• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Well-Mannered Politics Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
Not really. As we've already said several times, the flag was a non-issue before Krapernick fabricated the outrage and resentment it would supposedly cause. When was the last time you even heard the BR flag talked about?

Truth is, nobody has brought it up aside from this.
Not really. As we've already said several times, the flag was a non-issue before Krapernick fabricated the outrage and resentment it would supposedly cause. When was the last time you even heard the BR flag talked about?

I can't speak for everyone, but I do agree with you that nobody really had an issue with it.

It's still possible for some to feel a little weird about it (my opinion, it's unlikely for the most part)

Me? Personally? I never cared for that flag. Means nothing to me. It represents an era that I was not a part of and if I was there I would not be able to participate.

flynismo

Practice Squad

I can't speak for everyone, but I do agree with you that nobody really had an issue with it.

It's still possible for some to feel a little weird about it (my opinion, it's unlikely for the most part)

Me? Personally? I never cared for that flag. Means nothing to me. It represents an era that I was not a part of and if I was there I would not be able to participate.

Agreed, it means little to me personally as well, aside from it being a part of our history. I expect that is what 99.9% of people would have said if asked last friday night as well....I really hate all these political games that go on today.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
Agreed, it means little to me personally as well, aside from it being a part of our history. I expect that is what 99.9% of people would have said if asked last friday night as well....I really hate all these political games that go on today.

No matter what side you are on anything, it pays to make anything a big deal.

cobrajet

Hall of Famer
I have a strange feeling that the controversy this is causing, may end up hurting Nike. I have been noticing a lot of anger about this on social media. Usually, most people that agree with something a company does that is controversial do not buy extra product to make up for the customers they lose over the controversy. If I was a stockholder, I would not be happy over all this. To be honest, I am a little upset at Nike myself because I don’t want to get mixed up wearing something that could cause issues. I don’t wear things that are political or could be off-putting to some individuals. I also put none of those things on my vehicle. I just want to go out and be left alone. I just bought some shorts and a golf shirt at the Nike store about a week and a half ago. I wore the shirt, but have not cut the tags off the shorts yet, so they will be going back. I like New Balance shoes and I like Under Armor clothing just as much as Nike, so I will just stick with them from now on.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor

I think more people should understand this is a different era many times over. They talking about slave reparations now. You know who's gonna make money. Lawyers trying to dig thru this mess and they'll charge the govt who in return will tax the reparations that goes to the receipients. Those reparations will be paid by the taxpayers regardless of who their descendents are and that includes the receipients. The bottomline to all this is its about the pandering. Looking for votes with lies and false promises.

Getting back to history since I was swerving a little lol. Every area on the planet has had a rough history that involved slavery. Basically in history any tribe or clan or whoever when victorious took the defeated as slaves especially the women. You can say this about any race. So should we just forget history? Teach only certain aspects? A country's history is its history. Good and bad. Remember I said if you have the chance to listen to all what Trump said about Charlottesville. If you did then you heard him talk about whats next. Was they also gonna start going after George Washington and Thomas Jefferson. Yes they are and then next it will be the Constitution.

The Betsy Ross flag was just our flag at one time and that's it. Nothing more. Nothing less.

JPPT1974

Practice Squad
Colin K really has lost of respect there. When he began kneeling. In particular the military! I have two nephews in the military, a father that served, and a grandfather who is no longer with us serving in WWII, drafted out of HS.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Colin K really has lost of respect there. When he began kneeling. In particular the military! I have two nephews in the military, a father that served, and a grandfather who is no longer with us serving in WWII, drafted out of HS.
Colin Kaepernick did not protest against American military.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
4th.jpg

Happy 243'rd.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
She didn’t say that. She said he lost the respect of the military.
As someone who has a lot of members of the military in my personal circle, both active and veteran... This is the truth. His intentions were not to offend the military but he did alienate them.

Personally, I didn't care until this stupid shit with the BR flag. I hadn't thought about Kaepernick in months, I'm sure no one else did, and it's just a pathetic attempt to virtue signal and grab attention.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Personally, I didn't care until this stupid shit with the BR flag. I hadn't thought about Kaepernick in months, I'm sure no one else did, and it's just a pathetic attempt to virtue signal and grab attention.

so you dont believe that he genuinely has an issue and this is just virtue signalling?
you cant fathom why anyone would have a problem with it?

im not saying you have to agree with them but can you seriously not understand why there are groups who have grievances...?

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
so you dont believe that he genuinely has an issue and this is just virtue signalling?
you cant fathom why anyone would have a problem with it?

im not saying you have to agree with them but can you seriously not understand why there are groups who have grievances...?
I understand why these groups have grievances. There's plenty at history to be mad at, but most advances in this country have been done by terrible means. Look back at any of human history. It's nothing but war, disease, death, and slavery. A lot of medical advances in this country were done through illegal experimentation and combining illegal substances together. Most of the developed world, whether it be the United States or most of Europe, Asia, was built off of the backs of racism and slavery in some way, shape, or form. Should we abandon those too? Should we tear down all the buildings?

History should never be forgotten. That's a message that's actually worth spreading. A message people should be spreading. People who were going to wear this shoe aren't going to be white supremacists. Celebrating America is nothing to apologize for. That's a sparsely small fraction of the U.S population who are racist, xenaphobic.

And I'm sorry, but the country, as a whole, has moved forward. From a legal perspective, our federal government has done everything it's supposed to. To believe you can completely eradicate racism, sexism, homophobia, etc is hilariously naive. Those things should never be condoned, but life is not fair. Some people in the world just suck. Sorry, not sorry, it's true.

But this is virtue signaling to the highest order. And he's clearly trying to grab attention here. No one has heard from him in months. This is no different from when he praised Fidel Castro, a very oppressive world leader who unless Donald Trump was also a serial killer, could never be worse than. I doubt he believes it. I doubt that's the case here. Why do I say that? Most Americans don't even know what that flag is, and if they learned it, that was from decades ago. Most Americans don't even know who Betsy Ross is. They'll probably think she's the Incredible Hulk's love interest(Betty Ross). Most Americans, myself included, would have ignored this (sorry fly) ugly-ass shoe and it probably would've been a failure. Kaepernick is making a mountain out of a molehill. The people who are mad, get mad at almost any instance. Getting mad at every little thing accomplishes nothing. That flag is not a symbol of racism, sexism, etc. It never was.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Most people who work for the government do 3-5 years there, get sick of the lack of pay, and then they go work in the private sector for a massive pay increase.

That’s my plan too lol
this isn't true at all. Yes, you do have some people who work under 5 years for the government, but you have a large amount of people who work a lifetime for the government because of the damn good pension they have.

Status
Not open for further replies.