• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Offseason Thread

cobrajet

Hall of Famer
Hey, I am just throwing this out there for conversation purposes. I am liking the moves Eric made, cutting some aging veterans, not overpaying for our free agents, and not afraid to make a splash in free agency. I felt in the past that Ozzie overpaid some of our guys (Ray Rice) and rarely ever signed a big name free agent. I just feel like Ozzie may have paid Mosley, passed on Earl Thomas, and may have made an offer to Suggs. Just a thought I had.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Hey, I am just throwing this out there for conversation purposes. I am liking the moves Eric made, cutting some aging veterans, not overpaying for our free agents, and not afraid to make a splash in free agency. I felt in the past that Ozzie overpaid some of our guys (Ray Rice) and rarely ever signed a big name free agent. I just feel like Ozzie may have paid Mosley, passed on Earl Thomas, and may have made an offer to Suggs. Just a thought I had.

i will say this - EDC did make hard moves to try and retain CJ and Sizzle - they were genuinely shocked that Suggs decided to go elsewhere and they couldn't compete with the Jets for CJ's price which was almost unprecedented

i think the other 2 points are interesting though - we seem to have firmly set our lines for what we would pay for our guys to stay and were sorry but ultimately ok with them leaving if we get outbid past what we perceive as their value to our roster

i think that's what Decosta maybe meant when he talked about financial responsibility with the cap and its most obvious with regards to how BWill's contract and CJ's came about

so im not sure the personnel decisions are necessarily different but i think maybe Decosta will draw the lines in the sand a little firmer

Well I can say this, Eric has shown so far he is not afraid to pay up for quality talent, and in Ingram’s case, wont overpay where it is not warranted. What we don’t yet know is whether these acquisitions will look so good a year from now. Thomas missed most of last season with a broken leg, and Ingram is approaching end of life for an NFL RB at age 29. His numbers did drop off last season. In Thomas case he’s had plenty of time to heal so hopefully he’s good to go this year at a high level.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Well I can say this, Eric has shown so far he is not afraid to pay up for quality talent, and in Ingram’s case, wont overpay where it is not warranted. What we don’t yet know is whether these acquisitions will look so good a year from now. Thomas missed most of last season with a broken leg, and Ingram is approaching end of life for an NFL RB at age 29. His numbers did drop off last season. In Thomas case he’s had plenty of time to heal so hopefully he’s good to go this year at a high level.
Ingram only played 12 games last season and even at 29 has preserved his RB life by his split in carries with Kamara. I see this as a two year deal. Earl Thomas is the FS we needed to main up the back end of our defense. He will absolutely be an upgrade on the coverage end, but it remains to be seen how the defense is next season.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
i will say this - EDC did make hard moves to try and retain CJ and Sizzle - they were genuinely shocked that Suggs decided to go elsewhere and they couldn't compete with the Jets for CJ's price which was almost unprecedented

i think the other 2 points are interesting though - we seem to have firmly set our lines for what we would pay for our guys to stay and were sorry but ultimately ok with them leaving if we get outbid past what we perceive as their value to our roster

i think that's what Decosta maybe meant when he talked about financial responsibility with the cap and its most obvious with regards to how BWill's contract and CJ's came about

so im not sure the personnel decisions are necessarily different but i think maybe Decosta will draw the lines in the sand a little firmer
I’ve read this talk about how we were shocked Suggs left but where’s the source? Not being sarcastic—I just haven’t seen one and wanted to check it out myself.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I’ve read this talk about how we were shocked Suggs left but where’s the source? Not being sarcastic—I just haven’t seen one and wanted to check it out myself.

I think it was Zrebiec who said he'd spoken to people in the building just after it was being reported that suggs was going to arizona - if you scroll down Zrebiec's twitter feed you'll probably find the tweet

Ingram only played 12 games last season and even at 29 has preserved his RB life by his split in carries with Kamara. I see this as a two year deal. Earl Thomas is the FS we needed to main up the back end of our defense. He will absolutely be an upgrade on the coverage end, but it remains to be seen how the defense is next season.

IMO the Ingram deal was the safer of the two. He will definitely add a pass catching threat out of the backfield that we haven’t had in a few years. Also he’s still a threat running the ball.

As for Thomas he is a legit ball hawk FS who is smart and will add leadership on the back end. He’s the closest thing to Ed Reed we have seen since Ed left. However, He got a monster deal with $32 mil guaranteed coming off of a season where he only played 4 games, which is why his risk is allot higher IMO. At this point there is no reason to believe that Thomas will not live up to his reputation as one of the best in the business.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Adam Schefter‏Verified account @AdamSchefter 4m4 minutes ago
Baltimore Ravens’ center Matt Skura earned the highest combined distribution of all NFL players in the 2018 Performance-Based Pay program. Skura earned an additional $533,558, nearly doubling his 2018 salary,

that's cool lol - he gets extra money and it doesnt count against the cap

important note: they call it performance-based but it's based around playing time and snaps - skura played 100% of the offensive snaps and some additional special teams snaps as a former UDFA which is why he's getting the highest payout

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
that's cool lol - he gets extra money and it doesnt count against the cap

important note: they call it performance-based but it's based around playing time and snaps - skura played 100% of the offensive snaps and some additional special teams snaps as a former UDFA which is why he's getting the highest payout
shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
let @Lost_In_Translation slow cook a little bit more