• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Good, The Bad and The O-Line Thread - Wild Card Round vs Chargers

cobrajet

Hall of Famer
It is a bit of a gut-punch but I’m still immensely proud of the way this team transformed post-bye and I’m mostly incredibly excited about the future

Probably not gonna be able to go near nfl media for a little while though
I turned on the local news this morning instead of ESPN.

cobrajet

Hall of Famer
I just want to say FUCK those fair weather “fans” today that were booing Lamar and I applaud Jimmy for sticking up for his QB. Why would you do that to a rookie who got you to this point in the playoffs when we were left for dead with Flacco before his injury? Seriously, if you were one of those “fans”, fuck you.
I have no problem with Lamar. I really like this young man. Glad he is a Raven!

cobrajet

Hall of Famer
Still a little bummed this morning about the play calling and the loss but I have to keep in mind that I am not the coach and I don't know everything they know. This team gave me a lot of joy, especially over the holidays while I was in Pittsburgh. That was pretty freaking cool. I want to thank the team for that. Hopefully we make some good trades, pick up some good free agents, and have another great draft. I hope we really booster the offense line and find a stud Center and a stud cover safety. Glad we finally had a season where we stayed pretty healthy for a change. I was worried that was never going to happen with this team. go Ravens!

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
  • Lamar was awful for 3 and a half quarters, but I'll give him credit for pulling it together at the end and, by some miracle, giving us a slight chance to come back and win a game that we had no business winning. This off-season will be very important for him, but I'm excited for the future.
  • We need to make fixing the O-line our priority during the off-season (if it wasn't already before). A lot of Lamar's struggles yesterday can be traced back to our O-line getting absolutely destroyed on a consistent basis. We had no answer for Ingram all day (Hurst was a fucking turnstile) and our run game couldn't get going with our line getting bullied. I hope this finally proves to the coaches that we need to upgrade at C and G because this was arguably the worst performance by the line all season in the biggest game.
  • The home crowd was awful and should be ashamed. Yeah, let's boo the QB that took this team to the playoffs after we were dead in the water before the Bye week. I feel like this fan-base, as a whole, has not been very good in several years.
  • Defense played fairly well, but their pass rush definitely didn't get to Rivers as much in this game. After the O-line, this should be priority #2 in the off-season to find more pass rushers.
  • Marty needs to go. Shit gameplan, shit playcalls, and no adjustments until it was too late. What the fuck happened to our TE motions that were causing teams a ton of problems? Why did Hurst disappear as a receiving option once again when he's been having success in recent weeks? Why didn't we run some screens when our line was getting demolished? Fuck you Marty.

I just want to say FUCK those fair weather “fans” today that were booing Lamar and I applaud Jimmy for sticking up for his QB. Why would you do that to a rookie who got you to this point in the playoffs when we were left for dead with Flacco before his injury? Seriously, if you were one of those “fans”, fuck you.
Booing your team is rarely a good thing. However, I don't understand the notion that the boos that came were completely directed at Lamar.

After we called for a QB design run on a 3rd and too fucking long in the red zone after running into a brick wall on 1st and 2nd down (and all game long) - that's the first I really heard any booing. That was THE moment to take momentum and you had to go for the throat right there. You would have heard that from any home crowd and when you do - what do you attribute that to? Its the play calling. Those boos at that moment IMO were for Marty - not Jackson. I know very loud WTF came out of my mouth at the TV and that was who it was directed to.

And even if some fans were thinking it might be time to bring in Flacco - why does that have to be a sign of fair weather fandom? Announcers, analysts - for Christ sake even our HC said he considered it. It is not a disrespect of Lamar it is just an acknowledgement that they've taken your game away and its a do or die situation and isn't the time for on the job training. If there is any disrespect here it is from your OC who didn't trust you to throw in a situation like that red zone possession.

I really hate that the story has become everyone was booing Jackson. That's bullshit and someone needs to let him know, it isn't personal and the vast majority of these fans are still looking to you as the future of the franchise and any booing was a sign of frustration with the team and not a personal affront to you. But since people like you and everyone in the sports media who loves drama are going to make it about us hating on him that will be the narrative.

Last edited:

cobrajet

Hall of Famer
Booing your team is rarely a good thing. However, I don't understand the notion that the boos that came were completely directed at Lamar.

After we called for a QB design run on a 3rd and too fucking long in the red zone after running into a brick wall on 1st and 2nd down (and all game long) - that's the first I really heard any booing. That was THE moment to take momentum and you had to go for the throat right there. You would have heard that from any home crowd and when you do - what do you attribute that to? Its the play calling. Those boos at that moment IMO were for Marty - not Jackson. I know very loud WTF came out of my mouth at the TV and that was who it was directed to.

