• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Good, The Better and The Best vs NE

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
It was always part of the plan. These fools (other teams' FOs) really thought they had a chance of taking DeCosta from us, not knowing that he was the heir apparent all along. All he did was wait his turn and the keys to the castle were his.
We have the Skins and Charley Casserly to thank for Eric DeCosta, whether we like it or not. EDC was with the Skins in a small capacity, not sure what he was in 1995. Casserly was very supported in his chance to have an opportunity with the Ravens when they came to town.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
We have the Skins and Charley Casserly to thank for Eric DeCosta, whether we like it or not. EDC was with the Skins in a small capacity, not sure what he was in 1995. Casserly was very supported in his chance to have an opportunity with the Ravens when they came to town.

EDC has spoken about it - he was basically an intern and then was also an intern at the ravens in '96 too and basically did a bit of everything until he joined the scouting dept

and at the combine he didnt really know where he should be or what he should be doing so ozzie waves him over and gets him to sit with him - and they've basically sat with each other at every nfl combine since as eric moved his way up the ranks

D1City55

Pro Bowler
The one blemish I saw from Thomas was I believe when he gave up a long deep reception to James White I believe right near the endzone. I could be wrong but I’m pretty sure a long reception was thrown to White right at the goal line practically.
I think that was the only blemish. It happens. That said he had a great game. Easily his best so far this season.

purp

Practice Squad
I have absolutely no problem with Hollywood protecting his body. I think he learned in the first game that if he just goes down guys will still take shots at him while he's on the ground.

On the play in question, he had already gotten the first down. The dude is 165 lbs soaking wet. His asset is speed, not power. Folks would really rather get 2 more yards and lose a star WR for a season than applaud a smart play. TY Hilton and Shady McCoy have made entire careers with this approach.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I think that was the only blemish. It happens. That said he had a great game. Easily his best so far this season.

he looked like he finally had complete understanding of the scheme and was free to play within it - he finally could start reacting to what he sees etc. and ironically he's looked at his best when we're in the dime and we have someone else play deep safety and he can roam close to the LoS pre-snap almost like weddle - with deshon elliott back there and now brandon carr rotating into deep safety in the dime and quarter (which he can only do because jimmy's back and because all 3 of our other corners can travel if needed)

im really excited about how multiple earl's role in this defence is and that he's not just being used the exact same way he was in seattle with their fairly basic cover scheme

Chuck Clark is also a revelation every week btw - gets better and better

Dscola

Practice Squad
if it wasnt to try and get more yards (of which im not convinced but im gonna find the play again to have another look) then its probably just because hes still recovering from his injuries and while hes in that state he wants to preserve himself when he can while he's healing - we know he can take a hit when he needs to like on that steelers td etc. but when he can avoid contact he does and that's fine also
I agree on this. The Pats Mickey Mouse receivers have done it for 20 years.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Saw that on his IG live. Love their swagger. Just waiting for Hollywood to break through into stardom and its over for the league.

Thinking MNF in LA would be fitting for Hollywood to break out on prime time. Watch him roast Ramsey who I think is a bad matchup for Ramsey.

he and lamar are both only 22 years old
mark andrews, orlando brown jr and miles boykin are only 23 years old
gus edwards is only 24 years old
ronnie stanley is only 25 years old

hell nick boyle is only 26 and so is hayden hurst and willie snead is 27

would be great if hollywood could pop off in LA but this is a young group in only their first year in this offence

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I love this team man, the ravens have always felt dull and uptight, this teams swagger is on a million right now and it’s so fun to watch

and they are all all in and having fun with each other both sides of the ball - you're seeing offensive players getting into the defensive pictures, you're seeing marlon humphrey and ronnie stanley being like best friends and that starts with lamar - the very first thing he did in his rookie year was get to know everyone... defence, offence, coaches, trainers, equipment managers, grounds staff - you never saw that level of togetherness and cross-pollination between units with joe - and joe didnt have to do that stuff to win - but lamar at 22 is already the leader of this team in every sense of the word

rossihunter2

Staff Member
as an aside im starting to see this take in multiple places and it is complete bullshit but let people keep doubting...

apparently the pats didnt try their hardest in this game because they wanted to leave something back for when we see them again in the playoffs

