• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Well-Mannered Politics Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
Just another one of those 3 anti trump one pro trump discussions

Appearantly some book came out saying that Trump insulted sessions and kelly and the like and the guy was trying to explain why he thought it was crap, as usual though the other 3 just kept shouting him down while Don kept trying to say he wasn’t acting biased.

So the pro trump guy said that of course he was biased and so was don but Lemon just kept denying it, it was infuriating to watch
I've stayed away from CNN so I don't know what's going on unless someone shares something on social media.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
Sad thing is, all that will be talked about is gun control, and banning guns. When in reality, the shooter did this because he was bullied and picked on by students and even coaches at the school. Yep even adults bullied a kid.
Super late on this one, but I think it's important to talk about.

We should never blame a school shooting on a person getting bullied. Shooting up a school IS NOT a normal reaction to being bullied. Talking to an adult is.

If someone is willing to shoot up a school, there are deeper psychological issues going on. Bullying does not flip a normal person's switch and make them want to shoot up a school. I think it's also horrendous to look at a victim and go, "Well, if you hadn't told him his haircut was ugly, he wouldn't have pumped 20 rounds of lead into you."

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
With regards to players kneeling, I find it really quite the hypocritical issue and a perplexing one.

Perplexing because in no other instance in history is kneeling viewed as disrespectful. Kneeling is viewed as a sign of submission and respect. You kneel before royalty to show your respect. You kneel when a player gets injured on the field in a sign of respect and hope for their health. You kneel in surrender. Kneeling during prayer is a sign of submission to God.

Only in this one instance has kneeling been viewed as disrespectful.

It's hypocritical because, and I'm genuinely asking, but expect I know the answer, has anyone here every stood for the National Anthem at home? Do you do it every single week? Or are you making food, sitting on the couch, eating, etc?

Have you ever worn something with the American flag on it? Used anything like napkins or plates with the flag on it? These all violate how we are supposed to treat the flag, but I consistently see people wearing the flag on clothing and wiping their mouths with American flag napkins as they eat off their American flag plates on the Fourth of July.

It's just really... confusing to me.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Guys, I wore my Nike sneakers today to get Chic Fil A.. What does this make me?

A person. I like chicken sandwiches and I think Nike makes good workout clothes.....

People who care about this just need to shut the fuck up lol. I hate Kaepernick because I think he's a shitty QB anyways, but honestly at this point the politics are meaningless to me. Nike can do whatever they want and as far as I'm concerned they have an overpriced but decent product that I can get insane resale value for on Amazon(unless they're Jordans... Which suck anyways. Fight me)

With regards to kneeling. I personally don't like it(rather I don't like the pettiness from either side... more of I just hate this polarized culture in general) but the rule for it is insanely idiotic. I still have to agree with urinatingtree that the kneeling is more of an excuse if anything to boycott the league for, an increasingly lower quality product due to shitty management and rules set by Godell, as well as INSANE corruption from several NFL owners(thank god Biscotti is actually a decent guy). Fans have all the reason to be alienated and leave the sport anyways, and well the kneeling just is a perfect scapegoat especially since Kaepernick, who is generally unlikeable figure anyways, is leading the charge.

I don't care. No one should care. And these boycotts are fucking stupid. There's a legit reason to boycott Nike too. This Kaepernick thing, not one of em, even though I find Nike to be hilariously smart in an infuriating way to do this(they knew it would get a lot of attention, and in the long run they'll likely earn their money back). Not going to stop me from buying sneakers on resale value or good running shirts(even if they're overpriced as shit).

In N Out Burger is a private company, and they can do whatever the fuck they want. They donated to the other party? Who cares? In N Out has donated to several democrat causes too.

Chic FIl A has ownership that doesn't support gay marriage... Yet they've happily supplied their product at gay pride festivals and helped out with the Pulse Nightclub shootings, donating both food and money to the cause. You could argue that "it's just a good business decision" but I don't see their CEO trying to undermine the constitution in anyway even though he's likely a billionaire who can meet with the President whenever the fuck he wants to(and yes, corporate america has ALWAYS had an influence on the hill). If you're a LGBTQ person you can still go buy chicken sandwiches with no resistance whatsoever, and they're reasonably priced and delicious. When they start openly discriminating against those people as a COMPANY(not saying there isn't a racist chic fil a manager in the world. The harsh but unfortunate truth is that racism, sexism, homophobia will never die no matter how good education is. Some people are just lost causes and suck) THEN I will boycott them. But he's infringing on anyone's right. He has a different a opinion. One I HEAVILY disagree with. HEAVILY. But his sandwiches don't hurt anyone and their business practices are actually the best in the business in terms of hospitality.

At the end of the day. Who cares?

rossihunter2

Staff Member

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
Super late on this one, but I think it's important to talk about.

We should never blame a school shooting on a person getting bullied. Shooting up a school IS NOT a normal reaction to being bullied. Talking to an adult is.

