• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2019 Forum Mock: Discussion Thread

Truth

Staff Member
Administrator
I don't know how far T.J. Edwards goes, but there may not be a team more suited for his weaknesses than New England. If we look at their recent starting MIKEs, we go from Brandon Spikes, to Dont'a Hightower, to Ja'Whaun Bentley. All LBs with limitations as far as lateral agility goes, as well as average foot speed, but each one had solid instincts, and both the frame and the downhill mentality to avoid being washed out in traffic. He may have his issues regardless, but at this stage, he's perhaps worth the risk.

Pat829

Practice Squad
I don't know how far T.J. Edwards goes, but there may not be a team more suited for his weaknesses than New England. If we look at their recent starting MIKEs, we go from Brandon Spikes, to Dont'a Hightower, to Ja'Whaun Bentley. All LBs with limitations as far as lateral agility goes, as well as average foot speed, but each one had solid instincts, and both the frame and the downhill mentality to avoid being washed out in traffic. He may have his issues regardless, but at this stage, he's perhaps worth the risk.

We're still waiting on a 40 time for him, right? If he runs well, that'll help. Mike Lombardi has a saying I like: "When your MIKE linebacker is slow, your defense is slow."

Truth

Staff Member
Administrator
We're still waiting on a 40 time for him, right? If he runs well, that'll help. Mike Lombardi has a saying I like: "When your MIKE linebacker is slow, your defense is slow."
He ran a 4.8, from what I recall, and that sounds about right. He doesn't play very fast on tape. I don't buy into the latter as a definite sentiment. Bentley ran a 4.75 at his pro day and was terrific as their starting MIKE before the ACL tear. The average 40 time of the LBs mentioned in the prior post is 4.81. It all depends on what the role requires.

Take the Super Bowl for example, the first half specifically. The Patriots ran mostly a 4-3 Over. On running downs, Patrick Chung and Van Noy would be the SAM and WILL, respectively, both lining up at the LOS. Hightower was left as the MIKE and would line up either right over the center or shade over to the weakside A-gap. When the OG/C would double the NT or 3T, or the OT/TE would double the LE, the second party would peel off and head for the MIKE. So Hightower was bombarded by either a lineman or a TE on numerous before being able to make it to the ball carrier. In that respect, sacrificing foot speed for the ability to take on larger bodies wasn't troubling. On obvious passing downs, Van Noy would shift to MLB with Hightower as an edge rusher. I don't see Edwards being utilized much in those scenarios with Devin White and Thomas Davis available. But he does at least seem like a solid fit on running downs if he's needed.

Ludy51

Hall of Famer
I feel like with the Broncos O-Line coach, I can take chances on smaller school guys, and Udoh is about as small-school as it gets.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Give me more picks.
41a1JExZvNL.jpg

I think you have a problem my friend