• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Training Camp and the Preseason

purp

Practice Squad
Unfortunately yes, but tbh Hurst is a terrible Tackle and a below average guard. I don't care how many positions he can play if it is that bad. Our seasons is over as soon as one tackle goes down.

I think this is a bit of an overstatement. I have faith in Roman to scheme around any potential weaknesses on the line.

I like what I saw from him vs Packers.
Alaka though, not Alako.
At least I didn't call him "Alaska" lol

I really think ILB is a sticky issue when it comes to finalizing the roster. I can't see us only going 3, unless we think that we have someone who is listed as OLB who can be moved inside, or we really think Alaka is worthy of a roster spot. I have to think we are closely monitoring other team's and cuts to see if we add an ILB who may be worthy of keeping.

Expect that Board will not play tonight, so Alaka is going to be on the field a lot, I suspect. Probably one of the most closely looked at players on the field for tonight's game.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer

I really think ILB is a sticky issue when it comes to finalizing the roster. I can't see us only going 3, unless we think that we have someone who is listed as OLB who can be moved inside, or we really think Alaka is worthy of a roster spot. I have to think we are closely monitoring other team's and cuts to see if we add an ILB who may be worthy of keeping.

Expect that Board will not play tonight, so Alaka is going to be on the field a lot, I suspect. Probably one of the most closely looked at players on the field for tonight's game.
Agree, we are very thin at ILB position and I'd like to see more depth there.
Veteran signing, Alaka if they think he's that good, it doesn't matter. Just don't want to resort to too many dime looks with Levine/Jefferson or, worse, to again trying with OLB moved in.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor

I mean why would more then 3 dress on Sundays and if more then 3 won't dress then he is only worth a roster spot if you don't think you can store him on the PS (or he is a mid round pick you are developing)

rossihunter2

Staff Member
how many safety/CB's do you have us keeping?
You think if Mekari makes it, Bozeman is released? So 8 OL? which 8 if you are guessing?
IThough it flies in the face of what Harbaugh might value....is there a chance in your mind that DeCosta might opt to release Hurst?
Stanley
Bozeman
Yanda
Elumenor
Brown
Skura
Mekari
Powers
(Senat to PS)

i could definitely see us potentially keep 9 - but yeah if one guy were to surprisingly miss out to mekari at this point i would think it might be bozeman just based off what we've been hearing about him this preseason - the reason we might keep 9 is if eluemunor's injury lingers as an issue

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I just have a hard time believing that we would cut Dixon and let some team pick him up for absolutely nothing. Aside from the injuries, Dixon has shown how much talent he has when he's on the field and I'm sure more than a few teams are salivating at the thought of Dixon getting released. I have no problem with keeping just 3 backs, but I'm going to be sorely disappointed if we don't trade Dixon in that scenario.

dixon has more value to us than any other team at this point but its a straight numbers game and he has no contractual value that we could use or trade with - he's got 1 year left of control, doesnt play special teams (which is crucial as the 4th rb) and cant be trusted to stay available - doesnt really matter how much talent hes got if thats the case - id like us to keep him but i think the numbers dont work for him

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
So here are just some of my takes on the ravens in general. For some reason, I seem to see things a little differently than others, but I love real discussion so tell me if you think I'm wrong and why.

Lamar Jackson looks a much improved player and I have extremely high hopes for him. I think he's got a chance to put up the same number of yards as Flacco next year. I'm including his rushing in that.

I think it's hard for Kenneth Dixon to make this team. I think Justice Hill has his spot.

I think Pat Ricard is a lock.

I think Mark Andrews has real fantasy football potential. I think Hayden Hurst will be underwhelming.

I think the Oline will be passable but leave a lot to be desired.

I am really excited about Jaleel Scott and very worried about Boykin. Here's where I know I'm going to get pushed back. These two guys have similar builds and speed. However, Scott has been given far less opportunity thus far but hasn't dropped catchable balls and has made a big impact. Boykin looks the lart has dropped the ball almost as much as he's caught it. I don't know why Jaleel hasn't been given more opportunity. Hollywood looks like he can catch literally everything. He will not be a perriman 2.0.

The defense as a whole looks pretty good. I think Peanut has really taken a step forward. Maurice Canaday is not a NFL quality corner. I keep hearing that people like Averett, however I think he's looked terrible against backups. Every receiver always has a step on him. Deshon Elliot looks extremely fast.

Also, I just remembered him. I don't believe Trace McSorley is even remotely good enough to be put in the conversation of should he or RG3 come in the game if need be. Not trying to be a hater but that guy would get eaten alive by a good first team defense. He stares down receivers like it's his job. His passes are the majority of the time, in accurate, and worst of all he doesn't throw a easily catchable ball. It was so obvious in person to me today. Watch a lot of his throws at the beginning of the game, they're either hobbled or dropped. Don't have a lot of faith in him.

