• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Offseason Thread

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Fuck you and your hindsight. I've said these things before the draft and I don't need your validation. I've got better things to do than be petty with you. Go search the last two drafts on your own accord on this forum.

Oh and make sure to take into account my post film study humphrey and post film study bowser.

Goodnight.
I believe you tbh..some people just got an eye for shit. Someshit thats just obvious to you may not be obvious to others.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
I generally don’t care, nor do I claim myself to be an expert. I’m not qualified to work for an NFL team at all. I know that. I’ve got my hits, but I’ve got my misses too. I do these articles and breakdowns for fun. Whether people listen to me is up to them.

Let it be know, outside of @Truth no one here is qualified to work for this team, it’s fun to speculate and it’s fun to guess. That statement will not offend most of this forum, except the one.

But when you claim you’re better than an NFL FO and get really defensive about it while providing no tangible proof to support your credibility other than blanket statements, yeah.... No one’s gonna take you seriously.

the posts are there. Some are on here a lot were on br.com. I don't need convincing. I know what i said and a lot of it is backed up on here from 2017 onwards.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
the posts are there. Some are on here a lot were on br.com. I don't need convincing. I know what i said and a lot of it is backed up on here from 2017 onwards.
you've insulted me, said I have mental issues, and have gone on a childish temper tantrum all because I've asked you to break down some film like so many of us here do.

You still haven't given me any proof besides just blanket statements.

You really think you're that smart, send your resume to the team. Don't gloat about your intelligence to the rest of us. We get it. You think you're an intellectual ubermensch. Whatever floats your boat.

You can continue to insult me, trash me, whatever. Do whatever. I just asked for your proof. If you want to get defensive and act childish about your ego, that's your prerogative.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
As for left guard spot, Harbaugh said that may not be decided until a couple of weeks into preseason. Said if he had to give a favorite, it would be James Hurst. But Jermaine Eluemunor got most of first-team reps this week.
No....

the fact that harbs has said this though makes it pretty clear that he doesnt want hurst to win that job if possible or else the competition wouldnt be lasting into the preseason - i think the job's there for Powers or Bozeman or Eluemunor to take they've just got to beat out Hurst who's got all the advantages going in

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
the fact that harbs has said this though makes it pretty clear that he doesnt want hurst to win that job if possible or else the competition wouldnt be lasting into the preseason - i think the job's there for Powers or Bozeman or Eluemunor to take they've just got to beat out Hurst who's got all the advantages going in
Including the most advantageous thing: being coach’s favorite player

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
i wouldnt know where to start ive had so many more hits than the FO. I'll just start with what i can remember at the top of my head

Gronkowski
Desmond King
Michael Gallup
Carl Lawson
Chris Jones
Will Hernandez
Dallas Goedart

and that's just the recent ones

Ones I hated

Matt Elam
Alex Lewis
Correa
Kaufusi
Blessed one
Sergio Kindle
Terrence Cody
Courtney Upshaw
Carl Davis

Picks I loved that worked out
Mark Andrews
Matt Judon
Pernell McPhee

My mistakes ( thought they'd be good)
Arthur Brown
Maxx Williams

PIcks I liked in recent years
Humphrey ( after watching more film)
Marquise Brown
Ronnie Stanley
De'Shon Elliot
Orlando Brown jr

I'm sure theres a lot of things ive left out but this is what i can remember for now.
Anyone can say this after the fact. If you want to put your money where your mouth is, then play the FM.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
People are generally saying that Lamar is improving with each practice and he's going to keep working with guys during the break. I literally love his enthusiasm and work ethic, but why can't I shake my gut feeling he never gets it together as a passer?

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
People are generally saying that Lamar is improving with each practice and he's going to keep working with guys during the break. I literally love his enthusiasm and work ethic, but why can't I shake my gut feeling he never gets it together as a passer?
Because your gut is stuck in neutral my friend. Loosen it up with some booze.

