• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Training Camp and the Preseason

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
Yes, again nothing new. The league has been more cautious for a few years, but especially the Ravens as they looked for a remedy to the streak of seasons with players falling to season ending injuries.

It looked like the league might move to 2 PS games, but I think coaches were ultimately against it thinking they wouldn’t have enough game time to evaluate new players.

honestly i think 2 preseason games is plenty as long as they can potentially do joint practices that dont involve games a the end...
If they shorten the preseason, I do believe there's a good chance that the regular season will expand by 2 games. After all, there was a proposal of an 18-game season, but players can only play 16 games. If this were to come into fruition, you would think that rosters should increase too then.

Tank

Hall of Famer
If they shorten the preseason, I do believe there's a good chance that the regular season will expand by 2 games. After all, there was a proposal of an 18-game season, but players can only play 16 games. If this were to come into fruition, you would think that rosters should increase too then.
Yeah it looked like they were close to this a few years ago, but it lost momentum. Maybe it happens during negotiations of the next CBA.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

those compromises just wont work product-wise - that means your backup quarterback has to play at least 2 games and if you're in a tight race that might be the last 2 games you play

makes no commercial sense

no way the NFLPA agrees to an 18-game season without major concessions in other areas - player safety is not best-served by adding games

i think more likely is that they cut 2 preseason games but the concession is there's more access for coaches to younger players during the offseason

Tank

Hall of Famer
those compromises just wont work product-wise - that means your backup quarterback has to play at least 2 games and if you're in a tight race that might be the last 2 games you play

no way the NFLPA agrees to an 18-game season without major concessions in other areas - player safety is not best-served by adding games

i think more likely is that they cut 2 preseason games but the concession is there's more access for coaches to younger players during the offseason
Or it could add another dimension to the game. Lengthen the season, increase the roster and have coaches decide who to play when to preserve their level of performance, similar to what must done during a hockey game.

Don’t think the owners will want to go to 2 without going to 18. They now charge season ticket holders equally for 20 games, PS is not discounted because it sucks. lol

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Or it could add another dimension to the game. Lengthen the season, increase the roster and have coaches decide who to play when to preserve their level of performance, similar to what must done during a hockey game.

Don’t think the owners will want to go to 2 without going to 18. They now charge season ticket holders equally for 20 games, PS is not discounted because it sucks. lol

I still think we end up with 17 & 3 when it is all set and done. 17 regular season games, and three preseason games. The 17th game is for London, Mexico and other neutral site games. How it would work with schedule rotation though is another story. Is the 17th game a AFC vs NFC, AFC vs AFC, NFC vs NFC matchup. Adding one more conference game means one more conference game that teams need to win for a tiebreaker or it's just AFC vs NFC while the win and loss would still matter, it would have no impact from a conference standpoint.

The 16 game season is perfect given the league's configuration of 4 team divisions and the rotation through each division within each league. But as we have seen with the perfection of the 64 team NCAA tourney - when money is there for the taking - scheduling perfection be damned.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer

DeMaurice Smith already stated that this proposal has been rejected as shown in this link: https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...ts-latest-proposal-game-season/?noredirect=on

To me, I wouldn't mind either a developmental league, though I'm not sure how it would work from a logistical perspective, or an expansion of rosters if the preseason gets (inevitably) reduced.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Jamison Hensley @jamisonhensley ·

Ravens G Jermaine Eluemunor was driven off in a cart about an hour into practice. He rode in passenger seat, so it’s difficult to tell how serious it is. Mark Ingram, Ronnie Stanley, Gerald Willis and Otaro Alaka all day out portions at the end of practice but didn’t leave field.

I don't know how to feel about Eluemunor - Filmstudy rated him as terrible in the Jags game, but some guy I saw on Reddit today says he looks legit... Who to believe?

My opinion isn't worth shit tbh. I was gonna post a rant on the random thought thread about this sometime - it's hard to get the nuance of a sport like football if you didn't grow up playing/watching it.

I'm from the UK, and I've always had a passing interest in the NFL, but only really got massively into it when I moved to Baltimore in 2015 and found the perfect team for me - plus there's nothing like live games. Trouble is, I don't know much about strategy, scheme and the nuance of each position. With soccer, I get it; I can look at a team and see the formation, the tactics, who did well/messed up even if it was away from the ball. Same with rugby. With football, I'd have to study to get that depth because I didn't grow up with it, and i don't have time to do that.

