• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Offseason Thread

Sandtown

Pro Bowler
I don't believe he's ever been used that way or has he? Was there a disconnect between Ozzie and Harbaugh? I'm lost because too many 2nd round picks are going bust! And oh by the way, that is one of the reason I feel strongly about his year is that we didn't have a 2nd round pick to fuck up! laugh out loud!

Yeah he has especially in his rookie season but Matt Judon has played at the sam linebacker postion so well that it limited his opportunity to see the field. Honestly im not really seeing any other ideally fits for The Ravens sam linebacker position other than Tyus Bowser. I know Pernell Mcphee can do it but I dont think it wise to rely on him as much due to health reasons. Shane Ray and Tim Williams both seem like guys you want to use on obvious passing downs similar to how The Ravens used Elvis Dumervil.

Ravens third rounder Jaylon Ferguson maybe able to handle the sam linebacker role but we shall see.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
totally going off topic here but i think our pass rush ( with our without mccoy) will be better this year

I have a real good feeling about Ray, T.Will and McPhee ( if he's healthy)

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
totally going off topic here but i think our pass rush ( with our without mccoy) will be better this year

Having ET back there is also going to force QBs to hold onto the longer as they question whether a throw is a good idea or not with ET in the vicinity.

But yeah, losing Suggs and ZDS is overblown. Suggs was still solid last year and we'll miss his leadership, but he's been on a downward trend. McPhee is a clear upgrade for ZDS as long as he can stay healthy. Ray should be a solid contributor, at the very least, and could potentially break out (this is still a former 1st round pick that we're talking about). Timmy should hopefully be able to stay on the field this year and, if he does, he should finally be able to rack up some stats.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
Having ET back there is also going to force QBs to hold onto the longer as they question whether a throw is a good idea or not with ET in the vicinity.

But yeah, losing Suggs and ZDS is overblown. Suggs was still solid last year and we'll miss his leadership, but he's been on a downward trend. McPhee is a clear upgrade for ZDS as long as he can stay healthy. Ray should be a solid contributor, at the very least, and could potentially break out (this is still a former 1st round pick that we're talking about). Timmy should hopefully be able to stay on the field this year and, if he does, he should finally be able to rack up some stats.

Suggs had 1 sack in his last 10 games.
Za'darius got half of his sakcs in 1 game and has basically bluffed his way into a contract thanks to wink.

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
Suggs had 1 sack in his last 10 games.
Za'darius got half of his sakcs in 1 game and has basically bluffed his way into a contract thanks to wink.

Suggs was still good against the run though. His leadership will be missed much more than his play, but I think ET and Jefferson will be able to take the reigns for leading our D.

Reactions: cdp

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
I'll maintain that we need

ILB
LG or C

We need to upgrade 2/3 here for me to feel really confident about the overall team. I'd love to think Ben Powers is the answer but he's going to have to prove it before i believe it.

I also am not a fan of kenny young whatsoever.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer

ILB
LG or C

We need to upgrade 2/3 here for me to feel really confident about the overall team. I'd love to think Ben Powers is the answer but he's going to have to prove it before i believe it.

Kenny got some nice traits but im not convinced on him and pat yet

Reactions: cdp

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor

ILB
LG or C

I just don't want to see Hurst anymore. 0.0 passing grade by pff for the chargers game and after 5 seasons he's still one of the worst T/G in the league.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
hurst is one of those guys that always makes me question or FO when it comes to standards.. 5 years of this and they see something no one else seems to

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
Give Kenny some time. I think he will be better this year in those deficiencies.

i dont trust guys who can't make reads until its too late ( bowser etc). I like players who diagnose. Guys who suck at diagnosing seldom become stars.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
i dont trust guys who can't make reads until its too late ( bowser etc). I like players who diagnose. Guys who suck at diagnosing seldom become stars.
thats not really kenny young though... he has moments where he is slow to read, but also has moments where he anticipates the play pre snap. he either becomes a film junkie and those pre snap reads become what his game is centered around, or he doesnt and he continues to be inconsistent in that regard and hesitates when he cant diagnose pre snap. and either one is equally possible and i see no reason to lean either way.

also, bowser makes strong reads in coverage and has a great feel for the play developing around him, his entire problem is that hes not a traditional edge defender and hes being used as one.

Sandtown

Pro Bowler
I just don't want to see Hurst anymore. 0.0 passing grade by pff for the chargers game and after 5 seasons he's still one of the worst T/G in the league.

You have to take in consideration that the guy was probably still recovering from a back injury. Other than that I thought James Hurst did a solid job as The Ravens starting right tackle. Hurst hasnt been the greatest or even the best at times but he probably been more serviceable than some of these offensive linemen that was drafted for the past four years.

There are still teams in The NFL to this day that need offensive line help bad and the draft has not helped.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
Me personally, I'm looking forward to see if Michael Pierce continues to play amazing because lord knows we need all the interior pass-rush we can get.

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
Me personally, I'm looking forward to see if Michael Pierce continues to play amazing because lord knows we need all the interior pass-rush we can get.

It's a contract year for him so I would guess that his great play continues. Also, if Henry can stay healthy this season then he'll be a big boost to our interior pass-rush.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

I think it will be a sign of really good things if all 6 of the OLBs make the roster - I’d assumed that Shane ray would be the odd man out but he’s by all accounts been running with the 1s and having watched more of his 2018 film I think there’s a role for him if he’s beyond his health issues

I don’t know that our pass rush will be better but it’ll be quicker around the edge for sure if Timmy and Shane ray make the 53 (and tyus to an extent)

rossihunter2

Staff Member

ILB
LG or C

If not powers then i think Bozeman is in serious contention to win a starting spot at either C or LG