• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Ravens, the Dolphins and the Dolphins

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
it's this surreal moment where there's 5 ravens OL all seemingly waiting for a dolphins DL to do something while they stand guarding their qb and lamar dancing on his feet - in fact stanley even looks at lamar and gestures towards him that there's a massive open running lane he's created by destroying this DL and he wants Lamar to follow him lead-blocking to the left and then sees lamar wind up and just steps back so he can watch the dime happen - while all this is happening lamar literally is just bouncing on the spot - does not have to move an inch
Man, 56 just gave up

rossihunter2

Staff Member
so far id honestly say orlando brown jr had the worst game of any of the ravens starting OL - not a bad game but not a great game either for him

bozeman did well but needs to be better in level 2
skura looked good
yanda looked like yanda
stanley looked great also (albeit had a couple of holding penalties)
Orlando had a very up and down day

rossihunter2

Staff Member
for the last 14 snaps of the game it looks like James Hurst took over at LT for Ronnie Stanley

ooh ive found a bad skura play...
he ends up on his knees when engaged with the DL - not quite sure how - looks like maybe he gets tripped by mekari's leg as mekari gets some push

@RavensMania - mekari clearly not as adept in the running game as he is in the passing game - lacks the push that the other linemen are generating

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I wasn’t watching analytically at all, but from what I noticed, peanut looked like an absolute monster.

Also, I noticed something very strange from our WRs and TEs, they were downfield in bunches a lot on deep balls it seemed, like just throw it and one of our guys will come down with it

rossihunter2

Staff Member
yeah i mean skura's last drive here isnt great - not awful but clearly he's either tired or not giving 100% effort on this final drive - im finding him leaning a little more than he should and not working his hands as well to win leverage - not getting as much push as earlier in the game

you know what it looks like both he and bozeman look a little tired on this drive

actually i take back the lack of effort thing - they both just put their whole bodies into getting drive on one of these plays... maybe just a bit of fatigue then

Orlando with a really nice combo block on this final drive - he basically blocks 2 defenders with 1 arm each

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I wasn’t watching analytically at all, but from what I noticed, peanut looked like an absolute monster.

Also, I noticed something very strange from our WRs and TEs, they were downfield in bunches a lot on deep balls it seemed, like just throw it and one of our guys will come down with it

yeah he was an awesome tone setter

on the rewatch ive noticed that as well - some odd route combos where a couple of receivers are running towards a ball that looks like its to both of the receivers and then on like a 2nd and 13 running no intermediate routes at all - just 4 deep routes that go straight down the field lol

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
Did a Dolphins TE catch a pass at all yesterday? Other from the RBs and Parker, I can't remember another pass-catcher doing anything..................................at all.

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
Did a Dolphins TE catch a pass at all yesterday? Other from the RBs and Parker, I can't remember another pass-catcher doing anything..................................at all.
I think an udfa had a couple plays that led to their touchdown.

purp

Practice Squad
A few things I loved to see:

-Like many others, I also noticed Lamar looking guys off and also the strange phenomenon of multiple receivers being in the area on some plays. I think this has to do with the way Lamar wants to play more than anything. He's on the record saying that if he could throw a bomb every play he would. And he also slipped up a little bit when he talked about Andrews and how he likes him because it's like "street ball." This was evident on the Boykin touchdown too. I think it was a slip up because Andrews didn't really want to talk about it and kind of walked back the statement. These boys are out here playing like they did when they were little kids...in the NFL.

I think the way Lamar is processing the game on any play where he has time is "how do I get a touchdown on this play." So he's not reading the defense 1 through 5 in the progression he's looking for how he creates a mismatch for his guys. He recognizes, then let's the play develop until the guy he wants to break free does (assuming he has time), even late in routes.

That leads to some slow developing big plays but also makes it absolutely mandatory that the pass catchers and the QB are sympatico in how they see the field. On Sunday, we saw Lamar make a couple plays that you just can't coach (and one or two that you wouldn't coach), solely based on chemistry with the receivers.

-The Council is real and everyone balled except Elliot but he didn't get the opportunity. Judon and Peanut are absolute monsters. The speed they both have is crazy. Peanut might have double digit sacks this year from the Mike. I don't know how the hell we're going to afford Judon. Jefferson had one of his best games as a Raven and it was nice to see CoCap get in on the action too. Marlon might've played his way onto The Council today.

-John Harbaugh is an absolute football maniac. He basically told this team, "Those boys don't deserve to be on an NFL field. Go show them why." It was clear that this was a statement game and also an opportunity for the guys to hit the ground running in the stat columns. This roster might be the purest manifestation yet of Harbaugh's vision for a football team and I like what I see so far.

-Did anyone else notice David Culley absolutely lighting Lamar up after the touchdown pass to Ricard? My take was that pass was supposed to go to Andrews, who was open, but Lamar took the easier throw and Culley wasn't happy. I think they wanted to get Andrews a TD on that drive and then take him out and were pissed that they had to put him in for another one to get the TD. They also want Lamar to expect to make the difficult throw routinely.

I like that attitude from Culley. Style points have never been a thing in Baltimore so it's nice to see that we don't just want to win but we want to do it pretty as well.

purp

Practice Squad
Also regarding their secondary play. Minkah Fitzpatrick alluded to it after the game but that gameplan was an absolute dereliction of duty by their HC and DC and also probably a product of the mind games Harbaugh played in the offseason.

They had their safeties rolled up and ran an ungodly number of Cover 0 blitzes because they didn't think Lamar could throw deep. There is no planet where Minkah Fitzpatrick should be trying to cover Hollywood Brown 1-on-1 with no safety help and a 5 yard cushion. Even with no tape on the kid they should've seen how much respect the Eagles gave him in preseason and taken notice. Very poor defensive gameplanning and then complete paralysis when it was clearly not working.

That said, every single match up that didn't involve Xavien Howard as tilted in our favor.