The bottom line is everything I've heard about Lamar is he is constantly improving day by day. Ever since college that was the general consensus view of people that have coached him and followed him. That has continued with the Ravens. Remember there are two elements integral to growth as a passer. One is fundamental drills, rinsing and repeating the same motion over and over again till it becomes muscle memory and second nature and that takes repetition and time. He has proven he is exceedingly hard working and committed to being the best he can be. For God's sake, this kid earning a rookie salary has the foresightedness to organize throwing sessions with his receivers as a rookie practically? Flacco had to be goaded into it in his 11th year and he did it for a day! No your gut is dead wrong I'm happy to tell you. Rest easy because Lamar will be one of the great QBs in the league.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer

The bottom line is everything I've heard about Lamar is he is constantly improving day by day. Ever since college that was the general consensus view of people that have coached him and followed him. That has continued with the Ravens. Remember there are two elements integral to growth as a passer. One is fundamental drills, rinsing and repeating the same motion over and over again till it becomes muscle memory and second nature and that takes repetition and time. He has proven he is exceedingly hard working and committed to being the best he can be. For God's sake, this kid earning a rookie salary has the foresightedness to organize throwing sessions with his receivers as a rookie practically? Flacco had to be goaded into it in his 11th year and he did it for a day! No your gut is dead wrong I'm happy to tell you. Rest easy because Lamar will be one of the great QBs in the league.

I'll be ecstatic! Too be honest, he's too hard of a worker to not become at least average in my opinion. It's just can he be great. I don't think so unless he fixes his grip.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor

I'm really glad the FO made the decision to move on from Flacco and I'm so excited to watch this team play behind Lamar Jackson.

BaltRavens

Practice Squad
I am a fan who is not truly worried about Lamar Jackson in his second season because a running attack will be designed to complement the passing game. Roman as the OC is ready to go.

Sandtown

Pro Bowler
Lamar Jackson says he “might” work with QB guru Tom House over next 5 weeks.
And he will also work with his wr and rb corps.
Good thing, he will attend and hold a passing camp.

Yeah I strongly doubt he works with Tom House.I think he loves working with Josh Harris and it's probably not wise to work with two coaches during the off season and work with Ravens quarterback coach James Urban as well.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Yeah I strongly doubt he works with Tom House.I think he loves working with Josh Harris and it's probably not wise to work with two coaches during the off season and work with Ravens quarterback coach James Urban as well.

it wasnt like he was being pushed into it - he just said he was thinking about maybe doing it but didnt want the media to go crazy over it with quotes etc so he was adamant about it being a "maybe" - i think its something he's keen on but it would have to fit into the schedule hes got for himself and that may not work for house

purp

Practice Squad
I'm really glad the FO made the decision to move on from Flacco and I'm so excited to watch this team play behind Lamar Jackson.

More of this.

I am a fan who is not truly worried about Lamar Jackson in his second season because a running attack will be designed to complement the passing game. Roman as the OC is ready to go.

And this.

Honestly I have no idea how things are going to shake out with Jackson and that’s what I like about having him at QB. Would you rather be hoping for order of magnitude improvement from guys like Darnold, Allen, or Rosen?

Or have the type of season that puts you in position for a Goff, Wentz, or Mayfield?

I like the fact that the Ravens play good defense. And I like the fact that we’re always in contention. The price of that is we’re never really in position to go out and get a sure thing at QB in the draft. We’re always going to have guys with flaws. Given that, the fact that we got a guy as exciting and enigmatic as Jackson is pretty cool. Maybe he won’t pan out, but if he does it’ll be amazing.

As a fan, I’m satisfied with that.

BaltRavens

Practice Squad
More of this.

And this.

Honestly I have no idea how things are going to shake out with Jackson and that’s what I like about having him at QB. Would you rather be hoping for order of magnitude improvement from guys like Darnold, Allen, or Rosen?

Or have the type of season that puts you in position for a Goff, Wentz, or Mayfield?

I like the fact that the Ravens play good defense. And I like the fact that we’re always in contention. The price of that is we’re never really in position to go out and get a sure thing at QB in the draft. We’re always going to have guys with flaws. Given that, the fact that we got a guy as exciting and enigmatic as Jackson is pretty cool. Maybe he won’t pan out, but if he does it’ll be amazing.

As a fan, I’m satisfied with that.

Sounds good! I'M WITH YA!

