• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Offseason Thread

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
Wait I swear to God you said you’d have respect for Eric if he passed on Mosley and that was back when speculation was 14 maybe 15 mil per. What now that he got 17 you think we should have matched it? I’m confused.

I approve of the subtractions but the lack of additions is what concerns me. I have no issues with who we let go but mark ingram and nick boyle are yhe highlights of our offseason?

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
Im going to keep this short. We are not going to be relevent next year. Thanks eric. Theres a fine line between right player and right price and totally obsessed with cap. This is a win now league. There are no dynasties outide of the patriots. Teams are good for 3-4 year period at best.

The highight of our offseason? Resignjng nick boyle and possibly mark ingram? Frankly he shouldnt have bothered with either. Just tank the season because we are not touching the browns.

Just hord your ever so precious 3 and 4 round compensantoey picks and go orgasmic over your alex lewis and willie henry.

Wait I swear to God you said you’d have respect for Eric if he passed on Mosley and that was back when speculation was 14 maybe 15 mil per. What now that he got 17 you think we should have matched it? I’m confused.
Yeah. What were we supposed to do? Throw a bunch of money at Mosley who can’t cover, extend Suggs who’s washed up, bring back a one dimensional pass rusher in Smith, or bring back Weddle who lost 5 steps? I don’t get it

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
I approve of the subtractions but the lack of additions is what concerns me. I have no issues with who we let go but mark ingram and nick boyle are yhe highlights of our offseason?
There’s a lot of FA left. The worst news is not getting a guy like Thomas but hopefully we can get him. That would be awful if CLE gets him

Simba

Staff Member

I can point to maybe 2 players that even got reasonable deals so far that I’d even consider signing.

Also, FA isn’t over. In fact, it technically hasn’t even started.

Ingram not a done deal. Would the addition of Bell bother you if that were to happen?

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
I’m not gonna be happy if we sign a RB. Fuck it, we need money in the future.

Frankly.... with how shitty the market has turned out to be, we are contending with teams that have “fuck you money”, we are seriously better off in the long run just sitting this shitshow out, letting the cap roll over, and drafting offense. Build Lamar a line and I’ll be happy. We ain’t contending and there’s a legit chance we have a top 10 pick next year.

That’s fine. We have a young QB and are rebuilding..... which we didn’t need to do, but I guess Eric wants to build the team in his own image. Let’s see how it plays out.

Also there’s plenty of FA left. I’m pissed Mosley is gone but for that kind of money, unless he wins 3 consecutive DPOYs they’ll NEVER get their return on that investment. Eric and Suggs I’m not mad about. Mosley is the only real net loss. And that Boyle contract seems bad but when you look at what inferior players got, we were right to sign him when he did.

This all changes if we sign Bell or Ingram. I don’t want either. Let’s not pay a RB a lot of money. There’s better ways to spend it.

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
Decosta did say oline is a position we most likely will draft someone at some point in time.

Id really like to bring in ingram just to finish off our RB room then look to sign Golden Tate. I think theyd both fit well here. They play like ravens on film. Fiery competitors and fit our offensive scheme with Lamar.

Tate is great after the catch and i give him a pass for disappearing in philly. Its hard to adjust to a new offense mid season.

Id like Earl Thomas but hes probably looko g for 10+ per year and hes comming off his 2nd broken leg

Im a little stumped at pass rusher. Part of me just wants to say let the young guys like Bowser and Tim step up but another says we should draft another just in case.

A lot of holes to fill right now so im not mad that were not throwing all our money at 1 player

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
Maybe tthe idea here is to basically build a seriously good cap and draft pick situation next year. We’ll have at least 12 picks next year and probably top 5 cap space.

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor
Weddle-Over the Hill , 3 pass breakups and zero picks the entire season! . Bye bye
Suggs: Can't last a season. If we played 6 games a year, he would still be good. Bye Bye
Zadaruis-17 M a year!!!! LMAO. Overrated and one dimensional. What dumbass paid 17 M. Bye Bye.
Mosley-Good but not great IL .Can't pass cover to save his ass. Overpaid at 16-17 M , whatever. Will will miss his leadership
Crabtree- Hands of Stone! Bye Bye.
Brown-Doesnt fit our offense anymore with Lamar-Bye Bye. Ditto Alex Collins who was released. Bye Bye.

All good moves by DeCosta.

Maybe tthe idea here is to basically build a seriously good cap and draft pick situation next year. We’ll have at least 12 picks next year and probably top 5 cap space.

