• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Welcome to Baltimore: Jaylon Ferguson and Miles Boykin

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
Alright guys it’s happening. I’m falling into the trap of buying into the hype about boykins potential.

Plsss let it happen

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I like Boykin more than I originally did, and that video pointed out some subtleties that I didn’t spot on my own, but I’m still not sold... he looks SOOOOO SLOWWWW and idk how the hell he tested as well as he did and his “separation” in college is about what boldin got in the nfl, very little, so does that gap close even more against nfl competition? Or does he progress enough to keep ahead of the curve? Is there something in a nfl conditioning program that will get him playing closer to his testing speed? Idk man, feels like a lot of projection with Boykin and I sure as hell don’t have faith in the development of a big body receiver, based on our track record with them

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
I like Boykin more than I originally did, and that video pointed out some subtleties that I didn’t spot on my own, but I’m still not sold... he looks SOOOOO SLOWWWW and idk how the hell he tested as well as he did and his “separation” in college is about what boldin got in the nfl, very little, so does that gap close even more against nfl competition? Or does he progress enough to keep ahead of the curve? Is there something in a nfl conditioning program that will get him playing closer to his testing speed? Idk man, feels like a lot of projection with Boykin and I sure as hell don’t have faith in the development of a big body receiver, based on our track record with them
This big body WR actually has good hands and can run routes.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
This is true, I mean he has technical skill and is a smart route runner and understands the concepts, but he still doesn’t separate.... so what does he improve to gain better separation?
He separates on slants and he was a PI magnet in college. Factor in the fact that opposing defenses are literally going to be incapable of playing press all the time.... Well have fun with the height. Especially since he also can play the slot.

I don't think Boykin ever reaches his maximum potential, but I do think he's going to be a good at worst WR

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
He separates on slants and he was a PI magnet in college. Factor in the fact that opposing defenses are literally going to be incapable of playing press all the time.... Well have fun with the height. Especially since he also can play the slot.

I don't think Boykin ever reaches his maximum potential, but I do think he's going to be a good at worst WR
He does get separation on slants, but it’s modest separation and he’s gonna have to find a way to not let NFL DBs narrow that gap. That’s all I’m saying.

I do like Boykin, I’m just not as high on him as you are

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
This is true, I mean he has technical skill and is a smart route runner and understands the concepts, but he still doesn’t separate.... so what does he improve to gain better separation?
if you watched the video, you will see he separates because of his route running. I'm not sure we needed to trade up to get him

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
He does get separation on slants, but it’s modest separation and he’s gonna have to find a way to not let NFL DBs narrow that gap. That’s all I’m saying.

I do like Boykin, I’m just not as high on him as you are
He's pretty big guy though - doesn't necessary need as much separation as smaller guys.
I agree with you on his speed though - combine testing doesn't make sense to me when I watch him. Maybe it's a running style (low ass, straight upper body) and his size making him look like labouring through sprint but something's definitely off in that picture.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
He's pretty big guy though - doesn't necessary need as much separation as smaller guys.
I agree with you on his speed though - combine testing doesn't make sense to me when I watch him. Maybe it's a running style (low ass, straight upper body) and his size making him look like labouring through sprint but something's definitely off in that picture.
I know bigger guys need a different kind of separation, but here’s how I’m looking at it.. the separation you get in college can essentially be cut in half in the pros, so if he’s getting a yard max when he runs a slant in college(against tight man, he works off man very well actually) then he can work with that, when that gap gets tighter in the pros how will he hold up? And separation downfield he gets none. For instance, kelvin Harmon got better separation and arguably caught a contested ball just as well if not better than Boykin, I think his separation will translate better because he got more separation in college and thus his openings should be wider in the nfl too. Can Boykin progress his game enough to maintain the same level of separation he gotnin college? Again I like Boykin but I think he’s a pretty low ceiling guy, and for every boldin there’s a hundred Guys who we swear is the next one and they can’t bring that big bodied possession game to the nfl for whatever reason. He’s gonna have to get very refined over the next 2 years and bring his route game to an elite level because he’s not gonna be separating the same way and he’s not gonna be bodying guys up the same way either.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
I'm just starting to accept the pattern with guys like boykin. People always bring up bad QB as an excuse for limited production but these somewhat raw guys who havent put it together even though they have athletic gifts and height just don't pan out.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I'm just starting to accept the pattern with guys like boykin. People always bring up bad QB as an excuse for limited production but these somewhat raw guys who havent put it together even though they have athletic gifts and height just don't pan out.
he's not raw, raw guys aren't good route runners and that is how he is creating separation. Even when he is covered, he's open.

Sandtown

Pro Bowler

His 3 cone drill time was 6.77 which is actually real good for a guy his size. If anything its up to The Ravens wide receiver coach to teach him how to play faster on the football field because obviously the guy has the ability to seperate if his 3 cone drill time is as good as it is.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
If he's '' even when he is covered, he's open'' that means he's a pro bowl player.
to each his own. you have been challenged each year to play the forum mock and each time turn it down. We all know why you don't play the game.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
to each his own. you have been challenged each year to play the forum mock and each time turn it down. We all know why you don't play the game.

cant remember it being ''each year'' but this year, up until around 3 weeks ago i hardly spent anytime on the forum because of personal issues.