• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Welcome to Baltimore: Jaylon Ferguson and Miles Boykin

rossihunter2

Staff Member
speed to power, so in other words... bullrush. and youve said bend well and nice hands quite a few times but man... i have no idea where you are getting that. like i almost wanna say youre objectively wrong on the bend, but i respect your opinion so i wont and ill just say you see something that i dont lol. like i just dont see it man, i dont see what there is to suggest the constant stonewalling is something that will change against better competition.

his tape is basically sacks, and then REALLY ugly lost snaps, all throughout, if he isnt able to just get in the chest and drive into the qb then he latches on and its all over.

i likewise respect your opinion which is why im open to being wrong on this (especially with how recently i came around on ferguson as a prospect) but i just got really excited about watching his tape and there's only a few players each year that get me hyped off the tape like that - marquise brown and jaylon ferguson were 2 of them this year

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
The potential is clearly there. Could he bust? Sure? Anyone can.

But I don’t think he’s a stiff as Joey says and I think he actually has pass rushing moves. He needs tweaking certainly, but it’s just another meltdown
ill tell you if its just another meltdown, but i think ive been pretty good with pass rushers over the years, and ive never seen a pass rusher that looks like ferguson on tape translate to the nfl, he IS stiff, his movements are labored, he doesnt carry weight well and struggles to reroute momentum to make any kind of adaptive rush, he doesnt have the traits to translate, rushers like him very rarely work out in the nfl, most tackles he will face will have enough anchor for them to realize he offers NOTHING other than bullrush, so they can hunker down and commit to stopping that, hes gotta give SOME threat around the edge, or inside counter, or any kind of variety just to keep tackles on their toes, but he doesnt have the physical makeup to do anything else

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
If Ferguson was at least great against the run it would make me feel better about him developmentally. It does mean something to me that Martindale
Loves him. and the way Ferguson played vs. Lsu so far as effort is how I'd like him to play all the time.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
my only hope is that ferguson can be improved enough as an athelete to make him better.
btw i was high on judon in the 2016 draft.
I cannot say the same for ferguson

i sometimes do question how good these scouts for the ravens are. I've been hitting more then they have over the past 7 years

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
That's heartening for me. He knows a fair amount and he's seen his share, no doubt.
I trust Wink over literally every poster on here. I don’t give a fuck how smart you think you are, coaches are the real experts.

When I look at Ferguson my agreement lies with @rossihunter2 . Guy who is really good at converting speed to power, has a couple of moves to go to based off of that(bull rush, hand swipes). Can use his hands, and hes got an absolutely relentless motor on his best tape. Whenever he plays one million miles an hour, he’s flat out unstoppable.

He needs work. I agree. He ain’t perfect. But he’s got good length, power, understanding of how to use his hands, and when his motor is on, I see a good on the field athlete with solid burst. He needs work and a decent amount of it, but he’s got some good traits.

He’s way further along than Correa who Joey CHAMPIONED(and I have several witnesses who can confirm), and further along than Bowser(Ozzie even said he was going to be a SAM, FFS Harbaugh use him that way).

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
i need this guy to make this same video for jaylon ferguson to talk me off the ledge. this points out a lot of subtleties i wouldnt notice on my own.

i dont see subtleties with ferguson though... still hoping someone changes my mind
Voch did a breakdown if thats worth anything?

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
I trust Wink over literally every poster on here. I don’t give a fuck how smart you think you are, coaches are the real experts.

When I look at Ferguson my agreement lies with @rossihunter2 . Guy who is really good at converting speed to power, has a couple of moves to go to based off of that(bull rush, hand swipes). Can use his hands, and hes got an absolutely relentless motor on his best tape. Whenever he plays one million miles an hour, he’s flat out unstoppable.

He needs work. I agree. He ain’t perfect. But he’s got good length, power, understanding of how to use his hands, and when his motor is on, I see a good on the field athlete with solid burst. He needs work and a decent amount of it, but he’s got some good traits.

He’s way further along than Correa who Joey CHAMPIONED(and I have several witnesses who can confirm), and further along than Bowser(Ozzie even said he was going to be a SAM, FFS Harbaugh use him that way).
Likely more than all of us combined I'd say. It is encouraging hearing him say that about Ferguson. And as I said, they worked him out more than any other prospect and that means something as well.
I don't see him doing certain things that ought to be in his repertoire. Basic things like taking on half. I don't see him even working to get hands off or reaching to swat. I'm curious to see how we use him.

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
Likely more than all of us combined I'd say. It is encouraging hearing him say that about Ferguson. And as I said, they worked him out more than any other prospect and that means something as well.
I don't see him doing certain things that ought to be in his repertoire. Basic things like taking on half. I don't see him even working to get hands off or reaching to swat. I'm curious to see how we use him.
sTrONg sAftEy

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
I think a lot of that can be attributed to coaching, or the lack thereof that he received at his school.
It's weird, he plays with a hell of a motor and appears to have his head on straight, and if Wink believes he can get the best out of it, frankly it's enough for me to like it.