If someone is willing to shoot up a school, there are deeper psychological issues going on. Bullying does not flip a normal person's switch and make them want to shoot up a school. I think it's also horrendous to look at a victim and go, "Well, if you hadn't told him his haircut was ugly, he wouldn't have pumped 20 rounds of lead into you."
I tend to agree with this. But bullying can absolutely be the trigger that puts people with psychological issues over the edge. Bullying definitely isn’t the ONLY thing to blame for school shootings, but that doesn’t mean it can’t play a part in some cases, because it only worsens the kids’ psychological problems.

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
With regards to players kneeling, I find it really quite the hypocritical issue and a perplexing one.

Perplexing because in no other instance in history is kneeling viewed as disrespectful. Kneeling is viewed as a sign of submission and respect. You kneel before royalty to show your respect. You kneel when a player gets injured on the field in a sign of respect and hope for their health. You kneel in surrender. Kneeling during prayer is a sign of submission to God.

It's hypocritical because, and I'm genuinely asking, but expect I know the answer, has anyone here every stood for the National Anthem at home? Do you do it every single week? Or are you making food, sitting on the couch, eating, etc?

Have you ever worn something with the American flag on it? Used anything like napkins or plates with the flag on it? These all violate how we are supposed to treat the flag, but I consistently see people wearing the flag on clothing and wiping their mouths with American flag napkins as they eat off their American flag plates on the Fourth of July.

Honestly this whole thing is just ridiculous. I don’t have a problem with people disagreeing with players kneeling, but them kneeling personally effects ZERO people. There’s no reason to be so outraged over it. There’s no reason to hate someone for peacefully protesting.

The only problem I have is Nike’s new slogan for him. He didn’t sacrifice shit, he’s a backup level QB who turned down job offers and now has a huge contract with Nike. That doesn’t sound like a sacrifice. The military, police officers, fire fighters, they put everything on the line...And even though I have a problem with that, I’m not gonna boycott Nike, I’m not gonna go crazy over that. Because at the end of the day it changes nothing in my life.

Everyone’s so freaking sensitive. If it doesn’t personally effect my life than do whatever tf you want.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Everyone’s so freaking sensitive. If it doesn’t personally effect my life than do whatever tf you want.
This is pretty much my rationale behind everything. I like disagreement because usually the right answer is neither left nor right, it's in the middle. "But the middle isn't a position people can get behind".. Most people who get it are in the middle.

Sorry if the comments trigger anyone..but I don't care. Life isn't easy for anyone. It's easier for some people and it's harder for some people. I've been lucky enough and blessed the past five years as my family has gotten to experience the 1% but at the same exact time I've been in a middle class family. It's why unlike my other rich friends, I have a definitive work ethic. I get up at 4am most mornings to go to work, ontop of being a full time student who's preparing for business and law school. I work too damn hard to be offended by everything, and to be honest, having seen the parts of the world recently where it genuinely sucks with my own eyes.. The majority of the people in the USA have it incredibly good. There's problems, there's no doubt that there's problems, no place is perfect except for heaven. But quality of life here is far and away better than in most places. There's racism, sexism, across the pond too.

I'm sick of people getting offended by EVERYTHING. Who the fuck cares? You know actual what racists, sexists, homophobes, etc. all have in common? They're lost causes. They're living in an era that is so archaic that they shouldn't be worth our effort. And while they do exist, a vast majority of the population is good. Some people just can't be saved by education. That's a lesson EVERYONE needs to learn sooner or later. Education is the solution. But it's not universal because some people just suck. They're not worth reasoning with, they're unreasonable. And shaming them only gives them a bigger voice because you're trying to reason with them.

And as for the people who actually get offended by just about everything the "free speech is hate speech" crowd that sadly has a voice here in Boulder... Listen. You want real equality? This is real equality. I do not give a shit about your race, gender, sexual orientation, or religious BELIEFS(practices are different and I'll explain that in a second). I will not judge you for that. I don't consider myself color blind, or anything like that. My truth is, I will not judge you for anything except your character and actions. If you're a good person, and you actively go out and make everyone else's life better, then it shouldn't fucking matter what your skin color, or race, or sexual orientation, or culture, whatever. I think those characteristics make each of us very different and that's a good thing. If you're not hurting or insulting anyone, do whatever the hell you want. Practice whatever belief you want to.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor

The players are doing this as a protest not as submission or respect. Standing is the way you show respect in just about any country that I can think of when the national song is played. When you also talk about do you stand at home that is your own private setting and not an open public display of disrespect.

As for stuff you wear or eat on that displays the symbol that's fine its the actual flag itself you are not supposed to wear,eat on,sleep on,whatever. Only time when I personally am ok with it is when somebody is showing true patriosim pride ie like an Olympic athlete wearing it over his shoulders but still that is considered defacing.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
The players are doing this as a protest not as submission or respect. Standing is the way you show respect in just about any country that I can think of when the national song is played. When you also talk about do you stand at home that is your own private setting and not an open public display of disrespect.

As for stuff you wear or eat on that displays the symbol that's fine its the actual flag itself you are not supposed to wear,eat on,sleep on,whatever. Only time when I personally am ok with it is when somebody is showing true patriosim pride ie like an Olympic athlete wearing it over his shoulders but still that is considered defacing.
Can you name me a single other place where kneeling is viewed as disrespectful?

