• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Training Camp and the Preseason

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Horrible pick giving the fact that even after we all still agree that drafting a 25 year old in the first round was just silly...I'd rather have Goedort and Andrew's all day.
I never cared about his age, he just didnt stand out to me like andrews did. Most people here liked the hurst pick tbh, idk why the change of heart.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
And then we pay him and he gets hit by a bus.

Or maybe THIS (sorry Marvin, er....I mean....Marlon if you're reading this):

USC90DOC201A021001.jpg

Since I'm following the draft, this was the pick I hated the most.
The position, player's age, his history with mental issues / yips (different game but still...), available choices, everything.
There was no value whatsoever in that investment.
Each time we were on the clock, I was like - OK, we're taking James ... oh man we passed ... ok, we're taking Ridley .. ok, we passed again ... Damn - we're geniuses ... we passed and still can get the guy we want in Ridley ... wait ... Hurst? Yes, we got draft capital, but could have still gotten that capital and got Ridley. We'd have a WR this season who is ready to take the next step ... NOW. How nice would it be to have him instead of Hurst?

It was almost like Ozzie wanted to freak everyone out who just assumed we'd go Bama ..

I still don't know if the jury is out, but it doesn't look good. I just don't see him getting a solid chance to shine anyway, since he'll be splitting time with Andrews and Boyle and will probably be lightly used.

Oh well. Spilled milk. Thank god the rest of the draft was pretty much A level. But that draft could have been A+ all the way around.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
At least with week three and four we'll see the starters in action for a lot longer in the next two weeks. Looking like Wentz won't play against us so we won't see a starting QB again this preseason. Eagles did sign Josh McCown and bring him out of retirement though so we'll see him again.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
At least with week three and four we'll see the starters in action for a lot longer in the next two weeks. Looking like Wentz won't play against us so we won't see a starting QB again this preseason. Eagles did sign Josh McCown and bring him out of retirement though so we'll see him again.

harbs has said lamar will play about the same snaps he did in preseason week 2 so i wouldnt hold out hope of seeing longer stints of starters
- probably means we'll see around 20 plays with lamar in the game

rossihunter2

Staff Member
If you hate on Lamar in ONLY his second year, how could you be a true Ravens fan? He will play the most in the third game.

im not hating dude - harbs has literally said in pressers that they wont give lamar extra snaps (because they dont need to) - his snap count will be in line with what he did in preseason 2 and then they'll pull him out of the lineup and his preseason will be done and itll be on to week 1

if lamar balls out this year i imagine we may not see him play at all in preseason next year

BaltRavens

Practice Squad
im not hating dude - harbs has literally said in pressers that they wont give lamar extra snaps (because they dont need to) - his snap count will be in line with what he did in preseason 2 and then they'll pull him out of the lineup and his preseason will be done and itll be on to week 1

if lamar balls out this year i imagine we may not see him play at all in preseason next year

No man, I am not saying you at all. I am just referencing your quote against other bitching Ravens fans. He/she as a fan does not have any valid evidence to hate on our second-year quarterback.

Tank

Hall of Famer
Historically the 3rd pre season game is when healthy starters play the most snaps. Last game pretty much back ups and players on the bubble. No reason to expect anything different this year.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
Looking forward to see what Lamar can do on the road. I would've liked to face Wentz just so we can get a clearer look on what our starting defense can do.

purp

Practice Squad
Historically the 3rd pre season game is when healthy starters play the most snaps. Last game pretty much back ups and players on the bubble. No reason to expect anything different this year.

Not quite. I’m not sure if it was fully in effect last year but it seems like Roman and Jim Harbaugh developed a particular method for distributing snaps that does not include having the starter play a full half in game 3.

Harbs has mentioned it a couple times in his pressers.

Tank

Hall of Famer
Not quite. I’m not sure if it was fully in effect last year but it seems like Roman and Jim Harbaugh developed a particular method for distributing snaps that does not include having the starter play a full half in game 3.

Harbs has mentioned it a couple times in his pressers.
Not quite what? What I said is healthy starters generally play more snaps in the 3rd pre season game than any other, then have always played much less in 4th game which is always used to make some fringe roster decisions. I don’t think that changes. Doesn’t necessarily mean playing any set time like the entire first half, just more than the other games.

I read what John said prior to Thursday’s game when asked about playing time where he said “we kind of balance it out”. Sounds like something he’s done for years, nothing new.

Last edited:
Took my first hard look at boiling us down to 53 man roster. I’ve never been great at predicting this over the years but this year feels more difficult than most years.

Biggest ? For me is ILB. Peanut Board Young and nothing. It would seem we’d want 4 at this position but no one else at that position worth keeping.

Any of our guys listed as OLB that could play inside if needed? Or would we fill with different packages that cover that position so as to not run 2 ILBs all game if one is hurt?

This position could be one where the team blows all roster predictions with a last minute FA acquisition.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Not quite what? What I said is healthy starters generally play more snaps in the 3rd pre season game than any other, then have always played much less in 4th game which is always used to make some fringe roster decisions. I don’t think that changes. Doesn’t necessarily mean playing any set time like the entire first half, just more than the other games.

I read what John said prior to Thursday’s game when asked about playing time where he said “we kind of balance it out”. Sounds like something he’s done for years, nothing new.

honestly even that's changing - lots of starters dont play at all in preseason and there's starting to be a trend where players play similar amounts in week 2 and week 3 and then get shut down before week 1 - its true that we'll see more starters for longer than we did in preseason week 1 and maybe week 2 but not by much - with the 2 joint practices, the games themselves are ultimately not really that useful anymore

Tank

Hall of Famer
honestly even that's changing - lots of starters dont play at all in preseason and there's starting to be a trend where players play similar amounts in week 2 and week 3 and then get shut down before week 1 - its true that we'll see more starters for longer than we did in preseason week 1 and maybe week 2 but not by much - with the 2 joint practices, the games themselves are ultimately not really that useful anymore
Yes, again nothing new. The league has been more cautious for a few years, but especially the Ravens as they looked for a remedy to the streak of seasons with players falling to season ending injuries.

It looked like the league might move to 2 PS games, but I think coaches were ultimately against it thinking they wouldn’t have enough game time to evaluate new players.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Yes, again nothing new. The league has been more cautious for a few years, but especially the Ravens as they looked for a remedy to the streak of seasons with players falling to season ending injuries.

It looked like the league might move to 2 PS games, but I think coaches were ultimately against it thinking they wouldn’t have enough game time to evaluate new players.

honestly i think 2 preseason games is plenty as long as they can potentially do joint practices that dont involve games a the end...