• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Offseason Thread

BaltRavens

Practice Squad
his body seems pretty much done. this ain't the mcphee of even a couple of seasons ago ( which btw is better than za;darius ever was)

Shane Rays wrist

McPhee's knees.

what has the best chance?

Ray is a newbie to the team as far as I know. At least we have some background on McPhee. Do you know if he passed a physical?

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
Ray is a newbie to the team as far as I know. At least we have some background on McPhee. Do you know if he passed a physical?
I don't think they sign any contract unless they pass the physical. At least that to me would seem pretty common sense right? However, I don't have any first hand knowledge. If they do sign a contract it has to be a contract contingent upon passing the physical I would submit.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Bisciotti has announcements to make at haloti ngatas official retirement presser today... I think I recall them saying he had 3 surprise announcements...

I’m gonna take a wild stab and say it’s judon, Brandon Williams, or jimmy related...

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Bisciotti has announcements to make at haloti ngatas official retirement presser today... I think I recall them saying he had 3 surprise announcements...

I’m gonna take a wild stab and say it’s judon, Brandon Williams, or jimmy related...

zrebiec said it's 2 announcements
i imagine one of them is Haloti going into the ring of honour

i doubt its current player related - bisciotti doesnt really do player contracts or stuff like that... if it was judon, williams or jimmy id imagine it would be EDC or Harbs at the presser

i wonder if ozzie is going into the ring of honour too...?

mc_red23

Pro Bowler

i doubt its current player related - bisciotti doesnt really do player contracts or stuff like that... if it was judon, williams or jimmy id imagine it would be EDC or Harbs at the presser

Yeah, surely it's something to do with Ozzie?

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

Ok, just going off of memory when I heard it on 105.7 lol

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Option 1: Haloti Ngata goes into Ring Of Honor & Ozzie Newsome also going into the Ring Of Honor.
Option 2: We cloned Ozzie and will station the real Ozzie and his clone at Oklahoma & Alabama.
Option 3: We have a new partnership with Royal Farms and Ngata will be their official spokesperson.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I really would like to see Roman shock the world and call way more passes than anyone expects. Like obviously the run game is the focal point, but rather than trying to run and run and run and aim to move the sticks with a pass on third and long, give lamar the reins on a lot of first downs, the run is ALWAYS a threat and we don’t need to run it 40 times a week to make teams cheat up and cheat hard, if we have lamar, a back, and 2 TEs then teams are respecting the run. Make them pay, 7 step PA drops with marquise brown and Boykin from the slot and Andrews way tf downfield, encourage lamar to use his legs on these drops, don’t worry about the outsiders calling him a non-QB, let that boy use his natural talents, deep drops, buy space, buy time, speed kills, use Lamar’s legs and our speed to its max effectiveness, fuck the screen and drag talk with marquise brown, hit em deep after lamar scrambles and makes the whole DL look foolish

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
I really would like to see Roman shock the world and call way more passes than anyone expects. Like obviously the run game is the focal point, but rather than trying to run and run and run and aim to move the sticks with a pass on third and long, give lamar the reins on a lot of first downs, the run is ALWAYS a threat and we don’t need to run it 40 times a week to make teams cheat up and cheat hard, if we have lamar, a back, and 2 TEs then teams are respecting the run. Make them pay, 7 step PA drops with marquise brown and Boykin from the slot and Andrews way tf downfield, encourage lamar to use his legs on these drops, don’t worry about the outsiders calling him a non-QB, let that boy use his natural talents, deep drops, buy space, buy time, speed kills, use Lamar’s legs and our speed to its max effectiveness, fuck the screen and drag talk with marquise brown, hit em deep after lamar scrambles and makes the whole DL look foolish
We actually have the ability to have an efficient high volume passing game out of a two TE, two WR set. Hurst and Andrews can catch and block. Hill will have plenty of room to work as a WR from the backfield if he has decent hands. He could also shift out as a slot WR. He doesn't need to do anything fancy. Even just go routes would create the occasional big play for him or help underneath guys. Hollywood of course can create instant separation against man and zone. Snead and Boykin both have the ability to find soft spots to give Jackson easy targets.

It really just comes down to Jackson making quick reads and progressing as a passer.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
It really just comes down to Jackson making quick reads and progressing as a passer.

Jackpot. Too many times last year, Jackson's first read is a late breaking route and as a rookie, he waits on it to the exclusion of stuff thats open underneath immediately. One thing I'd like to see him improve (and I did notice him doing this some last year), is the ability to read coverage post snap immediately. The more he focuses on this; seeing coverage move, while understanding all routes, the sooner and more frequently he will throw his first read out the window(assuming it to be a deeper read), because he understands where something has or will open based on that post snap read.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
I am actually giving a lot of thought to four receivers to a side with a RB. This formation and its variations would be a handful. It most likely clears or brings up a weak side safety. It provides all kinds of space opportunity by way of last minute motion; motion TE as Hback/wing/just off line to either side would really cause a defense to hesitate. Lots of possibilities out of this one look as it regards personnel, shifts and motions. Puts the run squarely on the table as well.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
I, fuck the screen and drag talk with marquise brown, hit em deep after lamar scrambles and makes the whole DL look foolish

No. it needs to be part of the package. He draws coverage away from other routes with these. Not to mention how exceptional he is in open field. It would be like not including Antonio Brown in the quick stuff. Marquise is a complete weapon. The deep stuff will happen but not at the exclusion of stuff underneath

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
No. it needs to be part of the package. He draws coverage away from other routes with these. Not to mention how exceptional he is in open field. It would be like not including Antonio Brown in the quick stuff. Marquise is a complete weapon. The deep stuff will happen but not at the exclusion of stuff underneath
Oh I never said eliminate it from the playbook lol I’m just saying that because of Lamar’s struggles as a passer that seems to be what most people think Hollywood’s main usage would be and I just don’t agree with that thinking

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
Oh I never said eliminate it from the playbook lol I’m just saying that because of Lamar’s struggles as a passer that seems to be what most people think Hollywood’s main usage would be and I just don’t agree with that thinking
I hear you and you're right. he definitely needs to be targeted all over.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
Here is a cool Marquise look. he's in the backfield winged left and he runs a flat route out of the backfield. Both the slot guy and the safety bite on the fake. It opens up the TE for a TD.
hollywood.gif

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Jackpot. Too many times last year, Jackson's first read is a late breaking route and as a rookie, he waits on it to the exclusion of stuff thats open underneath immediately. One thing I'd like to see him improve (and I did notice him doing this some last year), is the ability to read coverage post snap immediately. The more he focuses on this; seeing coverage move, while understanding all routes, the sooner and more frequently he will throw his first read out the window(assuming it to be a deeper read), because he understands where something has or will open based on that post snap read.

Often we talk about high-low coverage reads but I think it’s really telling that Peyton manning’s favourite route combo would read the check down first because it would always get him ahead of the chains and the defence would eventually pull towards that read and he’d know instantly post-snap that one of the downfield reads was a win but that takes incredible understanding of coverages and tendencies and it takes an innate knowledge of your route concepts and how to manipulate defences based on the look and personnel you show them

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
I just pray that Hollywood is healthy. I hope that all of our young pieces are healthy and playing a lot of snaps to gain the experience they need.

Tim Williams, Hollywood, Hurst, Dixon, Tavon Young, and most importantly, Earl Thomas.