I do however have a lot of faith in this team and think we go 10-6 or 11-5.

Also, I just remembered him. I don't believe Trace McSorley is even remotely good enough to be put in the conversation of should he or RG3 come in the game if need be. Not trying to be a hater but that guy would get eaten alive by a good first team defense. He stares down receivers like it's his job. His passes are the majority of the time, in accurate, and worst of all he doesn't throw a easily catchable ball. It was so obvious in person to me today. Watch a lot of his throws at the beginning of the game, they're either hobbled or dropped. Don't have a lot of faith in him.

Not sure if you watched the game last night but McSorely played against a good first team D in the 1st half. They went to halftime with a 26-0 lead. He had 2 TD passes, 200 yards passing, and no INT’s. He moved the ball well most of three quarters that he played, almost without a running game. He has progressed tremendously since the first preseason game. RGIII has experience but he has reached his ceiling. He is a serviceable backup QB. I would say that McSorely will make this team as ST for now, but don’t be surprised if you see him move up the QB depth chart.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Not sure if you watched the game last night but McSorely played against a good first team D in the 1st half. They went to halftime with a 26-0 lead. He had 2 TD passes, 200 yards passing, and no INT’s. He moved the ball well most of three quarters that he played, almost without a running game. He has progressed tremendously since the first preseason game. RGIII has experience but he has reached his ceiling. He is a serviceable backup QB. I would say that McSorely will make this team as ST for now, but don’t be surprised if you see him move up the QB depth chart.

I did see him yesterday, in person actually. You're absolutely right that he had some pretty good stats, but I saw a guy who on 3 occasions did not put enough zip on the ball and should have been picked off. He also made 2 throws that I don't think he can routinely make. If he can that would be incredible and I'd love it. I saw a guy who had a couple of completely inaccurate passes that led to incompletions and some innacurate passed that led to the receiver juggling the ball. He looks like a 3rd string quarterback to me. That doesn't mean that he can't grow and eventually end up a very good quarterback that we could use as QB2 or trade for a pick. I just believe that right this second RG3 is way ahead of Trace which is unsurprising as Trace has never played a regular season game

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor
I did see him yesterday, in person actually. You're absolutely right that he had some pretty good stats, but I saw a guy who on 3 occasions did not put enough zip on the ball and should have been picked off. He also made 2 throws that I don't think he can routinely make. If he can that would be incredible and I'd love it. I saw a guy who had a couple of completely inaccurate passes that led to incompletions and some innacurate passed that led to the receiver juggling the ball. He looks like a 3rd string quarterback to me. That doesn't mean that he can't grow and eventually end up a very good quarterback that we could use as QB2 or trade for a pick. I just believe that right this second RG3 is way ahead of Trace which is unsurprising as Trace has never played a regular season game

What do you think the odds are he is snapped up if we try to stash him on the practice squad once RGIII is healed? I give the odds 90 %

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
This is my 53 men roster after ps game 3.
QB(3): LJ, RG3, McSorley
RB(4): Ingram, Hill, Edwards, Dixon
TE(3): Andrews, Hurst, Boyle
WR(6): Snead, Brown, Boykin, Scott, Wesley, Moore
OL(8): Stanley, Brown, Yanda, Powers, London, Skura, Hurst, (Mekari, Bozeman or Senat )
DL(6): Williams, Pierce, Wormley, Ricard, Henry, Mack
Edge(5): Judon, Williams, Bowser, McPhee, Ferguson
off-ball LB(5): Onwuasor, Young, Board, Levine, Alaka
CB(6): Smith, Humphrey, Carr, Averett, Canady, Jones
S(4): ET3, Jefferson, Elliott, Clark
S.T.(3): Wolfpack
IR: Marshall, Roberts, Tavon Young

If RG3 was 100% ready for 1st game I'd substitute Trawick or Bethel for McSorley. But as of now I opt for Alaka mainly for s.t purposes. Sieler and Willis haven't been impressive so far and carrying 7 defensive linemen is hard to justify. Ricard has been a pleasant surprise. I would've never thought before ps game 1 that he's almost 100% a lock.

Well there’s no question that RG3 has the edge because of his experience. However, he has mostly been unimpressive when he has played. He peaked early in DC and ever since he blew his knee out he has become one dimensional, and average. His biggest contribution as a raven has been working with Lamar and helping him adjust to the NFL game.

It will be interesting to see what Harbaugh does with McSorely. Roster spot or practice squad, where he could get snatched up by another team.

I mean why would more then 3 dress on Sundays and if more then 3 won't dress then he is only worth a roster spot if you don't think you can store him on the PS (or he is a mid round pick you are developing)
I'm partially gauging this on the fact that we've almost always carried 4 ILB in the past - but of course one was perennial STs guy McClellan. When Board went out with a concussion, it highlighted the fact that we need an option. So my question was how do we plan to fill in if needed? You either 1) put a 4th ILB on the 53 man 2) shift an OLB inside or 3) stash a guy like Alaka on the PS

If you can have someone already on your roster that you can shift inside, that's the best option IMO. I don't think Alaka is going to be viewed as worthy of a roster spot, so I don't think option 1 is viable. I think he'll clear waivers and we may put him on the PS and then we'll have a choice in-season as to whether we bring him up or shift someone inside.