We turned Za'Darius Smith into a guy who got overpaid and schemed into a lot of sacks. If we can take his unpolished ass and do that, then we can do that with Ferguson.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
If Ferguson was at least great against the run it would make me feel better about him developmentally. It does mean something to me that Martindale
Loves him. and the way Ferguson played vs. Lsu so far as effort is how I'd like him to play all the time.

I think wink quite clearly has a plan for Ferguson and how he’ll use him early - even if he doesn’t develop he seems like a good finisher - someone who might feast in our exotic pressure system with blitzers coming from different spots or rushing multiple people in the same gap - at the very least I expect him to be successful as a stunter for us early

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

i championed correa after the fact, hes not a guy i wanted us to take, but talked myself into it afterwards because he had the fastest first step in his class. i wanted michael thomas, myles jack, or noah spence.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Ferguson pick doesn't feel spectacular to me, but I'm encouraged by what Wink said. You don't meet with a prospect with his motor and production 3 times and say he gave the best interview you've ever seen and come to the conclusion he's a bust. They see someone with their head in the game and some good physical tools and think he can be coached up. And I believe them, we've turned worse in good players.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
i championed correa after the fact, hes not a guy i wanted us to take, but talked myself into it afterwards because he had the fastest first step in his class. i wanted michael thomas, myles jack, or noah spence.
That doesn't change the fact that you called him Anthony Barr and defended him for the better part of two years despite the fact that his length was shit and that he was rawer than Ahi Tuna. In a lot of ways Ferguson is the exact opposite as his game is far more polished than you're giving it credit than, and his athleticism on a football field is too. Wouldn't surprise me at all if Jaylon gets fiveish sacks this year because I think Wink is going to know how to use him.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Also y’all are sleeping on Miles Boykin. You heard it here first, Boykin will break 600 yards and 3 touchdowns and surpass Crabtree's production from last year as a rookie

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
I think wink quite clearly has a plan for Ferguson and how he’ll use him early - even if he doesn’t develop he seems like a good finisher - someone who might feast in our exotic pressure system with blitzers coming from different spots or rushing multiple people in the same gap - at the very least I expect him to be successful as a stunter for us early
I see him as more of a Za'Darius replacement... But potentially way better. He projects well as a guy who can go on the interior too with his strength and a good ability to shed blocks on the interior and go between gaps. The pro day was bad, but I care about FOOTBALL SPEED. And based off of his tape, he has plenty. Solid closing speed when getting to the QB, ability to shoot gaps in the middle, long arms that he knows how to use, and fucking strong as shit.

Remember, Suggs tested poorly too. But he showed athleticism on the football field. That's what I care about. He's not nearly as polished as Suggs was

I think what would really do him some good, frankly, is if he cut down like 10 pounds.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I see him as more of a Za'Darius replacement... But potentially way better. He projects well as a guy who can go on the interior too with his strength and a good ability to shed blocks on the interior and go between gaps. The pro day was bad, but I care about FOOTBALL SPEED. And based off of his tape, he has plenty. Solid closing speed when getting to the QB, ability to shoot gaps in the middle, long arms that he knows how to use, and fucking strong as shit.

Remember, Suggs tested poorly too. But he showed athleticism on the football field. That's what I care about. He's not nearly as polished as Suggs was

I think what would really do him some good, frankly, is if he cut down like 10 pounds.

Yeah he added weight even from the combine to the pro day and I’m not sure it’s necessarily going to help him in the pros but we’ll see

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
That doesn't change the fact that you called him Anthony Barr and defended him for the better part of two years despite the fact that his length was shit and that he was rawer than Ahi Tuna. In a lot of ways Ferguson is the exact opposite as his game is far more polished than you're giving it credit than, and his athleticism on a football field is too. Wouldn't surprise me at all if Jaylon gets fiveish sacks this year because I think Wink is going to know how to use him.
first of all, anthony barr isnt that damn incredible lol, when we said we were converting him to LB i used him as a comparison because hes an athletic off the ball OLB who does a lot of pass rushing. i too trusted in the coaches on correa, i saw a really explosive guy with a shitload of hustle and thought they had ideas in mind for him, sound familiar?

also... i didnt know shit then lol. but i did know that of the multiple times we were on the clock i didnt want him, i had my guys, 2 of which have turned out very successful and the third not so much. i defended the shit out of him because i saw upside and he was getting TRASHED by people, same as you. also i literally used correa as an example as to why we shouldnt take ferguson, we shouldve learned our lesson with stiff as fuck edge rushers with zero technical skill