• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Well-Mannered Politics Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
How long until we are in a lockdown for a certain amount of time? As in nobody can go out unless going to the store, bank, doctors, basically what's happening in Italy.

I just really want things to return to normal... and my sports back.

It is going to take a while if the American public doesn't take this serious

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
I know Hogan has closed down restaurants, movie theaters and the like where you have public congretion. Kills my work for right now but I have to agree with his move. I'm all for freedom of assembly and such but we have to be responsible at the same time.

Responsibility does not exist.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Unless if everybody was infected. You just put high risk and old people on lockdown.
Well there’s a 2 week symptom free incubation period so it’s essentially impossible since high risk people are getting infected through normal every day interactions.

the only way to do that would basically be to lock up all the high risk people and let this run it’s course BEFORE an outbreak occurs. Once the virus begins to spread its too late

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Do you know if there is a country which tries to fight the virus with herd immunity?

Can’t do that when there’s no immunity. Vaccines aren’t discovered for this yet

Unless if everybody was infected. You just put high risk and old people on lockdown.

until about 4 days ago this was supposedly the UK government strategy - a significant amount of epidimiologists, scientists and non-establishment media (we have a problem with a government mouthpiece media establishment who love the word 'anonymous source') were questioning the stance for exactly the reasons you stated joey - you cant have herd immunity without 95% of the population being immune and the only way for that to happen is either for vast swathes of the population to get and recover from the virus or to be vaccinated (and a vaccine hasnt been found and tested and mass produced yet)

with an estimated 60% infection rate and 3% mortality rate we'd have been looking at (linearly) over a million deaths in the UK - with the protection and isolation of obvious vulnerable communities that number was projected to be around 800,000 or so

all the while this policy was being pushed we were getting no official response from the government until earlier this week when they finally revealed that they were changing policy because their strategy models had predicted deaths of over 200,000 people even if our health service was not overrun with cases

so the strategy has now been changed from letting as many people get infected as possible to now a policy of social distancing and self-isolation with the idea of flattening the curve and delaying the peak for as long as possible which is the conventional wisdom that almost every other country in the world has been following

so to answer your question @cdp - the UK's initial position was to fight the virus with herd immunity before they were sufficiently called out by some elements of the media, the WHO and world leading epidimiologists and have now changed strategy

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Interesting. Azithromycin should not have any effect on a virus as it's an antibiotic that cures bacterial infections but there you go.
Well we do know that covid19 isn’t referring to the virus, but actually the effects of the virus(the severe sudden onset pneumonia and cough), perhaps this has a great effect on that rather than eliminating the virus itself?

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
We may be looking at an event that will be taught in history classes 100 years from now. This could be the end globalism at least for the time being. China has committed crimes against humanity with their total lack of sanitation standards and carelessness, and their typical communist coverups, I know the US played their share as well in downplaying rather than taking action, but this began in China and they imprisoned those trying to get the truth out, this is far from the first time that chinas actions have resulted in global pandemics, the Xi regime needs to stand and face trial for this and be brought to justice, and removed from power before they do any further damage. They’ve brought the world to a stop. This is like nothing we’ve ever seen before

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
We may be looking at an event that will be taught in history classes 100 years from now. This could be the end globalism at least for the time being. China has committed crimes against humanity with their total lack of sanitation standards and carelessness, and their typical communist coverups, I know the US played their share as well in downplaying rather than taking action, but this began in China and they imprisoned those trying to get the truth out, this is far from the first time that chinas actions have resulted in global pandemics, the Xi regime needs to stand and face trial for this and be brought to justice, and removed from power before they do any further damage. They’ve brought the world to a stop. This is like nothing we’ve ever seen before

Yeah people need to be "woke" about China. Lord knows how the US could have got us so dependent on a diabolical regime like China. I guess greed. China owns most of our debt and we get so many materials from them for our own manufacturing purposes. Thank goodness we got our steel industries up and running again and have become energy independent or we'd be in a world of hurt by now. Made in America or at least from an allie.

Now they keep threatening to hold antibiotics and other forms of medicine from us which is beyond despicable. Companies like Google,Apple and Nike need to quit worrying about only the bottomline and get the fuck out.

Yes it is the Chinavirus imo mainly cuz it originated there but also cuz they're trying to say we're the perpetrators and going around now trying to be the angels of the world. It has to keep being pointed out.

The only Chinese we should be buying is Chinese food. Made by Chinese Americans!!!

