• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Training Camp and the Preseason

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
The 3rd clip where he just hit the boosties. Lordy lord

https://twitter.com/baldynfl/status/1164947220065636352?s=21
Sweet mother of dick that’s Paul walker fast.

I said that Hollywood looks like maybe the fastest player I’ve ever seen, and I said this before we drafted him and before I got on the hype train. John Ross ran the fastest 40 of combine history but brown looks significantly faster than Ross looked on tape at any point. That was Sidney Jones he was facing, not some scrub, very fluid and fundamentally strong corner, and he never had a chance.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
To be fair, I’m sure people thought the same about St. Nick Foles.
Nick foles was a proven capable starter in this league and frankly it shouldn’t surprise anyone to see foles go on a 3 game tear, he’s went on longer hot streaks than that before. Mcsorley doesn’t have the arm talent to be on that level lol

If our season is on the line and Lamar goes down for 2 games and we have to win 1 of 2 to stay in the race. You want mcsorley over bob? If Lamar goes down for the year the season is a wash, this team runs on him. But if it’s a 2-3 game stretch that we need a filler in, I don’t trust mcsorley and his small frame, his happy feet, and wildly inconsistent arm. I’d rather see bob tuck and run after his first read and plow head first into a NT than see mcsorley throw another yard comeback 3 yards out of the receivers reach for an easy pick. Rg3 may be a lot of things, but a wildly inaccurate passer is not one of them. Reads are iffy, run style is foolish, but he can at least sling it when the offense is simplified and the receivers are schemed open, and he still has track speed and is a much bigger threat in the zone read than mcsorley is. Every weakness of rg3 is a weakness of mcsorley but even more glaring, and rg3 does many things better than mcsorley and at least has shown multiple years of nfl experience with a touch of success in there.

We did this with woodrum at one point too mind you. We ravens fans always do this with the guy who gets us excited in the second half of a preseason game or two

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Sweet mother of dick that’s Paul walker fast.

I said that Hollywood looks like maybe the fastest player I’ve ever seen, and I said this before we drafted him and before I got on the hype train. John Ross ran the fastest 40 of combine history but brown looks significantly faster than Ross looked on tape at any point. That was Sidney Jones he was facing, not some scrub, very fluid and fundamentally strong corner, and he never had a chance.

Hollywood is fast af. I def think he is top 5 fastest. Hill, goodwin, ross and maybe donte jackson?

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
What backup in the league is winning us a super bowl...
Nick_Foles_3_large.jpg

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Not even gonna lie to yall ..rg3 is terrible lol. This is start to get like the ryan mallet saga where people actually thought he was a good qb.

Not even gonna lie to yall ..rg3 is terrible lol. This is start to get like the ryan mallet saga where people actually thought he was a good qb.

True story, lol. The difference though is that with mallet there were people who thought he should replace Flacco.lol. We’re talking about the #2 spot here, and I still think RG3 is the guy because of his experience. I also think that McSorely has played well enough to at least want to see more.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
I watched multiple bad penn st games. And no I’m not particularly hard on him, I rather enjoy watching him, he’s made preseason more fun than it ever was before Lamar came.

Just being real. What has mcsorley done to make us reasonably think he could fill in better than rg3 in case of an injury? I was not bobs biggest fan, and I don’t think there’s a backup in the league that can go on a run and win a ring, but if he needs to step in for 3 weeks he could go 2-1 and keep us afloat with this team and playbook, mcsorley as our starter in multiple regular season games is essentially a guaranteed loss.

So Bob can go 2-1 and McSorley will lose every game? Idk I just seen 26 pts put up against a damn good defense and I'm a Penn St fan who has watched him play a lot of great games. Hell you said Bob could run way better than him. No he cannot!! Bob is a shell of himself since his injuries when it comes to running.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
Nick foles was a proven capable starter in this league and frankly it shouldn’t surprise anyone to see foles go on a 3 game tear, he’s went on longer hot streaks than that before. Mcsorley doesn’t have the arm talent to be on that level lol

If our season is on the line and Lamar goes down for 2 games and we have to win 1 of 2 to stay in the race. You want mcsorley over bob? If Lamar goes down for the year the season is a wash, this team runs on him. But if it’s a 2-3 game stretch that we need a filler in, I don’t trust mcsorley and his small frame, his happy feet, and wildly inconsistent arm. I’d rather see bob tuck and run after his first read and plow head first into a NT than see mcsorley throw another yard comeback 3 yards out of the receivers reach for an easy pick. Rg3 may be a lot of things, but a wildly inaccurate passer is not one of them. Reads are iffy, run style is foolish, but he can at least sling it when the offense is simplified and the receivers are schemed open, and he still has track speed and is a much bigger threat in the zone read than mcsorley is. Every weakness of rg3 is a weakness of mcsorley but even more glaring, and rg3 does many things better than mcsorley and at least has shown multiple years of nfl experience with a touch of success in there.

