• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Training Camp and the Preseason

rossihunter2

Staff Member
That would have been 2 years ago in his rookie year, so there is the potential for improvement. I'm talking about only using him inside in a pinch, with the alternative being picking up someone no better than what Bowser may be if moved inside, but taking a roster spot.

in a pinch we've got our dime-backers if we get lots of injuries on game-days who can step in at the position and we can always elevate a guy from the practice squad as cover if injuries start piling up

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
I'm being completely serious when I ask this. Are Carl Davis and Seth Roberts still in this team. I feel like I haven't seen either of them for even a single snap this preseason

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
I'm being completely serious when I ask this. Are Carl Davis and Seth Roberts still in this team. I feel like I haven't seen either of them for even a single snap this preseason
Carl Davis signed with the Browns, but Seth Roberts is still with the team (could've fooled me).

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Carl Davis signed with the Browns, but Seth Roberts is still with the team (could've fooled me).

Woah. How did I miss that. We cut him? Also do we think that Roberts is such a lock he wasn't getting played like Ingram or was he hurt/ definitely under performing?

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Woah. How did I miss that. We cut him? Also do we think that Roberts is such a lock he wasn't getting played like Ingram or was he hurt/ definitely under performing?
We cut Davis last year, Browns claimed him off waivers. Even played in few games for them.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
So Bob can go 2-1 and McSorley will lose every game? Idk I just seen 26 pts put up against a damn good defense and I'm a Penn St fan who has watched him play a lot of great games. Hell you said Bob could run way better than him. No he cannot!! Bob is a shell of himself since his injuries when it comes to running.
RG3 was never quick, he was always more of a straight line fast. Sure he had some quickness to him playing in the skins scheme, but more fast than quick.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
RG3 was never quick, he was always more of a straight line fast. Sure he had some quickness to him playing in the skins scheme, but more fast than quick.
Ok so zone read, the idea is to read the edge defender, if he crashes in then the qb has open field to run.

If mcsorley and bob ran a 40 side by side, bob would still probably beat him by a good .2 seconds, injuries and all. So while mcsorley might be very slightly quicker(because his quicks are just ok), the zone read needs speed first and foremost since you’re working with open field when you keep it. If the edge defender crashes, bob can reach the sticks before trace could.

BaltRavens

Practice Squad
To view the Ravens down south after preseason still looking at the inexpensive Gears.tv streaming service. That seems my best bet because I am not paying the ridiculous NFL Ticket.

A1A

Veteran
Nick foles was a proven capable starter in this league and frankly it shouldn’t surprise anyone to see foles go on a 3 game tear, he’s went on longer hot streaks than that before. Mcsorley doesn’t have the arm talent to be on that level lol

If our season is on the line and Lamar goes down for 2 games and we have to win 1 of 2 to stay in the race. You want mcsorley over bob? If Lamar goes down for the year the season is a wash, this team runs on him. But if it’s a 2-3 game stretch that we need a filler in, I don’t trust mcsorley and his small frame, his happy feet, and wildly inconsistent arm. I’d rather see bob tuck and run after his first read and plow head first into a NT than see mcsorley throw another yard comeback 3 yards out of the receivers reach for an easy pick. Rg3 may be a lot of things, but a wildly inaccurate passer is not one of them. Reads are iffy, run style is foolish, but he can at least sling it when the offense is simplified and the receivers are schemed open, and he still has track speed and is a much bigger threat in the zone read than mcsorley is. Every weakness of rg3 is a weakness of mcsorley but even more glaring, and rg3 does many things better than mcsorley and at least has shown multiple years of nfl experience with a touch of success in there.

We did this with woodrum at one point too mind you. We ravens fans always do this with the guy who gets us excited in the second half of a preseason game or two

Lol um no RG3 ain't doing nothing but a series then throws a pick in the redzone or fumbles...get hurt and out comes McSorley who btw looks pretty good and might have some Romo magic.

I’d rather keep 3 QB as insurance than cut one or trade one away. After this year we can begin to entertain the idea of parting with one, but I think it’s premature right now. OL isn’t good enough to test fate.
Ok so zone read, the idea is to read the edge defender, if he crashes in then the qb has open field to run.

