• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2020 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Did Derrick brown take a massive leap in athleticism this year? I never thought very highly of him as a prospect but I watched some 2019 tape for the first time just now and wow, it looks unnatural for him to move that quick at that size. He looks noticeably more athletic than last year

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Did Derrick brown take a massive leap in athleticism this year? I never thought very highly of him as a prospect but I watched some 2019 tape for the first time just now and wow, it looks unnatural for him to move that quick at that size. He looks noticeably more athletic than last year
He didn't look half bad last year, either.

JO_75

Hall of Famer

I'd love to get him but he's going inside the top 10 for sure. We need to focus on the defensive line for sure, B-Will cap hit is $14M, and Pierce is a free agent to be. Though the more realistic scenario is trading up a few spots for Raekwon Davis from Alabama who could replace Williams on a cheaper cost over 5 years on the rookie contract + 5th year option.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I'd love to get him but he's going inside the top 10 for sure. We need to focus on the defensive line for sure, B-Will cap hit is $14M, and Pierce is a free agent to be. Though the more realistic scenario is trading up a few spots for Raekwon Davis from Alabama who could replace Williams on a cheaper cost over 5 years on the rookie contract + 5th year option.
If we were to cut BWill we would only save 4.3m. We most likely don't cut him until 2020 when we can save 10m. We do need to continue drafting DL though.

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Javon Kinlaw, DT from South Carolina) looks like a potential steal if he gets to the latter part of the first round. Really good athleticism, knows how to use his size to just be in the way of the QB's passing lane, and is a real attack dog. Could definitely use some refinement in his technique but that's coachable.

My favorite pass rusher so far, besides Chase Young, is Tipa Galeai. He just looks he could be a game changer for us as an edge rusher.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
I really hope Yanda plays out his contract and we sign Joe thuney for LG and focus all our attention on Defense in the draft.

The ILB from Clemson looks like a beast tbh

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
I really hope Yanda plays out his contract and we sign Joe thuney for LG and focus all our attention on Defense in the draft.

If the season is a bust and we get somewhere between the 8th to 15th pick I would love Simmons from Clemson. He would be such a gigantic improvement for our lb corps.

Isaiah Simmons? I feel like he’s a better version of Derwin James. A do it all player. Take a look at Willie Gay Jr. from Miss St. His coverage skills are ridiculous. Highly athletic player as well

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Isaiah Simmons? I feel like he’s a better version of Derwin James. A do it all player. Take a look at Willie [profanity deleted] Jr. from Miss St. His coverage skills are ridiculous. Highly athletic player as well
WillieGayJr

This draft class is going to be ridiculous

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
If the season is a bust and we get somewhere between the 8th to 15th pick I would love Simmons from Clemson. He would be such a gigantic improvement for our lb corps.
I always thought of Simmons as more of a SS, he played safety up until this year and was absolutely incredible there, and I think when he gets to the nfl he might be better off as a strong/dime

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
I always thought of Simmons as more of a SS, he played safety up until this year and was absolutely incredible there, and I think when he gets to the nfl he might be better off as a strong/dime
I would use him as a hybrid lb/safety. Let him lead the defense from the middle with the range to follow any play from there and ability to shut down rbs and tes.

As a light lb he can be like our version Shazier.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I would use him as a hybrid lb/safety. Let him lead the defense from the middle with the range to follow any play from there and ability to shut down rbs and tes.

As a light lb he can be like our version Shazier.
He may be lightweight but is he as explosive as shazier? This is a thing people like to say but shazier was FREAKISHLY explosive, he was the most explosive LB in the league and would probably outrun most SSs in 20 yard sprints. They replaced shazier with mark barron and I would never consider Barron a capable replacement because he’s not nearly as explosive.

I’m not sure Simmons is built like that, he might be closer to a Derwin James, plenty of athleticism but more physical than explosive, physical enough to play ILB in the nfl though? Doubt it, explosive enough to make it a worthwhile position change? Maybe, but I would have zero doubts about his ability to play safety.

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
He may be lightweight but is he as explosive as shazier? This is a thing people like to say but shazier was FREAKISHLY explosive, he was the most explosive LB in the league and would probably outrun most SSs in 20 yard sprints. They replaced shazier with mark barron and I would never consider Barron a capable replacement because he’s not nearly as explosive.

I’m not sure Simmons is built like that, he might be closer to a Derwin James, plenty of athleticism but more physical than explosive, physical enough to play ILB in the nfl though? Doubt it, explosive enough to make it a worthwhile position change? Maybe, but I would have zero doubts about his ability to play safety.
I think he's at least close to Shazier's explosiveness. He flies around the field.

I like him at lb because with him at ILB it's impossible to predict what he does and what the play is gonna be. He can cover the middle in zone, man to man cover the RB or TE, or even the slot wr. He could blitz any gap. He gives us incredible versatility. And so far he has looked like a natural at lb this season.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
PFF 2020 1st Round

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-pff-...urrow-goes-no-1-overall-to-cincinnati-bengals

23. BALTIMORE RAVENS: EDGE CURTIS WEAVER, BOISE STATE
Weaver is a very Ravens-y edge rusher with exceptional power in his hands and the versatility to kick inside. He’s earning another elite pass-rushing grade this season while playing even more snaps. Weaver’s 36 pressures so far are the second-most in the country.
I like him. He would be a really good fit.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
PFF 2020 1st Round

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-pff-...urrow-goes-no-1-overall-to-cincinnati-bengals

23. BALTIMORE RAVENS: EDGE CURTIS WEAVER, BOISE STATE
Weaver is a very Ravens-y edge rusher with exceptional power in his hands and the versatility to kick inside. He’s earning another elite pass-rushing grade this season while playing even more snaps. Weaver’s 36 pressures so far are the second-most in the country.
Just discovered him. Really good pass rusher...consistent with multiple ways to get there. Pretty relentless and physical. Has a long way to go as a run defender so far as being instinctive and finding the ball but he is pretty solid at the point. I'm basing this off of 2018 tape but they line him up all over the place, even dropping him into coverage.
I'm pretty dang impressed with off the edge.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Just discovered him. Really good pass rusher...consistent with multiple ways to get there. Pretty relentless and physical. Has a long way to go as a run defender so far as being instinctive and finding the ball but he is pretty solid at the point. I'm basing this off of 2018 tape but they line him up all over the place, even dropping him into coverage.
I'm pretty dang impressed with off the edge.
I'm alergic to Boise State defenders