• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Offseason Thread

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Alright well, since it’s almost been 24 hours since we’ve been eliminated, I can think more clearly now. I expect us to be extremely aggressive this offseason on both sides of the ball. Please make the necessary cap cuts to sign Clowney and trade for another Boldin-esque type of WR for Lamar to grow with. We can’t fuck with him like we did Flacco and only get veteran bandaids. We need superstars on both sides of the ball like nobody’s business. SURROUND YOUR FRANCHISE QB WITH TALENT AND PROTECT HIM, ERIC.
Fuck clowney, too injured and more of a balanced defender than superstar pass rush machine. I’d rather go after lamarcus joyner for big money, and if we want a pass rusher we hope Frank Clark or Demarcus Lawrence hits the market, if we wanna go a little cheaper trey flowers, and to go real cheap Kyle Emanuel is someone who I think can still be a solid player. I don’t know much about nfl OL, I watch prospects and don’t pay attention after they hit the league so idfk about the OL FA class

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Fuck clowney, too injured and more of a balanced defender than superstar pass rush machine. I’d rather go after lamarcus joyner for big money, and if we want a pass rusher we hope Frank Clark or Demarcus Lawrence hits the market, if we wanna go a little cheaper trey flowers, and to go real cheap Kyle Emanuel is someone who I think can still be a solid player. I don’t know much about nfl OL, I watch prospects and don’t pay attention after they hit the league so idfk about the OL FA class
I doubt Clark or Lawrence hits free agency, but Trey Flowers could very well hit free agency and he’s my target.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Really thinking if we could move jimmy to safety... might work tbh he would excel there and take away one of the safety needs while still providing depth at corner if emergency
Btw welcome to the board, I like Jimmy as a safety as well, but not at his current price.

Btw welcome to the board, I like Jimmy as a safety as well, but not at his current price.
I think if he could take a cap cut and we could spread his salary over 2-3 years that would be astounding.. he is one of the most physical corners in the league so his tackling wouldnt be a problem(definitely better than weddles) and he is definitely fast enough at safety, lets not forget he practically saved the browns game with the 2 picks and that breakup at the end, he would be great piece at corner if we have an injury

Reactions: cdp

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I think if he could take a cap cut and we could spread his salary over 2-3 years that would be astounding.. he is one of the most physical corners in the league so his tackling wouldnt be a problem(definitely better than weddles) and he is definitely fast enough at safety, lets not forget he practically saved the browns game with the 2 picks and that breakup at the end, he would be great piece at corner if we have an injury
It won’t happen this year because we would need to extend him to lower his cap hit ans we have plenty of cap space this offseason. Also a player in most cases doesn’t take a salary reduction when we hear about a team lowering the cap space of a particular player. They are typically paying a portion of the salary upfromt as guaranteed money ans spreading it over the course of the contract.

I agree, he could be a good safety though.

Hope you will consider playing our Forum Mock, sign up will start right after the super bowl

Truth

Staff Member
Administrator
I would say its less motivation and more JJ Watt looks like JJ Watt again and he is the player who carries that defense.
I don't know that I can personally reduce Clowney to just that. He had his best stretch up to that point in the second half of last season during Watt's absence. He can be inconsistent as a pass rusher, but at his best, he's arguably a top-tier level DE who is multifaceted. His floor is concerning though, but it seems as if he's destined to stay in Houston if the reports are accurate.

Ian Rapoport‏Verified account @RapSheet 8m8 minutes ago
Sources: Talks between the #Ravens and coach John Harbaugh are progressing toward a long-term extension. Both sides are encouraged by where things stand, though nothing is done yet. As Harbaugh said Sunday, he’s expected to remain in Baltimore going forward.
Yes - unless someone comes at us with some ridiculous offer, Harbaugh will remain a Raven.

"I have every expectation and every plan to be here as long as the Ravens want me here, and I believe they want me here. I think that’s been made clear by management to me over the last few weeks.”

So the question is whether or not Harbs wants to keep his staff as is. I have always firmly believed that the organization allows that to be his decision and his decision alone. In which case, it probably will be left unchanged.

