• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Good, the Ugly and the Crazy @ Chiefs

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Yeah it seems like the secondary woes have little to do with missing pieces and more to do with poor communication. Hopefully ET can pull things together soon or it will be a long season.
CJ Mosely was a huge part of our defense last year and the communication was on point with him. Although I agreed that he wasn't worth the contract he signed, but to say it's little to do with missing pieces and more to do with poor communication. I'd say missing CJ Mosely is causing us to have poor communication and that should be resolved in due time.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
I'm going there: Humphrey/Smith and Ramsey make this defense much more sure of itself against any offense. The pass rush would be a beneficiary and we would likely take it to Mahomes next time. I'll say it again...we could go...THIS YEAR.
the whole team played as if we were prepared to concede a ton of points today. I don't want our defense going in to a game that way against anyone.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
We got out schemed and we never seemed to adjust with anything that might beat man. Or so it seemed at first viewing.
Both Hill and Boykin seem a little unsure to me and it might be that a combo of Moore/Roberts would serves better.

watching these late games around the league just exaggerates the difference - seems like in every game both teams have receivers getting open downfield and making those crazy catches/toe-taps etc.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I'm going there: Humphrey/Smith and Ramsey make this defense much more sure of itself against any offense. The pass rush would be a beneficiary and we would likely take it to Mahomes next time. I'll say it again...we could go...THIS YEAR.
the whole team played as if we were prepared to concede a ton of points today. I don't want our defense going in to a game that way against anyone.

Mahomes had so much time today despite his OL being depleted - they were missing their LT yet they had 3 sacks to our 1

only LB who got any pressure was Judon (who consistently clowned the tackles but also obviously had the penalties)
Mcphee got victimised by screens a couple of times - not reading the blocks in front of him

only noticed Bowser and Timmy once each when they got a pressure each but otherwise basically nothing

saw that Ferguson was in - he lost contain on one snap and then next time i noticed him the chiefs scored an 83 yard td...

Tank

Hall of Famer
CJ Mosely was a huge part of our defense last year and the communication was on point with him. Although I agreed that he wasn't worth the contract he signed, but to say it's little to do with missing pieces and more to do with poor communication. I'd say missing CJ Mosely is causing us to have poor communication and that should be resolved in due time.
My comment was aimed towards missing Smith and Tavon. Mosley had little to do with coordinating the secondary and they were fine when he missed games due to injury.

While Weddle was physically weak his coordination and communication skills were superior. It was instant improvement the minute he stepped on the field for the Ravens and I think everyone assumed the secondary wouldn’t miss a beat with ET replacing him. So far that hasn’t been the case.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
we're 3 players away from being flat-out dominant in all phases:

need a corner - be that Jimmy coming back or someone stepping up or us going out and getting Ramsey...
need a receiver - someone other than Hollywood needs to step up - i think we have to draft someone else in 2020 to add some more talent - boykin doesnt look ready, moore adds nothing, snead will be gone, roberts will be gone, jaleel scott's been inactive
need an interior OL - if lamar can stand in the pocket and step into throws he's borderline unstoppable - not sure where this player comes from - i was positive on skura coming in but not only is he getting beat, his shotgun snaps have left a lot to be desired which is like the minimum we should have expected

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
Mahomes had so much time today despite his OL being depleted - they were missing their LT yet they had 3 sacks to our 1

only LB who got any pressure was Judon (who consistently clowned the tackles but also obviously had the penalties)
Mcphee got victimised by screens a couple of times - not reading the blocks in front of him

only noticed Bowser and Timmy once each when they got a pressure each but otherwise basically nothing

saw that Ferguson was in - he lost contain on one snap and then next time i noticed him the chiefs scored an 83 yard td...
I'm a little worried we are heading down a path where we will have to rely on Lamar to do too much. To have to outscore to win...throw too much and run too much.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
My comment was aimed towards missing Smith and Tavon. Mosley had little to do with coordinating the secondary and they were fine when he missed games due to injury.