1. there's no guarantee these 2 teams play each other again (and bellichick said as much in his press conference after the game)
  2. i saw more different kinds of defensive alignment from the pats than ive seen from maybe any other team - they literally changed from a 3-4 to a 4-3 after the first 2-3 drives - they used spies, they used man with zone inside, they used cover zero blitzes etc. etc. - they didnt do any of that against other teams
  3. its naive to think bellichick would throw away a game for deceptive purposes when if he actually did do what's being suggested it could potentially be the loss that loses them a bye or home field or whatever - and its literally in some of the highlight reels the moment bellichick gets his entire defence around him and is literally trying to fix and adjust in-game - likewise dont'a hightower getting heated on the sideline
but you know what let those takes be out there and let us go back into the shadows so we can punch some other darling team in the mouth

Charm City

Pro Bowler
I have absolutely no problem with Hollywood protecting his body. I think he learned in the first game that if he just goes down guys will still take shots at him while he's on the ground.

On the play in question, he had already gotten the first down. The dude is 165 lbs soaking wet. His asset is speed, not power. Folks would really rather get 2 more yards and lose a star WR for a season than applaud a smart play. TY Hilton and Shady McCoy have made entire careers with this approach.
He also has not had a full NFL season in the weight room and I'm sure his injuries have hampered his ability to bulk up as well. I don't see why he can't add at least 10 pounds and still keep his same speed this offseason

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
he looked like he finally had complete understanding of the scheme and was free to play within it - he finally could start reacting to what he sees etc. and ironically he's looked at his best when we're in the dime and we have someone else play deep safety and he can roam close to the LoS pre-snap almost like weddle - with deshon elliott back there and now brandon carr rotating into deep safety in the dime and quarter (which he can only do because jimmy's back and because all 3 of our other corners can travel if needed)

im really excited about how multiple earl's role in this defence is and that he's not just being used the exact same way he was in seattle with their fairly basic cover scheme

Chuck Clark is also a revelation every week btw - gets better and better
I remember Carr practicing at safety in the offseason and the first thing I noticed at the game was ET playing strong safety and Carr playing free safety and wondered if this would happen in this game, with Jimmy back.

purp

Practice Squad
as an aside im starting to see this take in multiple places and it is complete bullshit but let people keep doubting...

apparently the pats didnt try their hardest in this game because they wanted to leave something back for when we see them again in the playoffs

1. there's no guarantee these 2 teams play each other again (and bellichick said as much in his press conference after the game)
  2. i saw more different kinds of defensive alignment from the pats than ive seen from maybe any other team - they literally changed from a 3-4 to a 4-3 after the first 2-3 drives - they used spies, they used man with zone inside, they used cover zero blitzes etc. etc. - they didnt do any of that against other teams
  3. its naive to think bellichick would throw away a game for deceptive purposes when if he actually did do what's being suggested it could potentially be the loss that loses them a bye or home field or whatever - and its literally in some of the highlight reels the moment bellichick gets his entire defence around him and is literally trying to fix and adjust in-game - likewise dont'a hightower getting heated on the sideline
but you know what let those takes be out there and let us go back into the shadows so we can punch some other darling team in the mouth

NFL players and coaches do not lose on purpose. It just doesn’t happen. GMs and Owners might set them up to fail on purpose, but at the game day level guys show up to compete.

Putting bullshit on tape takes food out of your family’s mouth, full stop. The post-hoc rationalization of Pats stans is amazing.

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor
I stayed up till 3 AM because the adrenalin pumping through my veins didn't settle down. This morning I went right back to scouring the internet for videos and articles to see how the naysayers were doing in the aftermath of a severe drubbing of the Pats at the hands of imho the Michael Jordan of the NFL. How would the haters reconcile the facts with their perception? Some still hated like Whitlock, Gonzalez and Mancini saying they were all super impressed with the Patriots! Figure that one out for me please. Some reluctantly gave Lamar his props. Some outright jumped bandwagons shamelessly. Some stood their ground looking stupid.

Bottom line is Lamar doesn't give a rat's tiny poop bit what these guys think and that is the most satisfying thing to me.

And to prove this point ,Lamar came out to the presser with a Nobody Cares,Work Harder T shirt on.