Not sure if you (or anyone else) noticed ... but did Bowser play ILB at some point last night? I thought I saw that he was positioned there, but it is super hard to see who is on the field on my small screen when I'm watching the reddit stream.

OL(8): Stanley, Brown, Yanda, Powers, London, Skura, Hurst, (Mekari, Bozeman or Senat )

If RG3 was 100% ready for 1st game I'd substitute Trawick or Bethel for McSorley. But as of now I opt for Alaka mainly for s.t purposes. Sieler and Willis haven't been impressive so far and carrying 7 defensive linemen is hard to justify. Ricard has been a pleasant surprise. I would've never thought before ps game 1 that he's almost 100% a lock.
RG3 injury and McSorley's performance camp and Pre season make it clear that he needs to be kept. I had him as a virtual lock even before game 3
I put both Bozeman and Mekari on the roster. 9 may be more than usual but I think we carry them
I have us going light on ILB - Alaka to PS and we decide whether to bring him up or shift an OLB inside in case of injury
Roberts to IR is a wrinkle I did not think of ... I have him in and Wesley out (or to PS). Either way - Scott is in
I have Canady out and Justin Bethel in
Everything else lines up

Reactions: cdp

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor

This is good. It wouldn't surprise me if you are spot on. My primary dispute would be with us keeping Dixon. I really like him as a back but I might see us keeping another safety/ST player over him. I might also have a suspicion that Canada will be released and that we might bring in another corner instead.

Reactions: cdp

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
So here are just some of my takes on the ravens in general. For some reason, I seem to see things a little differently than others, but I love real discussion so tell me if you think I'm wrong and why.

Lamar Jackson looks a much improved player and I have extremely high hopes for him. I think he's got a chance to put up the same number of yards as Flacco next year. I'm including his rushing in that.

I think it's hard for Kenneth Dixon to make this team. I think Justice Hill has his spot.

I think Pat Ricard is a lock.

I think Mark Andrews has real fantasy football potential. I think Hayden Hurst will be underwhelming.

I think the Oline will be passable but leave a lot to be desired.

I am really excited about Jaleel Scott and very worried about Boykin. Here's where I know I'm going to get pushed back. These two guys have similar builds and speed. However, Scott has been given far less opportunity thus far but hasn't dropped catchable balls and has made a big impact. Boykin looks the lart has dropped the ball almost as much as he's caught it. I don't know why Jaleel hasn't been given more opportunity. Hollywood looks like he can catch literally everything. He will not be a perriman 2.0.

The defense as a whole looks pretty good. I think Peanut has really taken a step forward. Maurice Canaday is not a NFL quality corner. I keep hearing that people like Averett, however I think he's looked terrible against backups. Every receiver always has a step on him. Deshon Elliot looks extremely fast.

I do agree with you but i also think rg3 is terrible.
I can see us winning anywhere from 6-10 games.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
What do you think the odds are he is snapped up if we try to stash him on the practice squad once RGIII is healed? I give the odds 90 %

I probably agree. It's kind of an annoyingly good problem to have. He's more than likely good enough to be the number 2 on some teams, he's just unfortunately probably only good enough to be a number 3 here. We could lose him for sure.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
I probably agree. It's kind of an annoyingly good problem to have. He's more than likely good enough to be the number 2 on some teams, he's just unfortunately probably only good enough to be a number 3 here. We could lose him for sure.
I don't know what the fascination with RGIII is. He's been around, yes but what has he done since the injury?
If Lamar can't play, our odds of winning with either Rob or McSorley are virtually the same and pretty bleak. Give the young guy a chance.

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
This is good. It wouldn't surprise me if you are spot on. My primary dispute would be with us keeping Dixon. I really like him as a back but I might see us keeping another safety/ST player over him. I might also have a suspicion that Canada will be released and that we might bring in another corner instead.
Who do you have in mind (trade or after roster cuts?)

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
RG3 injury and McSorley's performance camp and Pre season make it clear that he needs to be kept. I had him as a virtual lock even before game 3
I put both Bozeman and Mekari on the roster. 9 may be more than usual but I think we carry them
I have us going light on ILB - Alaka to PS and we decide whether to bring him up or shift an OLB inside in case of injury
Roberts to IR is a wrinkle I did not think of ... I have him in and Wesley out (or to PS). Either way - Scott is in
I have Canady out and Justin Bethel in
Everything else lines up
Yeah I'm with you if Roberts makes the roster to cut Wesley. I hope the Eagles cut one of their OLs. They had some impressive backups who could easily be starters