for cap room, plans could change. With Bethel, Ravens always looking to bolster special teams.

Ken Mckusick - seems to think there's some sort of roster bonus due for jimmy smith if he's on the team tomorrow and thinks he'll be traded or cut before then

i have to say that personally im not sure why we'd have kept him this long only to cut him now

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
This from Brian Mcfarland to contextualise the comp pick situation as it stands:

DeCosta has made it clear that he thinks you can never have enough draft picks, so I think it’s likely that they expect both Urban & Maxx Williams to sign elsewhere & qualify as losses for Comp pick purposes. That would restore 2 Comp picks, unless offset by further UFA signings.

and this from Zrebiec on jimmy smith:

Don’t think Bethel addition impacts Jimmy Smith’s status. Ravens want to keep him. If they get desperate for cap room, plans could change. With Bethel, Ravens always looking to bolster special teams.

Ken Mckusick - seems to think there's some sort of roster bonus due for jimmy smith if he's on the team tomorrow and thinks he'll be traded or cut before then

i have to say that personally im not sure why we'd have kept him this long only to cut him now
I have to agree with Zrebiec. I don't think Bethel will impact whether we trade or cut Jimmy and to your point Rossi, we would have cut him already if we were planning on moving on.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I really like the Bethel signing. Any kind of standout STer is welcomed in my eyes.
I agree and I believe there is more to this than meets the eye. Maybe we are going to give Chris Moore more snaps as a WR and keep him fresh by giving him less snaps as a ST.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I agree and I believe there is more to this than meets the eye. Maybe we are going to give Chris Moore more snaps as a WR and keep him fresh by giving him less snaps as a ST.
I think we address wr early in the draft, I can’t see it any other way. Eric has a good idea who will be available and probably knows that position can be addressed there.

And it will probably be for the wrong player lol.

Simba

Staff Member
I think we address wr early in the draft, I can’t see it any other way. Eric has a good idea who will be available and probably knows that position can be addressed there.

And it will probably be for the wrong player lol.

Yeah I don't think we have any other choice. This WR FA class was pretty bad overall. I'd expect us to look for another veteran to add to the mix at some point, but I also think DeCosta realizes he needs to draft guys at this point.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Yeah I don't think we have any other choice. This WR FA class was pretty bad overall. I'd expect us to look for another veteran to add to the mix at some point, but I also think DeCosta realizes he needs to draft guys at this point.

im hopeful - there's no way we can get away with not adding to the receiver room - but there's no one left out there who would necessarily add anything except below-average at best level play

rossihunter2

Staff Member
just watching some justin houston film
on top of being a great run defender on the edge and obvious a productive edge rusher, he also rushes from the inside as well which means he'd make even more sense here given that we just lost ZDS as our only real option for an OLB to rush inside - not saying that's the only place he'd rush from but that flexibility would make our rush packages more diverse and add that speed element to our rush inside

Simba

Staff Member
im hopeful - there's no way we can get away with not adding to the receiver room - but there's no one left out there who would necessarily add anything except below-average at best level play

We'll probably approach the veteran FA like we have the past few years - wait for someone to be cut after the draft and other moves shake things up. It's certainly not ideal, but my hope is that a move like that is viewed as supplementary to drafting a younger guy or two, not a solution in and of itself.

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
just watching some justin houston film
on top of being a great run defender on the edge and obvious a productive edge rusher, he also rushes from the inside as well which means he'd make even more sense here given that we just lost ZDS as our only real option for an OLB to rush inside - not saying that's the only place he'd rush from but that flexibility would make our rush packages more diverse and add that speed element to our rush inside

I've been watching highlights of him since he got released. I believe that he'd be a great fit for us.