• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Next Up: @ Dolphins

How many sacks do the ravens get @ Miami

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
The big one I remember was that Bengals game where he dropped a pick 6 into the hands of the defender but then again he also saved the game earlier with his return to the 5 when offense was doing NOTHING all game.
So then he was ultimately responsible for 0 points. It’s a wash.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
no one is saying he isn't a monster on special teams. That's his job.

I also believe he will have a good year this enough, enough to get a decent contract from another team in free agency

I know I use different stats then a lot of people and I am not trying to sell the stats I use (like how I really dont care about the YPC of a RB when I care far more about yards after contact provided yards before contact are over a certain number), but I am not cherry picking stats to make him look good. Its just that the stats I like suggest he should be doing far more then he is if he is given more touches. Everything I have seen of him shows he is playing very well at the NFL level against NFL players and that counts more to me then college tape.

Basically I expected Hollywood to have the role I expect Boykin to have but now Boykin has taken that spot and I just wonder where the extra snaps are available.

Last edited:

purp

Practice Squad
If you throw to Chris Moore the ball is complete 70% of the time for over 10 yards per catch (aka first down yardage) against NFL players.

Scott showed something against NFL players even if it is preseason and is beating Ravens defenders in practice (which almost is more telling).

To definitively even say Hollywood will be better is pure conjecture. Its probably true but he has no NFL game snaps so its pure conjuring (same with Scott). I would bet money on Hollywood being better because I think he has elite potential, but the others showed stuff right now. To me great performance in the now beats maybe better performance.

Then again it is the Dolphins so maybe its a decent tune up game for all the rookies.

Please never invest in the stock market.

Anyway, it’s a matter of strategy. A few notes:

-Seth Roberts is primarily a slot receiver so the idea that Willie Snead is the only slot is ridiculous
-Chris Moore has also done some of his best work out of the slot
-Hollywood Brown brings speed to the field that changes the defense. The only other receiver on this team with that kind of potential is Boykin.
-So your point is that Hollywood Brown has no NFL game snaps so he should be the 6th receiver, and he doesn’t play Teams, so he shouldn’t dress and therefore proceed to get no NFL game snaps? For someone that wants to accuse others of logical fallacies...that’s quite a doozy.

purp

Practice Squad
I know I use different stats then a lot of people and I am not trying to sell the stats I use (like how I really dont care about the YPC of a RB when I care far more about yards after contact provided yards before contact are over a certain number), but I am not cherry picking stats to make him look good. Its just that the stats I like suggest he should be doing far more then he is if he is given more touches. Everything I have seen of him shows he is playing very well at the NFL level against NFL players and that counts more to me then college tape.

Basically I expected Hollywood to have the role I expect Boykin to have but now Boykin has taken that spot and I just wonder where the extra snaps are available.

I take your point and frankly agree to a certain extent regarding Moore’s opportunities but I have to ask, given that he’s been in the field quite a bit...do you think Moore is actively not being thrown to or is it not possible that he makes plays when he’s open...but is not open as often as you would like?

Either way I’m excited to leave the era where we’re making excuses for guys like more and have receivers like Boykin and Hollywood (assuming they play to their potential) where the results simply speak for themselves. If it takes advanced stats to make the point...it’s probably not a very strong point.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I made my weekly preview for the Baltimore Ravens at Miami Dolphins ahead of Sundays game. It's a bit of a long one, but I am just beyond excited for Ravens football to have returned.

Please give it a read and let me know if the pictures are doing anything for you.

https://purpleflock.com/threads/1083/

the pictures are nice - some are a bit too low definition to be able to read (like the fitzmagic cycle chart) but the article was a nice read - glad to have you back

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
the pictures are nice - some are a bit too low definition to be able to read (like the fitzmagic cycle chart) but the article was a nice read - glad to have you back
I didn't realize you couldn't click them to expand them... that's disappointing, but I'll make note of it in the future. I was trying to keep them all a similar size so as to not have any crazy size disparities, but I'll just have to do them at home and format them all to be one larger, consistent size.

ALI624

Pro Bowler
Harbs says Hollywood will play and didn’t have a setback.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
I take your point and frankly agree to a certain extent regarding Moore’s opportunities but I have to ask, given that he’s been in the field quite a bit...do you think Moore is actively not being thrown to or is it not possible that he makes plays when he’s open...but is not open as often as you would like?

Either way I’m excited to leave the era where we’re making excuses for guys like more and have receivers like Boykin and Hollywood (assuming they play to their potential) where the results simply speak for themselves. If it takes advanced stats to make the point...it’s probably not a very strong point.

As the fourth WR he wasn't getting a lot of snaps and when he was he generally wasn't the primary or secondary option on a play and if your first or second read is open you go there instantly.

Watching the offense drove me insane because it was 1 read then checkdown so if the other 2 get open it doesn't matter

rossihunter2

Staff Member
As the fourth WR he wasn't getting a lot of snaps and when he was he generally wasn't the primary or secondary option on a play and if your first or second read is open you go there instantly.

Watching the offense drove me insane because it was 1 read then checkdown so if the other 2 get open it doesn't matter

he also wasnt the primary or secondary read because he wasnt consistently getting open on those quick read type throws without having space manufactured for him - now there's more of a chance of that space being created with him as the motion-man in a lamar led offence but he's going to have to fight for that role with hollywood

for what its worth this is per zrebiec today reporting on harbs presser:

"Harbaugh said that Marquise Brown had no setbacks and will play Sunday."

purp

Practice Squad

So...he was the 4th receiver because reasons?

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
So...he was the 4th receiver because reasons?

Because Brown was great (pre Lamar I think he was the only piece defenses cared about), you wasted money signing Crabtree who could get open and look good but forgot that you can't get YAC if you can't do that C part. Then in slot you had Snead and also over middle Andrews as a TE option.

I still think Brown ends up with around 40-50 catches for 500-600 yards by years for similar reasons, I just wouldn't suit him up this week because the others have shown they can do it and its the Dolphins so giving him 1-2 more weeks can't hurt.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Because Brown was great (pre Lamar I think he was the only piece defenses cared about), you wasted money signing Crabtree who could get open and look good but forgot that you can't get YAC if you can't do that C part. Then in slot you had Snead and also over middle Andrews as a TE option.

I still think Brown ends up with around 40-50 catches for 500-600 yards by years for similar reasons, I just wouldn't suit him up this week because the others have shown they can do it and its the Dolphins so giving him 1-2 more weeks can't hurt.
This is a pretty good estimate

purp

Practice Squad

Brown as in John Brown? This is exactly what I’m talking about with the lowered expectations we Ravens fans have for wide receivers. John Brown is a 1-tool WR3 in this league. Hollywood runs a more various route tree today than John Brown has at any point in his career.

I’m all for gamesmanship but at some point you line up and play. And your most talented players do the same.