If mcsorley and bob ran a 40 side by side, bob would still probably beat him by a good .2 seconds, injuries and all. So while mcsorley might be very slightly quicker(because his quicks are just ok), the zone read needs speed first and foremost since you’re working with open field when you keep it. If the edge defender crashes, bob can reach the sticks before trace could.

No one should be under the illusion that bob or McSorely are going to be dual threat QB’s. Can they run the RPO? Sure, but the “R” piece of the equation will be lacking. I doubt that Roman is going to ask bob to relive his youth. If it were McSorely you’ll probably see a more traditional offense.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
No one should be under the illusion that bob or McSorely are going to be dual threat QB’s. Can they run the RPO? Sure, but the “R” piece of the equation will be lacking. I doubt that Roman is going to ask bob to relive his youth. If it were McSorely you’ll probably see a more traditional offense.
Zone read/RPO doesn’t have to feature the QB as the primary run threat, it can be a wrinkle and nothing more, unless Lamar Jackson or tyrod Taylor is your qb then the whole point of the RPO is to maintain that threat which opens inside lanes and sucks up the LBs, the only time the qb should keep is when the options are eliminated, and even that doesn’t have to be a keeper and can be something like a TE hitting the flat easily with the Sam crashed in, so when the edge crashes inside the qb has a free run, one keeper and the lanes are open again for the options.

The eagles just won a super bowl 2 years ago with nick foles running an RPO and nobody would confuse foles for a running qb, it’s just the illusion.

Also, if we run a traditional drop back passing offense with bob or trace it will be garbage, it won’t work, on top of the fact that Roman doesn’t cal traditional offenses.

Last edited:
Zone read/RPO doesn’t have to feature the QB as the primary run threat, it can be a wrinkle and nothing more, unless Lamar Jackson or tyrod Taylor is your qb then the whole point of the RPO is to maintain that threat which opens inside lanes and sucks up the LBs, the only time the qb should keep is when the options are eliminated, so when the edge crashes inside the qb has a free run, one keeper and the lanes are open again for the options.

The eagles just won a super bowl 2 years ago with nick foles running an RPO and nobody would confuse foles for a running qb, it’s just the illusion.

Also, if we run a traditional drop back passing offense with bob or trace it will be garbage, it won’t work, on top of the fact that Roman doesn’t cal traditional offenses.

My point is that the RPO won’t be as effective without Lamar. Lamar adds the threat that he can score any time he runs the ball. Defenses are adjusting to the RPO and without that added threat we will become predictable and less effective. So as one poster noted in an earlier thread, without Lamar we’re screwed.

Nurps

Ravens Ring of Honor
To view the Ravens down south after preseason still looking at the inexpensive Gears.tv streaming service. That seems my best bet because I am not paying the ridiculous NFL Ticket.

Search "reddit nfl streams" on gameday. Free and usually really good quality. I would use a VPN to mask your real IP address though.

EDIT - WOW @ Gears TV. Has anyone had any experience with them?

Last edited:

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
My point is that the RPO won’t be as effective without Lamar. Lamar adds the threat that he can score any time he runs the ball. Defenses are adjusting to the RPO and without that added threat we will become predictable and less effective. So as one poster noted in an earlier thread, without Lamar we’re screwed.
We aren’t the only team that runs an RPO though and it can still be effective. The ravens RPO with Lamar Jackson is a RPO on steroids, we have the threat of all the options, but an added dimension of the qb being the most dangerous threat because he can work any gap as well as a RB and is more explosive than anyone.

It would still be a toned down RPO where you do the traditional qb keeper to the edge or TE flat if the edge defender loses discipline. Literally the only difference would be less keepers and the qb only threatening the edge rather than the whole front

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
I think regardless of who it is they’ll try to make the offense work, but I also think we keep all three. I think we’ll see a type of RPO with those other guys but I agree that it will be scaled back.

BaltRavens

Practice Squad
Search "reddit nfl streams" on gameday. Free and usually really good quality. I would use a VPN to mask your real IP address though.

EDIT - WOW @ Gears TV. Has anyone had any experience with them?

My source is still going to provide me an official website or link for Gears since there are so many scams listed and they are under new ownership since last year.