• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Free Agency 2019

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
Kenny Young was the 3rd best ILB on the roster, how is he suddenly leapfrog not only Mosley, but also Peanut who outplayed him down the stretch to become the teams number 1?

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Kenny Young was the 3rd best ILB on the roster, how is he suddenly leapfrog not only Mosley, but also Peanut who outplayed him down the stretch to become the teams number 1?

number 1 and playcaller are not the same thing - but he would naturally play more snaps than peanut because he's better in coverage and therefore less likely to be replaced by the dime on 3rd downs

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
By the time the Ravens are likely recovered from blowing the Mosley contract, it will be near end of Lamar's rookie deal so it will be time to pay him, the young defense will be significantly less so.

I just don't get how you are a contender NOW and throwing that away because it might help LATER IF you replace him is a sound decision.

He signs elsewhere, they aren't contending either of the next 2 seasons. There is just no one on the roster now or in draft who can replace him.
Its not gonna be beacuse of mosley if we arent contenders. We all are still hoping our Qb can fix his issues.. we also have rb, wr,S and pass rushing issues as while. Not to mention C and G.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
i mean good luck to him but that's just not tenable for us as a defence...

it does leave us missing now a load of starters on our defence:

1. FS - Weddle released
  2. ILB - CJ UFA (and between these 2 we've lost all our defensive playcallers)
  3. OLB - Terrell Suggs (our other defensive leader)
  4. DE - Brent Urban
that's 4 starters already and Jimmy Smith is not necessarily safe which would mean we lose a CB starter
and ZDS wasn't a starter on our defence but was our 3rd OLB

there's some obvious replacements for some of those spots: looks like the ravens are pretty confident elliott/clark can step up, and chris wormley is tailor-made to replace urban as the starter

i never foresaw this much turnover on our defence this offseason - we havent seen this kind of overhaul since 2013
And it happened when we finally have some semblance of salary cap space.
Inflation is a bitch.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
And it happened when we finally have some semblance of salary cap space.
Inflation is a bitch.

like i never thought we'd have this much of an exodus - like i know we're not rebuilding but the roster turnover is reminiscent of a rebuild
i wonder how active we'll be in terms of volume of signings - i wonder if this is a concerted effort by Eric to get younger all over the field

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
like i never thought we'd have this much of an exodus - like i know we're not rebuilding but the roster turnover is reminiscent of a rebuild
i wonder how active we'll be in terms of volume of signings - i wonder if this is a concerted effort by Eric to get younger all over the field
Except on the left corner

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
Its not gonna be beacuse of mosley if we arent contenders. We all are still hoping our Qb can fix his issues.. we also have rb, wr,S and pass rushing issues as while. Not to mention C and G.

The QB and RB will likely not be important as to whether they contend.

The defense as is, is good enough that with 1 new S and resigning Mosley (maybe Urban to) that will be better than last year when they carried the team.

The offense just needs a C then they can resume pounding the rock to shorten games for the D to carry.