Reactions: cdp

rossihunter2

Staff Member
so we'll see what happens but there's a real possibility that if the lockdowns go on for a month or more that i may lose my job until it ends

the shutdowns are the right response to the crisis but its hard not to feel bitter about the possibility that the lockdown could take away my income

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Democrats block Stimulus Package bill that would have gave every US Citizen $1,000 checks with $250 billion in expanded unemployment insurance.

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/488945-coronavirus-stimulus-talks-hit-setback-as-crisis-deepens

People say this bill was to bailout corporations and are happy the dems said no, others are using this to say that this is proof Democrats hate America, and this whole thing has turned political at a time when we need everyone to work together. I don't care if Dems said no or republicans said no, this needed to pass YESTERDAY, TODAY, TOMORROW, ASAP. So we must suffer while the two parties just bicker at each other.

After doing some more research, seems everything was fine until Nancy and Chuck stepped in and ruined everything. Vote them out in November.

Last edited:

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
Democrats block Stimulus Package bill that would have gave every US Citizen $1,000 checks with $250 billion in expanded unemployment insurance.

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/488945-coronavirus-stimulus-talks-hit-setback-as-crisis-deepens

People say this bill was to bailout corporations and are happy the dems said no, others are using this to say that this is proof Democrats hate America, and this whole thing has turned political at a time when we need everyone to work together. I don't care if Dems said no or republicans said no, this needed to pass YESTERDAY, TODAY, TOMORROW, ASAP. So we must suffer while the two parties just bicker at each other.

After doing some more research, seems everything was fine until Nancy and Chuck stepped in and ruined everything. Vote them out in November.

This is one of those times that remind me why I have no faith in politics. If we speak on it subjectively, on one hand Americans need the help that the bill was offering. On the other hand, big corporations will get a bailout when that money should be going to the American people.

As a young american that works for the largest company in it's field, it's upsetting how corporations fight and win to get things passed. Meanwhile, I am forced to keep working because I am seen as essential, I have to convince my team and play therapist to calm them down and assure them we will be fine as all our CEO's are nowhere to be found. Not mention of a closing and no mention the constant risk they put us by having us interact with customers at a capacity much more intimate than exchanging money.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
This is just getting stupid now, Democrats are fighting to add things to the bill that has nothing to do with this virus and making sure americans can get by until this is over. They are more concerned with their agenda than the american people, come November people will remember this and a lot of democrats will be gone.

"Tax credits for solar energy and wind energy. Provisions to force employers to give special new treatment to Big Labor. And listen to this — new emissions standards for the airlines. Are you kidding me?" McConnell said.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/congress-deadlocked-over-massive-corona-145958519.html

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
This is one of those times that remind me why I have no faith in politics. If we speak on it subjectively, on one hand Americans need the help that the bill was offering. On the other hand, big corporations will get a bailout when that money should be going to the American people.

As a young american that works for the largest company in it's field, it's upsetting how corporations fight and win to get things passed. Meanwhile, I am forced to keep working because I am seen as essential, I have to convince my team and play therapist to calm them down and assure them we will be fine as all our CEO's are nowhere to be found. Not mention of a closing and no mention the constant risk they put us by having us interact with customers at a capacity much more intimate than exchanging money.

Thing is Dems had no problems bailing out big companies to "support the worker" before when these companies caused their own problems with reckless lending topped off by a greedy nature. This situation now is caused a lot by govt shutdown and quarantines. Right now in the bill there is no stock buyback and executives cant get raises until the loan is paid off. This bailout also helps workers get consistent pay while also getting 2 diffrent monthly checks from the govt (which I'm not big on btw) and keeps these companies upright so when people do go back to work they have a job. Right now I'm hearing the Dems want Green New Deal stuff in this stimulous like tax credits for solar and lower emissions from airplanes just to name a couple. 1.4 tril is already too much and they're wanting to jack it over 2 tril.

Soooo...... you're in a job thats very intimate with customers? :not me: J/K

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
This is just getting stupid now, Democrats are fighting to add things to the bill that has nothing to do with this virus and making sure americans can get by until this is over. They are more concerned with their agenda than the american people, come November people will remember this and a lot of democrats will be gone.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/congress-deadlocked-over-massive-corona-145958519.html

Lol. Just wrote a little bit about that. I swear timing is crazy sometimes.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
US: Here's $1200 a month for 4 months during this crisis.

Canada: Here's $2000 a month for 4 months during crisis. Oh and we have Universal Healthcare.

Why do other countries do things better than we do?

Status
Not open for further replies.