• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Ravens Trade News: Marcus Peters, etc...

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
he becomes a fa at the end of the year and Jacksonville is pretty much up against the cap. In 2020 they have 5m available even after trading Ramsey. They could make some moves by restructuring or cutting Dareus.
I mean, realistically, they have a lot of pretty easy moves they can make to create space, because most of their large contracts don't have much dead money tied to them.

Dareus has a $22.5M cap hit, but only $2.5M in dead money. Cutting Calais Campbell, who is declining and will be 34 next year, frees up $15M. They can clear over $5M by getting rid of Marquise Lee, who is pretty useless to that team at this point.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I mean, realistically, they have a lot of pretty easy moves they can make to create space, because most of their large contracts don't have much dead money tied to them.

Dareus has a $22.5M cap hit, but only $2.5M in dead money. Cutting Calais Campbell, who is declining and will be 34 next year, frees up $15M. They can clear over $5M by getting rid of Marquise Lee, who is pretty useless to that team at this point.
yeah, I don't see Yannick Ngakoue going anywhere as much as I'd like to have him here. I noticed those easy restructures and cuts several weeks ago when I was looking at it. At that point they hadn't started the Ramsey talk and I thought we would have a better chance of keeping him, but even then there would be ways to keep him.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Hes a FA next year and the bucs are going nowhere
they may be going nowhere but they still won't be able to get a boatload of picks for him because he is a free agent. Now if he had a year remaining on the contract that's something else. I think they would be smart and keep him. He was someone I was extremely interested in in for the ravens. Glad I signed him in the forum mock. I paid quite a bit more than the Bucs though.

Fast Eddie

Practice Squad
they may be going nowhere but they still won't be able to get a boatload of picks for him because he is a free agent. Now if he had a year remaining on the contract that's something else. I think they would be smart and keep him. He was someone I was extremely interested in in for the ravens. Glad I signed him in the forum mock. I paid quite a bit more than the Bucs though.

Forum Mock? Is there somewhere I can read about this? Sounds fun.

redrum52

Hall of Famer
he becomes a fa at the end of the year and Jacksonville is pretty much up against the cap. In 2020 they have 5m available even after trading Ramsey. They could make some moves by restructuring or cutting Dareus.

I looked at their cap situation and think with a few cuts they open up around 30+ mil.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
I love this move. Young has arguably been regressing, and while we're sending a 5th, we could easily recoup an even earlier selection in the following draft via a compensatory selection. It either, one, adds a much-needed asset and rounds out our entire secondary that we lock-up after this season, or two, functions as a short-term rental that doesn't hurt our defense in the meantime and is likely to give us a larger return value if the experiment fails.

Peters has Pro-Bowl, even All-Pro talent. When he's on, he's on. However, the one sentiment I'm leery to concur with is the notion that he was hampered by Wade Phillips' scheme. Going back to last season, some of his gaffs in one-on-one situations were almost comical. I can appreciate the confidence to an extent, but there were simply way too many plays on tape where he was lost at the stem so quickly, you'd have the thought he was playing the under with safety help. Here are the ones that I was able to uncover thus far (Link1, Link2, Link3, Link4, Link5, Link6). These are instances of incredibly undisciplined approaches on intended island-esk scenarios. That being said, after a woeful start to last season, he's fared mostly well in general since the second half of 2018, and he may still have untapped potential if the mistakes are eliminated. I am very much looking forward to seeing what he does for us.
Man, those are brutal clips, truth. I think, "undisciplined" is the perfect word. In those clips he looks really unreliable singled up. Lots of him in third coverage in the two or so games from this year that Ive watched.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
Close, but the $9.069M is divided by 17 weeks - players get paid on the Bye Week - so, it's $9.069M x 11/17ths, leaving the Ravens obligated to pay $5.868M for the rest of the season.

This is per Brian McFarland the salary cap guru.

Yep I was just going by games.

redrum52

Hall of Famer

Saw the Campbell hit and figure he's gone. Wouldn't mind him here on a 2 year deal at a reasonable price.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Forum Mock? Is there somewhere I can read about this? Sounds fun.
sign up will open up a couple weeks prior to the super bowl. The sign up gets randomized and you would go into a team draft where you select a team to manage. You then take on that teams salary cap and draft picks and can trade players and cut players and go through free agency with that team.

This is the rules thread from last year

https://www.purpleflock.com/threads/955/

Truth

Staff Member
Administrator

I don't see them moving on from Campbell. He's playing at a borderline elite level this year in my eyes. He's currently leading in the league in disruptions among interior linemen too.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I don't see them moving on from Campbell. He's playing at a borderline elite level this year in my eyes. He's currently leading in the league in disruptions among interior linemen too.
and I notice that on my fantasy team!!!

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Maybe not. But he's just one example. They've got many players on that roster with above average cap hits that aren't playing very well and they could easily get rid of.

I look at it the same as a lot of other teams... while they don't have a stud QB, its not like their QB situation is the detriment of their team at the moment. So clearly, they just don't have good enough players at many other positions in order to compete for a playoff spot.

Last edited:

Truth

Staff Member
Administrator
Man, those are brutal clips, truth. I think, "undisciplined" is the perfect word. In those clips he looks really unreliable singled up. Lots of him in third coverage in the two or so games from this year that Ive watched.
Right!? I wanted to give a clearer description. Either wasted footwork, murky eye-discipline, overcommitting in hip-flipping, shadow trailing instead of taking cut-off angles. But I feel like I saw variations of all of those in some form or fashion. He's his own worst enemy in that respect. If he learns how to properly backpedal and explode off of his backleg only after he establishes a base with his pivot leg, he could be an absolute force.

Truth

Staff Member
Administrator
Maybe not. But he's just one example. They've got many players on that roster with above average cap hits that aren't playing very well and they could easily get rid of.

I look at it the same as a lot of other teams... while they don't have a stud QB, its not like their QB situation is the detriment of their team at the moment. So clearly, they just don't have good enough players at many other positions in order to compete for a playoff spot.
I was solely commenting on Campbell, for what it's worth. To your point, I also feel like Dareus is essentially a goner. Same goes for Lee. Jake Ryan could free up $6 million if the rehab doesn't go according to plan. That's $33 million right there.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Peters has his obvious issues, but what we need to look at is the move. A team that’s competitive doesn’t get much chance at high draft picks, we have players who will need contracts, it’s hard to gain big talent when you’re already winning games, we managed to add a big talent player with game breaking potential to a competitive roster, and we did it for MINIMAL investment. We added a former all pro corner who has had some rough games but in a tough situation(shadowing 1s on an island) for a kicker who’s now unemployed and a fourth round LB who was a healthy scratch for 2 weeks. That’s a power play, we added this player and still have all the same draft capital we walked into this training camp with, and with no notable loss in talent either.

This on top of a shitload of cap space opening up and lots of young talent, things are really looking up.