Who cares if it's public or private? If people are going to make a big deal about players standing for the National Anthem, you better be standing at all times when it is played. But then again, I've gone to plenty of sporting events where people sat during the National Anthem and no one threw a fit at those people. Plenty of people I went to school with who had different nationalities would sit during the Pledge. Never saw someone throw a fit there.

Okay, so glad you pointed out the athletes wearing it over their shoulders- it IS against the flag code. Why has no one ever been up in arms about it?

Side note: I don't wear anything with American flag apparel on it or use anything with the American flag printed on it. I don't want to deface the flag in any way.

Last edited:

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
Can you name me a single other place where kneeling is viewed as disrespectful?

Who cares if it's public or private? If people are going to make a big deal about players standing for the National Anthem, you better be standing at all times when it is played. But then again, I've gone to plenty of sporting events where people sat during the National Anthem and no one threw a fit at those people. Plenty of people I went to school with who had different nationalities would sit during the Pledge. Never saw someone throw a fit there.

Okay, so glad you pointed out the athletes wearing it over their shoulders- it IS against the flag code. Why has no one ever been up in arms about it?

Side note: I don't wear anything with American flag apparel on it or use anything with the American flag printed on it. I don't want to deface the flag in any way.

See you're going down the wrong road. Its not about the kneeling. Its about not standing. You are asked to stand for the National Anthem.

Also people do get up in arms about athletes wearing the flag and when people are sitting I'd bet there is a lot of people are thinking they're asswipes.
Maybe those guys that kneel could give a little bit of a crap about the people they offending...……….but the don't. The National Anthem is not only our song about country but its also about the military. Actually if I remember correctly it was a military veteran who suggested he kneel to just show a little more respect than just sitting ( which is how his protest started) but that's one guy. Most accept neither.

Also with the apparel you are not defacing if you wear something with a design of the flag. Again it is the flag itself you cannot wear.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
See you're going down the wrong road. Its not about the kneeling. Its about not standing. You are asked to stand for the National Anthem.

Also people do get up in arms about athletes wearing the flag and when people are sitting I'd bet there is a lot of people are thinking they're asswipes.
Maybe those guys that kneel could give a little bit of a crap about the people they offending...……….but the don't. The National Anthem is not only our song about country but its also about the military. Actually if I remember correctly it was a military veteran who suggested he kneel to just show a little more respect than just sitting ( which is how his protest started) but that's one guy. Most accept neither.

Also with the apparel you are not defacing if you wear something with a design of the flag. Again it is the flag itself you cannot wear.
Okay, so again let me ask the question- in what other instance is the kneeling ever viewed as disrespectful?

Where are people getting up in arms and throwing protests about the Olympics? Where are people burning the gear that sponsor these athletes?

The National Anthem also several racist undertones and there's a reason we don't sing the first verse (the same way that Germany doesn't sing their entire National Anthem), but I digress.

But let me ask this- why is it disrespectful to take a knee? A knee is universally seen as a symbol of respect and submission, so why is it offensive? What about this is doing something to directly impact the lives of these people in a way that they should feel offended? Unless exercising our First Amendment Rights is now offensive and unAmerican.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
Okay, so again let me ask the question- in what other instance is the kneeling ever viewed as disrespectful?

Where are people getting up in arms and throwing protests about the Olympics? Where are people burning the gear that sponsor these athletes?

The National Anthem also several racist undertones and there's a reason we don't sing the first verse (the same way that Germany doesn't sing their entire National Anthem), but I digress.

But let me ask this- why is it disrespectful to take a knee? A knee is universally seen as a symbol of respect and submission, so why is it offensive? What about this is doing something to directly impact the lives of these people in a way that they should feel offended? Unless exercising our First Amendment Rights is now offensive and unAmerican.

What does the stadium announcer say??? Will everybody please STAND for your National Anthem. I cant make it anymore simpler.

Ludy51

Hall of Famer
So I see you can't answer my questions, can you?
As an honest question why would other scenarios matter?

If you’re asking to follow up with that if it’s not disrespectful other times then why is it bad now, I would respond that being asked to stand for a symbol for others, and then not doing that is disrespectful

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
As an honest question why would other scenarios matter?

If you’re asking to follow up with that if it’s not disrespectful other times then why is it bad now, I would respond that being asked to stand for a symbol for others, and then not doing that is disrespectful
In what other scenarios is kneeling offensive matters because if it is never offensive or disrepsectful except in this single isolated insident, we probably don't have an issue with kneeling.

If Kaep had said he wanted to kneel due to the great respect and reverence he felt toward the country, do you think the same level of backlash would apply?

I'm very curious to see if the same level of backlash has ever been had when Olympians wear the flag as a cape. Both acts are viewed as disrespectful, but I don't ever see any uproar with Olympians because it's a prideful event, so people are willing to overlook the fact that this violates written code because he's doing it to show pride. However, Kaep does it to raise awareness for issues he feels are occurring in the US and he's public enemy one. Total double standard

Also, who decided we should stand and why is it so important? Why do we care that an announcer said to stand for the National Anthem?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.