While Weddle was physically weak his coordination and communication skills were superior. It was instant improvement the minute he stepped on the field for the Ravens and I think everyone assumed the secondary wouldn’t miss a beat with ET replacing him. So far that hasn’t been the case.
I thought you were talking about the defense as a whole, not the secondary. My bad

rossihunter2

Staff Member

they're different kinds of safeties and Thomas isnt as close to the LoS by nature of his skillset - not ideal to be a key communicator if you're playing single high all the time

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I'm a little worried we are heading down a path where we will have to rely on Lamar to do too much. To have to outscore to win...throw too much and run too much.

you'd think that we have enough playmakers on defence that they'd at least occasionally do something that would mean as long as our offence doesnt misfire we should win

we're getting killed by not creating turnovers - as great as wink's defence has been, the one key negative through a year and 3 games now is that we dont really create turnovers consistently

now there's a lot of variance year-to-year in turnover numbers but it's a problem - we only created 17 turnovers last year which means that our defence was so good it didnt need to rely on turnovers but our defence isnt that good anymore in the same way - we need to create positive plays on defence this year for our defence to be effective - better qbs will find the holes in our D, so we need to punish teams for daring to throw at us - we're going to give up tds and plays etc this year on defence but we need to make more plays on top of that

sacks and ints and fumbles

Tank

Hall of Famer
Yeah but I think it was a given he would have to have a superior passing game today for us to win. Even with the questionable coaching decisions and terrible officiating it seems we win had he been on the mark with a lot of those errant passes.

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor
Yeah but I think it was a given he would have to have a superior passing game today for us to win. Even with the questionable coaching decisions it seems we win had he been on the mark with a lot of those errant passes.
The difference and why Lamar had some errant passes was the serious pass rush pressure the entire game that Mahommes simply didn’t have.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Just saying. Ramsey would cause a lot of coverage sacks.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
The pass rush was ridiculous and the OL didn't help him much because a lot of times guys were free almost immediately. Ogbah had a clean hit to him and a couple DL had a few clean hits as well. That said, Lamar needed to throw it better and the time he had in the pocket he got antsy and threw it wrong. I don't think this is the kind of game that worries you because it was a bad game by the OL as well. I mean, Skura is going to cost us a game with his errant snaps at some point. The coaches need to find a fix there because if he can't fix those snaps he needs to be benched. A starting C should be able to snap the ball to his QB without these kind of issues--especially if it's his second year with the QB. I know Lamar would like those throws back to Brown since he really put it too far out there for anyone to get at least twice. One of those would've been a TD.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
we're 3 players away from being flat-out dominant in all phases:

need a corner - be that Jimmy coming back or someone stepping up or us going out and getting Ramsey...
need a receiver - someone other than Hollywood needs to step up - i think we have to draft someone else in 2020 to add some more talent - boykin doesnt look ready, moore adds nothing, snead will be gone, roberts will be gone, jaleel scott's been inactive
need an interior OL - if lamar can stand in the pocket and step into throws he's borderline unstoppable - not sure where this player comes from - i was positive on skura coming in but not only is he getting beat, his shotgun snaps have left a lot to be desired which is like the minimum we should have expected
San Fran did a good job mitigating Andrews and Marquise. We need another guy that can step up to be sure.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Lamar Jackson on biggest takeaway from game: "We let our defense down, I feel. Offensive line did a great job. I had a lot of throws I should've made. Deep balls -- Marquise [Brown] had 'em, Miles Boykin had 'em -- complete those, and we have more time on the clock."

this dude out here defending his dudes
yes he missed some balls that he'd like to have back but he had very little help all day and still kept us in this game

he's right thought hollywood did have them - not easy throws to make but if any of those early deep shots is on the money the game might have gone differently

i dont think lamar has a non-humble bone in his body

rossihunter2

Staff Member
The pass rush was ridiculous and the OL didn't help him much because a lot of times guys were free almost immediately. Ogbah had a clean hit to him and a couple DL had a few clean hits as well. That said, Lamar needed to throw it better and the time he had in the pocket he got antsy and threw it wrong. I don't think this is the kind of game that worries you because it was a bad game by the OL as well. I mean, Skura is going to cost us a game with his errant snaps at some point. The coaches need to find a fix there because if he can't fix those snaps he needs to be benched. A starting C should be able to snap the ball to his QB without these kind of issues--especially if it's his second year with the QB. I know Lamar would like those throws back to Brown since he really put it too far out there for anyone to get at least twice. One of those would've been a TD.

it's a change from the old ravens deep ball problem which was underthrowing the receivers
i almost miss joe underthrowing a guy who had no chance at catching the ball but did have a chance to draw a DPI lol