• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Welcome to Baltimore: Jaylon Ferguson and Miles Boykin

Charm City

Pro Bowler
Tell me how Ferguson is not another jarvis jones? That's who i see in college.
Just not athletic enough. Good hands and knows moves but he doesn't have that explosion or bend.
He is the typical "large 3-4 OLB who is not asked to cover and can be moved inside to use his bullrush to collapse the pocket" type of player who we draft every few years a la Pernell McPhee and Za'Darius Smith.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
I think a lot of that can be attributed to coaching, or the lack thereof that he received at his school.
It's weird, he plays with a hell of a motor and appears to have his head on straight, and if Wink believes he can get the best out of it, frankly it's enough for me to like it.

We turned Za'Darius Smith into a guy who got overpaid and schemed into a lot of sacks. If we can take his unpolished ass and do that, then we can do that with Ferguson.
This is a key for me. A lot of it has to do with Tim Williams and Bowser being successful, particularly in year one while he grows his game. He may well be a good piece( with upside)right now assuming one of the aforementioned comes through

rossihunter2

Staff Member
This is a key for me. A lot of it has to do with Tim Williams and Bowser being successful, particularly in year one while he grows his game. He may well be a good piece( with upside)right now assuming one of the aforementioned comes through

Yeah I’m not expecting him to be the nailed on finished product who can start on the edge for us but he’s someone I fully expect to make an impact as part of the rotation - it would be huge for this team if Tim Williams can sort his life out because he really looked like he was coming on early in the year before his injury and it would allow us to use Jaylon Ferguson to his strengths too

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
Yeah I’m not expecting him to be the nailed on finished product who can start on the edge for us but he’s someone I fully expect to make an impact as part of the rotation - it would be huge for this team if Tim Williams can sort his life out because he really looked like he was coming on early in the year before his injury and it would allow us to use Jaylon Ferguson to his strengths too
actually watching Ferguson vs. South Alabama (at 3/4 speed) and his runs defense and effort in the first 1:20 is spectacular. I need to get back to that....

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Ferguson was 271 at the combine and players always seem to add weight when the go to the nfl. He's going to be the size of a lineman. I think we're primarily going to use him as an interior rusher against guards.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Ferguson was 271 at the combine and players always seem to add weight when the go to the nfl. He's going to be the size of a lineman. I think we're primarily going to use him as an interior rusher against guards.
if he plays at a really heavy weight and can slide inside to 3tech then its an interesting pick, hes definitely explosive and powerful as hell so he may be able to do that.

but then on running downs... what does he do? hes a pretty poor run defender in general, hes not a guy who can play big OLB and then kick inside to the 3 on passing downs. i highly doubt they drafted ferguson to line up inside.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
My quick take on both:

°Ferguson is a Ravens pick if there ever was one. I'm not his biggest fan but I can get around this pick, and if Martindale is excited to have him I'm totally good with it. We've turned much worse players into good pros. He does need improve in a fair amount of ways, but nothing that looks impossible. He can play right away and improve on the fly a la Matt Judon.

°Boykin, I'm a little bothered by the price we paid for that trade up, and that we passed on Harmon and Ridley, two guys I would have loved here, but to get Boykin in the third is great value all in all. People want to put the "Combine guy" etiquette but turn on the tape and he's really good. Some guys (Josh Norris, Mello of Stick to Football) had him much higher than this because the talent is real.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
first of all, anthony barr isnt that damn incredible lol, when we said we were converting him to LB i used him as a comparison because hes an athletic off the ball OLB who does a lot of pass rushing. i too trusted in the coaches on correa, i saw a really explosive guy with a shitload of hustle and thought they had ideas in mind for him, sound familiar?

also... i didnt know shit then lol. but i did know that of the multiple times we were on the clock i didnt want him, i had my guys, 2 of which have turned out very successful and the third not so much. i defended the shit out of him because i saw upside and he was getting TRASHED by people, same as you. also i literally used correa as an example as to why we shouldnt take ferguson, we shouldve learned our lesson with stiff as fuck edge rushers with zero technical skill
Except there are times where Ferguson is good with his hands with hand swipes and he knows how to use those long arms of his... Which is another reason to say that's a shitty comparison.