I understand team building, I get the mentality, and I can see what the team needs position-wise, but I just can't evaluate players yet because I don't understand exactly how they get their jobs done, and what's a good/bad thing to do. I can only see outcomes (sacks, catches, etc). Maybe I'll learn, but right now I have to lean on people who know what they're talking about.

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
I don't know how to feel about Eluemunor - Filmstudy rated him as terrible in the Jags game, but some guy I saw on Reddit today says he looks legit... Who to believe?

Eluemunor was rated much better in the second game against the Packers, for what it's worth. Hopefully his injury isn't too serious because I really don't want Hurst to be handed the job.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
My opinion isn't worth shit tbh. I was gonna post a rant on the random thought thread about this sometime - it's hard to get the nuance of a sport like football if you didn't grow up playing/watching it.

I'm from the UK, and I've always had a passing interest in the NFL, but only really got massively into it when I moved to Baltimore in 2015 and found the perfect team for me - plus there's nothing like live games. Trouble is, I don't know much about strategy, scheme and the nuance of each position. With soccer, I get it; I can look at a team and see the formation, the tactics, who did well/messed up even if it was away from the ball. Same with rugby. With football, I'd have to study to get that depth because I didn't grow up with it, and i don't have time to do that.

I understand team building, I get the mentality, and I can see what the team needs position-wise, but I just can't evaluate players yet because I don't understand exactly how they get their jobs done, and what's a good/bad thing to do. I can only see outcomes (sacks, catches, etc). Maybe I'll learn, but right now I have to lean on people who know what they're talking about.
ill say that there is so much content out there on youtube right now, where guys who know a thing or two will walk you through game film and point out every little nuance. the first that comes to mind for me is voch lombardi, before him i was mostly a highlights and scouting report guy and watched film sparingly, but after getting into voch lombardis channel i really got into film heavy, something like that really highlights attributes and shows you exactly what to look for to form your own opinion, what makes a quality nfl player compared to college athlete.

and our own @Edgar has a really quality youtube channel as well where he does this, and his understanding of playbook concepts are excellent, if you wanna learn how to make out the specifics of what our play callers are trying to accomplish strategically, then his channel will help a lot with that, ive learned a shit-ton about the zone read and how we make easy throws for lamar with it, when before all i thought was "8 guys in the box, cheat up for the run, ez-pass"

rossihunter2

Staff Member

filmstudy also said he had a good game against the packers - and id probably concur - he looked really comfortable

what's more worrying is that he might have got injured during joint practices...

rossihunter2

Staff Member

dont worry dude - ive gone through the same
i think if you watch a lot of the games (not just ravens) you pick up a lot of stuff by osmosis - you just start to get a feel for the rhythm of the game in the same way with football and rugby where you get comfortable with the patterns of how the sport works in different phases and it makes it easier to work out what went wrong because something will look off - now the way that the nfl broadcasts doesnt help give a whole picture when youre watching which is a little annoying but again you get used to it

and once you get comfortable with those patterns and rhythms, joey is right a guy like voch is really good (especially with DL and OL players) at showing slowed down what makes a good play and promising player/attributes etc.

scheme and stuff is a little trickier but certainly on defence you support one of the best defences in the league in terms of being on the cutting edge of the nfl schematically - and honestly it doesnt hugely matter to the fan what scheme you run beyond whether on each play you're playing man coverage, zone coverage or a mixture and whether you're blitzing or not and rushing how many rushers...

the other thing is that outside of obvious mistakes like coverage busts and unless you work in the building, we as fans dont know the call so in many cases who got it wrong is pure conjecture anyway - educated guesses but never know for sure unless someone from the building says so

JO_75

Hall of Famer
After tonight, 49ers don't scare me at all. Looking like Jimmy G is another product of the Patriots offensive system, much like defensive players look like stars here but bust elsewhere because our system made them look good.

A1A

Veteran
Vikings PR @VikingsPR

New #Vikings P Kaare Vedvik's first punt as a Minnesota Viking is fair caught at the Seattle 7-yard line after traveling 38 yards.

Pat's cut their vet punter and are rolling with my guy Bailey. I had him on my radar and had my fingers crossed but anyways it was a cap move...something we should have done honestly. We got a 5th a pick we'll probably end up using on a top flight punter when we had Vedvik already. A guy that can kick FG too. Weird.