• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Lamar, The Bengals and The Record Books

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
I agree, but he had the 3rd most pressures in the league coming into today and I doubt that changed. He just isn't getting sacks.
I want DeCosta to pay Judon. He is having a great season. Not many flashy sacks but constant pressure, QB hits, drops a lot to coverage... just great all around game.

So this game ... A game we all expected to win, but were reluctant to just count it as an automatic W because in division, recent issues in beating the team, coming off bye and on the road. It was pretty clear early in the game that we had no cause for concern.

As they were running on us with relative ease to end the first half and with them getting the ball to start the 2nd half, that was a critical possession. At that point Bengals had zero room for error and they failed on that drive. Then the avalanche came.

Lamar, Lamar OMG Lamar. Mix in a perfect passer rating and a 47 yard TD ... that looked like THAT. A combo you will not see often ...

I want DeCosta to pay Judon. He is having a great season. Not many flashy sacks but constant pressure, QB hits, drops a lot to coverage... just great all around game.

Id love to keep him and not overpay but our pass rushers in the past have gotten mega contracts from 7-8 sack seasons.

Sam Koch this season

images

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
I didn't even listen what Harlan said during LJ's TD run I was way too excited. Here's what he said: oooooh he broke his ankles... He is Houdini! Harlan continues to provide great snippets. I wish we had him more often than these other clowns

purp

Practice Squad
and Roman said there is so much of the offense we wouldn't be able to do without Nick Boyle. He's one of the better all around TE's in the league and definitely the best blocking TE in the league.

Most of our successful plays involve Boyle or Ricard making a filthy block. Particularly runs by Lamar.

If you watch the 47-yarder, the combination of a cut block on 57 (Germaine Pratt) out wide left and the dive action/all-world ball fake from Lamar and Ingram are what give Jackson enough space to get around Dunlap.

Boyle essentially seals the entire left side of the field by himself. Pratt is supposed to fill but after the block from Boyle he gets knocked out of the entire play. Incredible to watch.

He can also block DEs one-on-one which allows all kinds of havoc in the second level as our tackle, guards, and FB can get up on linebackers and DBs with ease.

Then, as soon you start sleeping expecting to get off his block, he opens up routes over the middle, catches everything and is a load to bring down.

Extremely prescient scouting and development to get the most out of our boy Nick.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Most of our successful plays involve Boyle or Ricard making a filthy block. Particularly runs by Lamar.

If you watch the 47-yarder, the combination of a cut block on 57 (Germaine Pratt) out wide left and the dive action/all-world ball fake from Lamar and Ingram are what give Jackson enough space to get around Dunlap.

Boyle essentially seals the entire left side of the field by himself. Pratt is supposed to fill but after the block from Boyle he gets knocked out of the entire play. Incredible to watch.

He can also block DEs one-on-one which allows all kinds of havoc in the second level as our tackle, guards, and FB can get up on linebackers and DBs with ease.

Then, as soon you start sleeping expecting to get off his block, he opens up routes over the middle, catches everything and is a load to bring down.

Extremely prescient scouting and development to get the most out of our boy Nick.
In my opinion, the general public (meaning some Ravens fans and pretty much any other NFL fan) are late to the party on Boyle. The Ravens have known how good he is for quite some time now, and based off the tweets I saw from Schefter and others when he was extended, teams around the league knew how versatile and good this guy is. Its no secret to teams that do quality scouting and analysis.

Its simply that, to the public, what he does generally isn't that sexy. Most weeks he isn't going to have 50 yards receiving. Some weeks he'll play great games and never even catch a pass. To fans those people aren't valuable. To teams, they're extremely valuable.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
In my opinion, the general public (meaning some Ravens fans and pretty much any other NFL fan) are late to the party on Boyle. The Ravens have known how good he is for quite some time now, and based off the tweets I saw from Schefter and others when he was extended, teams around the league knew how versatile and good this guy is. Its no secret to teams that do quality scouting and analysis.

Its simply that, to the public, what he does generally isn't that sexy. Most weeks he isn't going to have 50 yards receiving. Some weeks he'll play great games and never even catch a pass. To fans those people aren't valuable. To teams, they're extremely valuable.
he was being offered a very similar contract, from the Bills and they had done their scouting on him. My friend, who is a Bills fan and lives in the DC area wasn't happy when we extended him, yet you are correct. Many weren't happy with that extension.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
You can tell there is a new found confidence in Harbs with our success and having Lamar at QB. Never have I seen this between him and Joe, I go back to Seattle. Harbs sends Tucker out there and then asks Lamar if he wants to go for it. Again, never done that with Joe. I think we'll win multiple Super Bowls with Lamar but as Harbs said, we got to start with one.

you can see he already really really cares about lamar on an incredibly personal level that's kind of paternal in a way that goes beyond just purely being his head coach - the way they kind of manage to have this quiet moment in the middle of such a hectic space is awesome - it almost kind of feels a little odd that we get to see and hear it because of how intimate that moment felt

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
you can see he already really really cares about lamar on an incredibly personal level that's kind of paternal in a way that goes beyond just purely being his head coach - the way they kind of manage to have this quiet moment in the middle of such a hectic space is awesome - it almost kind of feels a little odd that we get to see and hear it because of how intimate that moment felt
hey, there is only one coach that has won a super bowl with multiple QBs. Two if you count Parcells with a backup QB, but I'm not counting him. It is quite possible that Harbaugh becomes the second coach to do that.

Reactions: cdp

Sandtown

Pro Bowler
Maybe its Greg Roman play calling but Bobby Engram and Andy Bischoff have done a great job with The Ravens tight ends so far. Mark Andrews looks likes he's on his way to beating his production that he had in his rookie year, Nick Boyle looks like he's on his way to having his best year yet as a receiver, and Hayden Hurst has been nothing but solid as a receiver and blocker.

Reactions: cdp