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Some interesting offseason/minicamp tidbits about positional/starting battles (and some comments):

WR:
  • Jordan Lasley despite training with lamar has been unimpressive for all bar one day - lots of drops and not really separated from the pack at all
  • Jaleel Scott has come on leaps and bounds from where he was last year as a complete non-factor even in the offseason
  • Antoine Wesley and Sean Modster have been the most impressive young receivers (brown and boyking havent been involved so much)
  • Michael Floyd has not separated particularly well and has had some drops
  • Given the Brown and Boykin injuries I cant see how we dont carry at least 6 wrs - if i had to guess right now i'd say it's probably these 6 - Brown, Snead, Boykin, Moore, Wesley, Scott
LG:
  • Hurst is still the favourite to start
  • Bozeman needs to get stronger/spend less time on the ground
  • Eluemunor has taken significant snaps with the first team
  • Lewis is still out and I seriously wonder whether he'll make the 53 (either by being cut or by being on PUP/ I/R)
  • N.B. it's hard to really glean anything from this competition outside of who's getting snaps with the 1st team because there's basically no contact until training camp - as Harbs rightly said we probably won't find out who's the winner (or at least they wont) until after the first couple of preseason games
C:
  • While the fanbases hopes for a competition at LG have come to fruition there seems to be no competition at C and Skura is basically entrenched unless Bozeman has a beast of a camp (and even then he'd probably end up winning the LG spot in stead)
QB:
  • Trace Mcsorley has, as expected, been playing a lot on special teams - that's his route onto the roster
ILB:
  • CJ Board has come on incredibly strong - he's fast and aggressive and most importantly has spent a lot of time running with the first team at WLB
  • Kenny Young has not been bad at all but he may have still been surpassed by Board that's just how well Board has been playing per Zrebiec...
  • This is interesting because I never even figured there would be a competition here but given how we used the WLB spot basically in a rotation last year anyway it only helps us if Board has come on as strong as it seems - if he's replacing Peanut in the WLB rotation while Peanut moves to MLB that's not a bad net result - what will be interesting is if Young or Board completely put their stamp on that WLB spot - this is one of the least talked about but apparently open competitions for a starting spot on the team
OLB:
  • Hard to tell who's really impressed the most this camp given there's little to no-contact
  • Tim Williams if he sorts himself out I'd say may well be the dark horse to start opposite Judon - i just saw the PFF run defence grades for him last year and they're pretty great for someone who was never known for that - as always with Tim this all relies on him sorting out his body and his life when he's not in the building - im rooting for him and it's definitely promising that he's had lots of time with the first team and has made some plays off the edge even without proper contact
  • Shane Ray is the wild card i thought wouldnt make the roster but he's the only speed rusher we have outside of timmy and has also had a lot of time with the 1st team at that open rush linebacker spot on the defence
  • outside of a few plays in OTAs Bowser has not really been heard from (at least from what ive read) and has not made an impact which is a bit worrying given that these pass heavy periods of the offseason are pretty good times to make a name for yourself when your forte is coverage
S:
  • we've all seen the deshon elliott stuff - if it continues through training camp and into the preseason we may see him get on the field in a heavier dime package/big nickel packages (like chuck clark used to come on for)/we might see jefferson play dime sometimes
K:
  • Kaare Vedvik has been missing some kicks - something to watch with regards to potential trades/trade value moving forward

As i count it there seem to be only these battles as true open competitions for starting snaps:

WR, LG, ILB, Rush linebacker

but there are also major snaps to be won at:

RB, WR, Rush linebacker, DL

the 2 most interesting battles are WR and Rush linebacker because they go all the way from starter snaps to 53 man bubble competition but the battle that maybe needs some more attention is the WLB spot

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Skura and Hurst practically guaranteed the starting job.
That’s great.

Lamar Jackson passed after getting massacred by Leonard and Quinen Williams. Funeral processions will be held on January 1, 2020. Lamar Jackson was a good man who made his family proud. One of the first in his family to go to college, and winner of the heisman trophy after one of the most electrifying college football seasons of all time. He had so much promise, fuck you Harbaugh.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Can someone please explain to me how we are supposed to have a successful rushing attack when two absolutely terrible run blockers are starting at LG and C?