• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Perriman and WR Hype

ZonaRaven

Practice Squad
It's exciting to see what both Perriman and Maclin do this season. Having both under contract for next year too affords us the luxury of being able to focus on the O-Line next season if we cannot lock it up this year. As frustrating as it's been, I didn't give up on Perriman and I think he's going to be a flat out stud and have a massive year.

IF we can stay healthy, we have a WR/TE skill-set to attack every level and have multiple players who can take it to the house at any time if given the ball in stride and with a yard or two of space. Now someone needs to tell Joe to stop throwing off his back foot. It's crazy to think where we are now on both sides of the ball compared to where we were before the draft.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
To be a bit more clear, here are the points where Perriman had to improve going into this offseason:

-Route running: Obviously, he's never had the time to developp that so having a more diverse route tree and a clean release off the line should help him a ton.

-Backshoulder/Breadbasket catch: As weird as it sounds he didn't make any if those catches last season, only twisting-contested-super-hard catches. But you can't be a deep threat if you don't adjust to the ball on the run.

-Intermediate catches. Probably what he has to fix first. A lot of frustration came because he didn't catch those easy yards. And when watching the Miami TD, you can see how lethal he can be if gets some of those. This will force CB to not play off coverage on him and take more risks to stop him, allowing him to get deep easier, as well as freeing up space for Wallace and Mac.

-Rapport with Joe: absolutely necessary. Shoukd help for all the above and you can't produce if you're not in sync with your QB.

Those are to me the boxes Perriman has to check to really become a dominant WR.

Sooky

Pro Bowler
I think as long as Marty M. realizes his QB's strength is to throw 10+ yards at a time downfield that the offense will immediately get better. I hope the playbook gets changed up a bit to utilize those medium-long range passes. That is what makes Flacco so good and it hasn't happened since the super bowl. The team now has deep threats that will burn them if defenses do not stay honest. But that all starts with the o-line. If the o-line can protect for 4-5 seconds and the offense can begin to get a few of those deep passes a game, the run game will open back up.

Please no more screens. This team does not have the slot personnel to run screens. Run two receivers deep and one cutting across. I think a majority of Wallace's yards last season were on those drag routes.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
I think as long as Marty M. realizes his QB's strength is to throw 10+ yards at a time downfield that the offense will immediately get better. I hope the playbook gets changed up a bit to utilize those medium-long range passes. That is what makes Flacco so good and it hasn't happened since the super bowl. The team now has deep threats that will burn them if defenses do not stay honest. But that all starts with the o-line. If the o-line can protect for 4-5 seconds and the offense can begin to get a few of those deep passes a game, the run game will open back up.

Please no more screens. This team does not have the slot personnel to run screens. Run two receivers deep and one cutting across. I think a majority of Wallace's yards last season were on those drag routes.
Actually we do. Maclin is one of the best in the league at taking screens.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

Maclin is fabulous running screens and Woodhead is great at them as well and fully expect him to be involved this year...a lot.

flubberdubber

Practice Squad
I love the deep game as much as anyone but the screen game to Maclin and Woodhead will likely be our best friend next year. Will help the pass rush massively knowing that they cant always just pin their ears back and get after Joe without looking so out of the play it is embarrassing. Also I was really impressed last year when Ronnie Stanley was on the move, he had a couple skip pulls to the inside and outside that were really impressive. I expect he will turn into a monster in the screen game. I also expect Alex Lewis to excel here too.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
Wait, why are we hyping up our guys? Let's not make that mistake like we did with the secondary. I don't want any casualties damn it!

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Every speculation that we make is based on the asumption that the run game performs. If it doesn't our receiving corps isn't balanced enough to carry a decent offense.
I think for the first time, we have a wr corps capable of carrying the load without run support, now whether or not the OL gives joe time to deliver is a different question.

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor

Sooky

Pro Bowler
Possibly better now with Maclin and Woodhead but still the screen development last year was horrendous.
Lol I was right back in June. The screen game has not improved. It was barely okay when we had Rice who was a top 3 running back here most his career. This team is trash when it comes to screens.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor

I have to disagree with the article, Perriman has always been our #3 WR and we all know how Flacco loves spreading the ball so well. Going into the year we had expected Perriman to be our #2 at minimum and give him the experience that he needed with Flacco. With Perriman at the #3, need I remind you the success he had with Steve Smith and Mike Wallace over him? The catches he was routinely making? My issue is what has changed? Flacco has looked like a complete shell of himself with the throws that he is making.

I give credit where its due, Perriman has been open throughout the year and Flacco has missed him.

It's pathetic, and as a huge Flacco fan I am pissed that he has not developed a relationship with Perriman. It doesn't even look like he is trying until the last couple of drives, reference the last game. Everything was a check down.

We should have kept Taylor if that's all we are going to do or go get Teddy Bridge smh.

Tank

Hall of Famer
Lol I was right back in June. The screen game has not improved. It was barely okay when we had Rice who was a top 3 running back here most his career. This team is trash when it comes to screens.
It was decent for one series, then Woodhead went down. lol

Tank

Hall of Famer
I think Breshad deserves another chance, but I'm not sure how he can be worked in when he returns. Maybe he needs a situation for a while where there's less pressure to perform. I don't know where/when that is, may not be in Bmore. After so much hype about how much he had improved in the off season 4 catches from 18 targets is pretty telling.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
I don't care if you're usain bolt.

If you can't catch or run routes and mentally weak you are not going to be any factor in the NFL

I said after the draft we basically used a 1st round pick on an great athelete but rubbish football player