Be interesting to see how the raiders rebound this year as they are in their first year of a rebuild.

My personal theme this year for the Ravens will be “lowered expectations”.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
Waaaay too early to say The Ravens wont be contenders this year.

On offense the interior OLine is awful and there are no great WRs

On defense there is no FS and ILBs combined make 1 good player.

If they fix half those holes then yes its fine (emphasizing the OLine and not using a 1st round C because those take time), otherwise ya the Ravens are going to be watching the playoffs with a fairly high pick next year.

If they fix half those holes then yes its fine (emphasizing the OLine and not using a 1st round C because those take time), otherwise ya the Ravens are going to be watching the playoffs with a fairly high pick next year.

One more important loss is experience and knowledge. We basically have lost 3 captains on the D side, and will probably enter the season with a sophomore QB and a backup who has not been especially successful. It’s hard to recover from those kinds of losses.

However, I will be optimistic, but my expectations (at this point in time) will definitely be lowered.

Sandtown

Pro Bowler

Still early in the game for me to be concerned about anything. We all know The Ravens need to address their offensive line but im not at all concerned about their chances of doing so especially since they have a great track record when it comes tl finding offensive linemen. They have one of the best offensive line coaches in the league as well.There really isnt any great free agent wide receivers available this year. This free agency class at the wide receiver position is weak so The Ravens would probably have to draft a receiver regardless.

It sucks to see CJ Mosley and Eric Weddle leave but that doesnt mean The Ravens dont have a replacement currently on the roster. When The Ravens released Bernard Pollard i doubt many thought James Ihedigbo who was mainly a special teamer would be able to step up. Ihedigbo ending up being a solid starting strong safety for The Ravens and was better in coverage than Pollard.

52520Andrew

Pro Bowler
These moves hurt right now but they will pay dividends when CJ isn't taking 18 mil in cap space in 2022 and Z Smith isn't taking up 17 mil as well limiting our ability to sign anyone or extend Lamar if it comes to that. Our salary cap actually looks alright for future years although still a lot can change. Getting the dead money off and starting to roll stuff over is the name of the game.

Brian McFarland‏ @RavensSalaryCap 1h1 hour ago
Brian McFarland Retweeted Chris Bee

Yes and no. Right now they have $100M+ in 2020 Cap space, but that’s w/ only 27 players under contract. A lot will be needed to just fill out the roster. So it won’t be $100M, but it will be a lot more than they’ve ever had. Once FA & the draft are over, we’ll have a better idea.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
These moves hurt right now but they will pay dividends when CJ isn't taking 18 mil in cap space in 2022 and Z Smith isn't taking up 17 mil as well limiting our ability to sign anyone or extend Lamar if it comes to that. Our salary cap actually looks alright for future years although still a lot can change. Getting the dead money off and starting to roll stuff over is the name of the game.

Brian McFarland‏ @RavensSalaryCap 1h1 hour ago
Brian McFarland Retweeted Chris Bee

Yes and no. Right now they have $100M+ in 2020 Cap space, but that’s w/ only 27 players under contract. A lot will be needed to just fill out the roster. So it won’t be $100M, but it will be a lot more than they’ve ever had. Once FA & the draft are over, we’ll have a better idea.

i mean in terms of maximum we'd have in terms of spend next year you'd have to take off about 15m from the from whatever the number is but in all likelihood you have to take off a lot more than that + hopefully we will have re-signed some of our own guys by then too...

at the moment the maximum cap space we'd have available for next year's free agency is about 93m i think - that's pre-cuts, pre-trades etc. which would make the figure go up, but also pre-re-signings that arent vet-minimum+draft picks which would most likely make the figure go down quite a lot

either way we'll end up with a hell of a lot more cap space than we've had since ive been a ravens fan

52520Andrew

Pro Bowler
i mean in terms of maximum we'd have in terms of spend next year you'd have to take off about 15m from the from whatever the number is but in all likelihood you have to take off a lot more than that + hopefully we will have re-signed some of our own guys by then too...

at the moment the maximum cap space we'd have available for next year's free agency is about 93m i think - that's pre-cuts, pre-trades etc. which would make the figure go up, but also pre-re-signings that arent vet-minimum+draft picks which would most likely make the figure go down quite a lot

either way we'll end up with a hell of a lot more cap space than we've had since ive been a ravens fan
Yeah it will be much lower than it is now but should be a nice amount with us hopefully having 4 comp picks as well. Could be a big year for us to load up