• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Training Camp and the Preseason

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
I honestly think we have a top 3 defense and the offense will improve. Maybe somewhere are 16th best. The only thing I feel strongly about is that the offensive lion is going to cause untimely fumbles and interceptions that cause us to lose games. Unfortunately games where we'll reflect and say there's no reason we should've lost that game.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
I honestly think we have a top 3 defense and the offense will improve. Maybe somewhere are 16th best. The only thing I feel strongly about is that the offensive lion is going to cause untimely fumbles and interceptions that cause us to lose games. Unfortunately games where we'll reflect and say there's no reason we should've lost that game.
Idk about top 3.. our front 7 is too unproven.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
Idk about top 3.. our front 7 is too unproven.

Other then Mosley, from a talent perspective its the same as last year. I love Suggs, but his skills as a push rusher are not what they were and McPhee should replicate him easily enough.

So overall the number 1 defense is only worse at MLB and better at S so overall a wash.

I think by how offenses are ranked though Ravens will be low 20s in terms of total offense (read:yards).

BaltRavens

Practice Squad
I think we will be O.K. this upcoming season especially if Lamar Jackson doesn't falter. Defense should not drop off that much with the additions we brought in on that unit. That means Thomas should solidify as Wink guides our D all throughout the year.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
Ok so I’m not the only one who feels this way. It’s almost kinda disappointing isn’t it?
Honestly? Not really. I actually appreciated the difference for whatever reason lol. But it's nice to hear irrational fans in the stadium act all emotional when things don't go well.

Can't remember if it was Hensley or Zriebec on Twitter, but they said it was more about Board becoming consistent than Young regressing.
It was Zrebiec. It's like this Chris Board just spring boarded out of nowhere similar to Orr's ascendance.

A1A

Veteran
When The Ravens drafted Jimmy Smith in 2011 they had Ladarius Webb, Cary Williams, Chris Carr,Dominque Foxworth and etc already on the roster. Cary Williams earn the number 2 cornerback position and Ladarius Webb was at his best in 2011 which was like shutdown cornerback level that year. Chris Carr was The Ravens best nickel corner and Jimmy Smith couldn't play nickel corner. Can't for get at that time even though Foxworth never panned out he was still a guy The Ravens gave a big contract to during that time so of course that left Jimmy Smith being 5th on the depth chart during their week 1 match up against The Steelers. So yeah he had to play on special teams but that's still a bit different to The Ravens wide receiver situation currently now.

Webb was never our #1 he was the slot db. Carr was #4

Last edited:

cobrajet

Hall of Famer
Other then Mosley, from a talent perspective its the same as last year. I love Suggs, but his skills as a push rusher are not what they were and McPhee should replicate him easily enough.

So overall the number 1 defense is only worse at MLB and better at S so overall a wash.

I think by how offenses are ranked though Ravens will be low 20s in terms of total offense (read:yards).
I don't see why we would not be even better than last year. Weddle was a complete liability, Mosley struggled at times covering and Suggs definitely lost a step, although I liked what he brought motivating our guys. Earl Thomas is a top safety, which is a big boost to our defense.

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
I don't see why we would not be even better than last year. Weddle was a complete liability, Mosley struggled at times covering and Suggs definitely lost a step, although I liked what he brought motivating our guys. Earl Thomas is a top safety, which is a big boost to our defense.
Agree we lost "smarts and instincts" but we have now better athletes on the field.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer

So what makes you think mcphee can replicate andything that suggs can do? What has mcphee done that shows he is capable of even putting up half of what suggs have done?

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Well to be fair, we had a top 3 defense with an "eh" pass rush (Titans game notwithstanding).
Yea but who are gonna count on now? Our whole front 7 is either unproven or inconsisent.. im not saying we cant be a top 3 defense but thats not something id bet on.

Yea but who are gonna count on now? Our whole front 7 is either unproven or inconsisent.. im not saying we cant be a top 3 defense but thats not something id bet on.

To me the question is how we cope at linebacker. The D-line is probably better this year with Henry healthy and lots of positive noise about Willis. At OLB, Judon this year should be better than last year, and I'm fairly confident that Suggs' and ZDS' production can be reproduced by some combo of McPhee/Williams/Ferguson/Ray in Wink's scheme. So the main question is who takes over for CJ, and according to Zriebec, Board is looking good enough that he's not worried about the position now.

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
To me the question is how we cope at linebacker. The D-line is probably better this year with Henry healthy and lots of positive noise about Willis. At OLB, Judon this year should be better than last year, and I'm fairly confident that Suggs' and ZDS' production can be reproduced by some combo of McPhee/Williams/Ferguson/Ray in Wink's scheme. So the main question is who takes over for CJ, and according to Zriebec, Board is looking good enough that he's not worried about the position now.
OL is still my nr 1 worry.The Jaguars are actually a good test to find out more about the state of our OL.

purp

Practice Squad
Honestly? Not really. I actually appreciated the difference for whatever reason lol. But it's nice to hear irrational fans in the stadium act all emotional when things don't go well.

It was Zrebiec. It's like this Chris Board just spring boarded out of nowhere similar to Orr's ascendance.

Re: Board

I think it’s underrated how much having Zach Orr on the coaching staff helps this team. Mike McDonald was talking about how he acts as the team liaison with locker room. He must be great for guys like Chris Board in telling them exactly what they have to do to make it.

With Board it looks like it was two things, professional strength and conditioning combined with absolute domination of the playbook. To me it sounds like he has the edge of Young both in terms of speed and awareness in coverage. You love to see it.

redrum52

Hall of Famer

Pass rush has been inconsistent since 14. We haven't been able to rely on a guy for years to get pressure regularly which is why I feel people aren't that concerned with it now. There cant be that much more of a drop off and if anything our run d is probably what takes a bigger hit. I have more faith in our current group to get after the qb than last years if Timmy actually gets some burn.

Icy

Practice Squad
I’m really curious to see if we get any positive reports about Jaylon Ferguson, coming out of joint practices with the Jags.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
Re: Board

I think it’s underrated how much having Zach Orr on the coaching staff helps this team. Mike McDonald was talking about how he acts as the team liaison with locker room. He must be great for guys like Chris Board in telling them exactly what they have to do to make it.

With Board it looks like it was two things, professional strength and conditioning combined with absolute domination of the playbook. To me it sounds like he has the edge of Young both in terms of speed and awareness in coverage. You love to see it.
For a brief moment, I forgot Orr was on the coaching staff but thanks for that reminder. I'm looking forward to see how his speed translates to preseason because there may be a chance he could roll with the 1s in our first preseason game. My expectations for Young is still relatively low, but I need to some progression from him because he wasn't too shabby overall.

Wouldn't that be amazing if Chris Board could rise to starter status in the same way Orr did in 2016. I think the streak of undrafted free agents becoming contributors would continue, wouldn't it?