We did this with woodrum at one point too mind you. We ravens fans always do this with the guy who gets us excited in the second half of a preseason game or two
Oh I’m not saying we’re winning a Super Bowl with anyone. I just wanted to say it could happen albeit unlikely.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Hollywood is fast af. I def think he is top 5 fastest. Hill, goodwin, ross and maybe donte jackson?
He looks faster to the eye test than any of them imo. Just eye test, no real quantifying other than comparing how quickly he pulls away compared to others

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
So Bob can go 2-1 and McSorley will lose every game? Idk I just seen 26 pts put up against a damn good defense and I'm a Penn St fan who has watched him play a lot of great games. Hell you said Bob could run way better than him. No he cannot!! Bob is a shell of himself since his injuries when it comes to running.
He put up 26 in a preseason game and the 2 weeks prior he was quite terrible on the field. I’m sorry but when we’re talking about trusting a guy to take the reins for a few weeks, I can’t put my faith in mcsorley, he hasn’t shown it yet, he had a very nice night vs philly don’t get me wrong, but based on the whole body of work he doesn’t make me comfortable with it.

And yes bob can run better than him lol, he’s not the rookie rg3 but he was a world class sprinter just 5 years ago and those legs are well rested, speed fades but doesn’t disappear, if the defense bites on an option and bob keeps it he’s gonna do a lot more damage with that open field than trace could, I guarantee that bob would dust trace’s boots in a foot race with ease.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
You always bring this up but I don’t recall many people calling for mallett to start...

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
He put up 26 in a preseason game and the 2 weeks prior he was quite terrible on the field. I’m sorry but when we’re talking about trusting a guy to take the reins for a few weeks, I can’t put my faith in mcsorley, he hasn’t shown it yet, he had a very nice night vs philly don’t get me wrong, but based on the whole body of work he doesn’t make me comfortable with it.

And yes bob can run better than him lol, he’s not the rookie rg3 but he was a world class sprinter just 5 years ago and those legs are well rested, speed fades but doesn’t disappear, if the defense bites on an option and bob keeps it he’s gonna do a lot more damage with that open field than trace could, I guarantee that bob would dust trace’s boots in a foot race with ease.

I remember they completely took out option plays when Bob was in the game last year. I'll give you Bob is a better passer as it stands now but runningwise I just cant buy it.

You always bring this up but I don’t recall many people calling for mallett to start...

I do remember posters wanting Mallet to start. Not many tho.

Bob is soft. I just hope he can play a 60 minute game without getting hurt, if needed. Since his rookie year the injuries have piled up. He’s a shell of what he was then. He was released by the Cleveland Browns for cripes sake. How good can he be? Lol

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
This board is extremely split on the RG3 McSorley thing. But what I don't understand is why no one is putting their opinion in a rational context. Are they both good enough to handle responsibilities if Lamar is out one game, sure. What about 2 or 3 probably. They both belong in the NFL. However I believe it is intuitively obvious that the veteran, who has been in the system for 2 years, who's played in the playoffs, who was a former first round pick and before he got hurt showed why he deserved to be is more likely than not to win you more games at the Helm as opposed to McSorley. I think McSorley has played about 10x better than I though he was going to, but unfortunately he's likely a Josh Woodrum for at least the moment. He's not a number 1 and he's probably on the number 2 number 3 line depending on the team. No team can go far with their back up. Most teams can't go far with their starter. It's unbelievable to me how people can think that a 6th round pick who legitimately everyone was upset we drafted and called a gimmick player is now all of a sudden better than RG3. And all of this because he came in and threw like 2 touchdowns and 2 interceptions against primarily backups? I'll take RG3 100 out of 100 times.

I'm sure about a month ago all the talk was about how good our backup QB situation was with RG3. Maybe different posters returned since then, but I'm not putting all my faith in a 6th round rookie just for playing well in the preseason against backups.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
This board is extremely split on the RG3 McSorley thing. But what I don't understand is why no one is putting their opinion in a rational context. Are they both good enough to handle responsibilities if Lamar is out one game, sure. What about 2 or 3 probably. They both belong in the NFL. However I believe it is intuitively obvious that the veteran, who has been in the system for 2 years, who's played in the playoffs, who was a former first round pick and before he got hurt showed why he deserved to be is more likely than not to win you more games at the Helm as opposed to McSorley. I think McSorley has played about 10x better than I though he was going to, but unfortunately he's likely a Josh Woodrum for at least the moment. He's not a number 1 and he's probably on the number 2 number 3 line depending on the team. No team can go far with their back up. Most teams can't go far with their starter. It's unbelievable to me how people can think that a 6th round pick who legitimately everyone was upset we drafted and called a gimmick player is now all of a sudden better than RG3. And all of this because he came in and threw like 2 touchdowns and 2 interceptions against primarily backups? I'll take RG3 100 out of 100 times.
*smacks table* THANK YOU

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I remember they completely took out option plays when Bob was in the game last year. I'll give you Bob is a better passer as it stands now but runningwise I just cant buy it.

I do remember posters wanting Mallet to start. Not many tho.
I do t count folks like rayrayraven and Danny d and Winchester