I have my issues with him, but the value here? And don't give me the whole "but Butler and Harmon". Butler has always been overrated and I'm glad that other NFL teams agree with me.

Give him a fucking chance.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
i can understand why we took ferguson, if hes good enough at what he does to just win in the nfl with power rushes, then sure hes worth a third if not for projection and ceiling alone. but thats a big if, youre expecting this guy who lacks the tools to round out his rushing game to win in the nfl with just hands and power and first step, i think thats asking a lot. its hard to be a quality edge rusher in this league without the great bend to flatten that edge and capitalize on a good jump off the ball, if a great first step and power is all you needed to be a great edge rusher and bend didnt matter, emmanuel ogbah wouldve been an all pro by now, these 2 are nearly identical on film and ogbah didnt take plays off.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
Except there are times where Ferguson is good with his hands with hand swipes and he knows how to use those long arms of his... Which is another reason to say that's a shitty comparison.

I have my issues with him, but the value here? And don't give me the whole "but Butler and Harmon". Butler has always been overrated and I'm glad that other NFL teams agree with me.

No shit Butler reminds me of Tommy Streeter. Not style but in terms of a dude who is overhyped and we think he’s a second round pick when he’s really a 4th or 5th round pick maybe later.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

his hand moves dont strike me as "technical" or skilled, but rather just a byproduct of him playing a game predicated on power, if he wins in the nfl with bullrushes, bench presses, and swats and down rips, then good for him, but it strikes me as just trying to win with brute force, ill need to see that translate before i have faith in it.

ill agree, the value is fine, maybe even a steal, but i am not a fan of his film or his skill set. also, im not directly comparing ferguson and correa as players, theyre quite different, just saying that i dont believe in stiff rushers and correa is the player that taught me that lesson, and i havent seen a stiff rusher successfully translate since then.

also... NO I WONT GIVE HIM A FUCKING CHANCE

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
if he plays at a really heavy weight and can slide inside to 3tech then its an interesting pick, hes definitely explosive and powerful as hell so he may be able to do that.

but then on running downs... what does he do? hes a pretty poor run defender in general, hes not a guy who can play big OLB and then kick inside to the 3 on passing downs. i highly doubt they drafted ferguson to line up inside.
Well, He'll have Pierce or Williams beside him and probably a good edge setter on the other side, plus we have LBs that are good against the run. I'm not too worried if there's an undersized interior rusher when everyone around him is great against the run.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
What I like about Ferguson is that he's not a one trick pony. He doesn't just set up on the edge and explode past tackles. He can be just as effective bull rushing, stunting, pressuring up the middle. He can also play the run and to able to get him in the 3rd round is just huge value.

Last edited:

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
What I like about Ferguson is that he's not a one trick pony. He doesn't just set up on the edge and explode past tackles. He can be just as effective bull rushing, stunting, pressuring up the middle. He can also play the run and to get him in the 3rd round is just huge value.
Lies. Szn over

The other thing about Jaylon Ferguson is that he's the guy who broke Suggs' NCAA sack record. Does it mean anything? No. But it's a nice Ravens connection.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor

I'll tell you something. he will be better than bowser

All bowser has the capacity to do is chase a TE. He's absoltuley useless as a football player because he has 0 instincts and hand technique as a rusher.

Ferguson has great hand techniuqe.

He just needs to be a bit more athletic. Maybe Saunders can max him out and then who knows. I worry about guys who cannot bend.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I'll tell you something. he will be better than bowser

All bowser has the capacity to do is chase a TE. He's absoltuley useless as a football player because he has 0 instincts and hand technique as a rusher.

Ferguson has great hand techniuqe.

He just needs to be a bit more athletic. Maybe Saunders can max him out and then who knows. I worry about guys who cannot bend.
Bowser should be used as a SAM lb and not an edge. He was drafted as a sam and hasn't been used the way he was drafted.