And even if some fans were thinking it might be time to bring in Flacco - why does that have to be a sign of fair weather fandom? Announcers, analysts - for Christ sake even our HC said he considered it. It is not a disrespect of Lamar it is just an acknowledgement that they've taken your game away and its a do or die situation and isn't the time for on the job training. If there is any disrespect here it is from your OC who didn't trust you to throw in a situation like that red zone possession.

I really hate that the story has become everyone was booing Jackson. That's bullshit and someone needs to let him know, it isn't personal and the vast majority of these fans are still looking to you as the future of the franchise and any booing was a sign of frustration with the team and not a personal affront to you. But since people like you and everyone in the sports media who loves drama are going to make it about us hating on him that will be the narrative.
Thank you brother for posting this. I was upset yesterday but not at Lamar. Even the turnovers. The one interception was just a hair too high but I believe the receiver still got his hands on it. The one strip sack was because the offense line was getting manhandled. I am a little upset at everyone trying to say most of the boos were directed at Lamar. My frustrations were completely aimed at Marty. I don't like the "if you don't support your team no matter what, you are not a true fan" bullshit. It is completely natural to get upset when your offensive coordinator keeps doing the same thing for three quarters that has not worked. Why assume the boos were directed at Lamar?

cobrajet

Hall of Famer
Shannon Sharpe can stick it also for his assumptions and his backhanded dig at Flacco which there was no call for. What gives him the right to call out fans when he busts the balls of players on TV on a daily basis! What a hypocrite!

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

The ones that Jimmy went to were asking for Flacco and there were many asking for Flacco.

The ones that Jimmy went to were asking for Flacco and there were many asking for Flacco.
Again - fans were not alone in this ... announcers and analysts were saying the same and again - the HC said he considered it.

Even our own writers are buying into this fallacy ... "those who booed him didn’t grasp that there wouldn’t have been a playoff game in Baltimore Sunday if not for Jackson." -- John Eisenberg. Just please stop it.

I think we know who got us to this playoff game and (most of us) supported Lamar the whole way through the end of the season. To advocate for a change in approach when nothing is working isn't a failure to acknowledge what he did for us this season or what we hope him to do for us in the future.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
snap count: Maxx Wiliams 17 and Boyle 18. They were both integral parts of our successful offense and we only used them on 28 and 30% ,respectively. I don't get it we used a lot of motion pre snap in other games, but yesterday we barely used it. I would've used Maxx or Boyle as FB and crushed the Chargers S a few times. It was obvious we couldn't use the usual LG or LT pull because their LB aka S were too fast.

yeah it's weird that we didnt counteract the 7 dbs with more 3 TE sets... yes part of it is that we got behind early but we were still only 2 scores behind at half time yet didnt try to bully the chargers front

rossihunter2

Staff Member
well this is a damning indictment of our coaching staff:

DwUcCGgXgAEvwXG.jpg:large

"In the last 6 weeks, on 253 total run plays, BAL has pulled their LG 73 times. The RG has pulled 0 times. They have not run Power or Counter to the offense's left a single time."

All in all with the lack of adjustment and wrinkles I'm surprised it took this long for a defence to figure out the tendencies...

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer

"In the last 6 weeks, on 253 total run plays, BAL has pulled their LG 73 times. The RG has pulled 0 times. They have not run Power or Counter to the offense's left a single time."

All in all with the lack of adjustment and wrinkles I'm surprised it took this long for a defence to figure out the tendencies...

damn it marty.gif

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor

this doesn't even surprise me anymore. still marty should've been fired two years ago.

cobrajet

Hall of Famer
Yeah but we were down a couple scores late in the game. Joe has a cannon for an arm. I was thinking maybe like a lot of the fans, maybe we could spread out some receivers put Joe in the shotgun,maybe roll him out to gain a second or two and maybe try to hit Smokey down field for a quick score like he did Jacoby a few seasons ago. Joe throws a tighter spiral down field then Lamar, no offense to Lamar. Therefore calling for Joe in the situation we found ourselves in is not really a knock on Lamar. We have not seen too many deep strikes by Lamar this season, but we know Joe is certainly capable. I was not upset that they did not put Joe in because I kept hoping that Lamar would just break through and juke everyone out and score some TDs like he did in the Browns game, which is something Joe can't really do. I am not going to knock the fans, heck I think all the commentators mentioned they thought Joe should come in. We all know Lamar got us to the playoffs and made us AFC North Champions, so I hope Lamar does not take it personal just like Joe should not.take it personal that when he got healthy most fans wanted to stick with Lamar since we were playing well with him. There is going to be days sometimes when for whatever reason you just may have a bad day. You hope that don't happen in the playoffs but that was a pretty good team we played yesterday and you have to give a little credit to how they played and were coached. Heck Tucker had a bad day, it happens.

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer

Where did you find this? I want to share it with some people.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer

I don't even have any words. I'm disgusted and we are going to do nothing about it. Marty should've been fired two years ago.