Okay, why the fuck hasn’t Marty been fired yet? You have analysts on TV talking about how bad he is. Are we waiting for the State of the Ravens press conference? This should have been news at dawn this morning.
Marty will only be fired if Harbaugh wants him gone. Given his history and our 6-2 finish (despite how everything looked getting there - including the playoff loss) Marty will be here in 2019.

My only concern is if we lose others from the staff - such as Roman - in the offseason. To keep Marty and let Roman walk ... that would be a tragedy.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
Marty will only be fired if Harbaugh wants him gone. Given his history and our 6-2 finish (despite how everything looked getting there - including the playoff loss) Marty will be here in 2019.

My only concern is if we lose others from the staff - such as Roman - in the offseason. To keep Marty and let Roman walk ... that would be a tragedy.
Season would be over at that point if this were to happen.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Here's how I think we should go

-Resign Mosley. "He's to slow though". Maybe but when your entire defense falls apart upon your exit, your impact goes simply beyond the on the field play. You pay him a lot of money and you do so eagerly. He's not elite, but it seems every team in the NFL has nothing but a sheer amount of respect for him. I wish he could by Bobby Wagner too, but for this defense, there isn't a player more important.

-Let John Brown Walk.. Nothing against the guy at all. Good player, I really wish he could stay, but I have a feeling some team is going to overpay for the guy.

-Resign Brent Urban. He's nothing special but he's massively outperformed his draft position and is a quality starter who flies under the radar.

-If Suggs wants to come back on a team friendly deal, let him in a limited role.

-Release Eric Weddle. I love him, glad he was here, he's old. Time to move on. Hire him onto the coaching staff, he's going to make a hell of a coach some day.

-Resign Maxx Williams or Nick Boyle. I'd prefer Maxx, but they're basically the same player with Boyle being a superior blocker and Maxx being a superior receiver. Though Harbaugh better play good Hurst and Andrews over them next season.

-Trade or release Jimmy Smith. Hell of a player, CU Buff... Not worth what we're paying him when Marlon Humphrey has become the team's best corner and is far cheaper. I will miss him, but the NFL is a business. Carr will stay. This scheme has really benefitted him.

-Trade Flacco.... Self explanatory.

-Consider June 1st Cutting Brandon Williams. He's one dimmensional and even with Flacco's contract on the salary cap, this is the worst contract Ozzie has given in a long time. You NEVER PAY ONE DIMMENSIONAL PLAERS THIS MUCH. Especially since Pierce has proven to be a superior player and is once again on a discount.

-Getting rid of Flacco and Smith alone frees up $20 million. From there, you pay a safety. You see what is available on the oline market, and you see if there's a pass rusher.

Positions to address in FA rather than draft
-safety
-WR
-DL
-Backup QB(if we don't retain RGIII)

Positions to address in draft rather than FA
-OL
-Pass Rusher
-CB
-RB

It'll be interesting to see what happens. Getting rid of Flacco, weddle, and Jimmy frees up a TON of money.

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
A lot of really tough decisions for Eric DeCosta coming up. The good thing is John is coming back so there is some continuity there. Now the big decisions need to be made on D. Suggs, Jimmy and Weddle - are they coming back? Mosley and Z. Smith - Are they getting deals here? Where do we create the cap space needed to pay Mosley and the others?

On offense, we have plenty of questions as well via free agency/draft. What do we do at Center and LG? Skura and Hurst? Or was Alex Lewis too hurt to be effective this season? What's the deal and what do we do about it? The running backs - Do we sign Gus the bus? Buck Allen is coming back because he's too valuable on ST.... A lot of questions to put together the 2019 squad and no easy answers. I hate to be in Eric's shoes this off season but I'm sure he's up to it because he's been training and waiting for this exact moment.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
His mental make-up, laziness and the fact he's always injured, which are all probably related. He's a quitter in the game, too.
That last attribute did it for me. Last thing we need is an oft-injured RB who quits. Fuck that. I'd rather draft one.