• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Wink Martindale and Greg Roman

A1A

Veteran
Cowboys should be on that list so should BOB. Unfortunately we will lose 1 or both Coordinators and be stuck with our hof coach. Idk who will be available in 2021 tho. Eric Bieniemy should coach the cowboys, would be a perfect match. If that happens the cowboys fanbase should be ecstatic.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Cowboys should be on that list so should BOB. Unfortunately we will lose 1 or both Coordinators and be stuck with our hof coach. Idk who will be available in 2021 tho. Eric Bieniemy should coach the cowboys, would be a perfect match. If that happens the cowboys fanbase should be ecstatic.
Moore will probably end up being the head coach of the Cowboys. He is being groomed by Jerry Jones and Jones doens't like to admit he was wrong.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
So what teams do you believe will have HC openings in the offseason.

AFC East --- no teams -- I believe the Jets and Dolphins will keep their 1st year coaches. Pretty stupid of the Jets to give Adam Gase a 6 yr contract.

AFC North ---- again no teams will have openings.
Browns --- are probably going to keep Kittens, according to recent reports.

AFC South ---
Jaguars could have an opening. Never liked Doug Marrone as head coach.

AFC West ---
LA Chargers is the only team I see as being an option, even though they made the playoffs last season, they have looked pathetic this season.

NFC East ---
NY Giants --- Pat Shurmer could be on the outs, but it's possible he gets one more year with Daniel Jones.
Redskins --- obviously already fired and Callahan is only the interim coach
Cowboys ---- Garrett is walking dead.

NFC North --- No openings

NFC South ---
Atlanta Falcons -- I think Dan Quinn's job is riding on how they finish out the season, but imo, he's gone.

NFC West --- There will be no openings in the NFC West.

So there you have it. I think it's pretty predictable on what teams will be looking for a head coach in the offseason and there aren't many decent destinations. May only have four teams.

Panthers - have already fired Rivera --- could be a very nice destination for Roman or Wink.
Browns - most likely keeping Kittens per reports
Jaguars
Chargers
Giants -- most likely parting ways with Shurmer.
Redskins -- Urban won't be interested in this destination as well and Snyder would rather have a splash signing
Cowboys -- like it or not this destination would be a destination GRo would jump on, but he won't be given the chance.
Falcons -- They need an offensive minded coach, but doubt GRo would be one they are looking at.
--

I updated this thread post from November and feel the only destinations that could work for Greg Roman would be the Carolina Panthers and the Dallas Cowboys. I'm not sure any other team would have interest.

Asyranok

Practice Squad
As much as I love Martindale, I think that Roman is the more critical puzzle piece. Our defense is not redefining defense. Our defense is just plain good. And DeCosta and Martindale are major reasons for that. But Roman is fairly unique. His style of offense is storied, given Kap, and now Lamar. We need to pay him whatever it takes to keep his know-how here at least one more season.

And without Lamar or Kyler Murray or someone like them, his value plummets for anyone that signs him anyway. I am used to teams peeling off Ravens coordinators and sticking them to their bleeding amputated wounds. And none of them really end up playing out for those fools anyway. Heck, there's a chance in hell that Marvin Lewis could come back and do something productive with this defensive talent. But no one else has the experience with this type of offense.

So, in my personal and admittedly-minimally-educated-opinion, keep Roman no matter what next season. I'm tired of seeing our OC's and DC's leave after a max of 3 seasons. We need some continuity, and he is the one time where it's critical.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
As much as I love Martindale, I think that Roman is the more critical puzzle piece. Our defense is not redefining defense. Our defense is just plain good. And DeCosta and Martindale are major reasons for that. But Roman is fairly unique. His style of offense is storied, given Kap, and now Lamar. We need to pay him whatever it takes to keep his know-how here at least one more season.

And without Lamar or Kyler Murray or someone like them, his value plummets for anyone that signs him anyway. I am used to teams peeling off Ravens coordinators and sticking them to their bleeding amputated wounds. And none of them really end up playing out for those fools anyway. Heck, there's a chance in hell that Marvin Lewis could come back and do something productive with this defensive talent. But no one else has the experience with this type of offense.

So, in my personal and admittedly-minimally-educated-opinion, keep Roman no matter what next season. I'm tired of seeing our OC's and DC's leave after a max of 3 seasons. We need some continuity, and he is the one time where it's critical.
hell, having them for three full season in OC or DC roll would be nice. We had Kubiak for one season and currently Roman is in his first year as well at OC.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
@JO_75 I'm posting this here as well.

One less spot for Roman and Wink. The Falcons have announced that Dan Quinn and GM Thomas Dimitroff will return, also Raheem Morris will be the team's Defensive Coordinator for 2020.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...ounce-dan-quinn-thomas-dimitroff-will-return/

how odd - i was sure quinn was gone but i suppose this run down the stretch has been good - but it is another disappointing season overall for the falcons

JO_75

Hall of Famer
I think Carolina is our biggest threat to Roman with the team they have and with a healthy Cam, they could do similar things we do with Lamar, but I feel they could have a rookie QB next year which Roman may not want and would prefer the team keep Cam. As far as Wink, Vic Fangio was the only Defensive Coordinator hired last year and that hasn't turned out to well. So I think Wink will be here in 2020, but our defense has proven to be solid regardless of the DC. We need to make Roman assistant Head Coach or pay him Head Coach money to keep him here.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I think Carolina is our biggest threat to Roman with the team they have and with a healthy Cam, they could do similar things we do with Lamar, but I feel they could have a rookie QB next year which Roman may not want and would prefer the team keep Cam. As far as Wink, Vic Fangio was the only Defensive Coordinator hired last year and that hasn't turned out to well. So I think Wink will be here in 2020, but our defense has proven to be solid regardless of the DC. We need to make Roman assistant Head Coach or pay him Head Coach money to keep him here.

um brian flores was also hired last year - and has done a great job with an appalling roster
fangio's done fine too given their qb problems

with the way the season's gone and some of the recent announcements here are the jobs i expect to be open:

AFC North: Browns
AFC South: Jaguars
AFC East: (maybe Jets if Gase is 1 and done)
AFC West: (maybe Chargers but they will struggle to find someone to take that job in LA)

NFC North: (Vikings maybe depending on how the next 2 weeks go)
NFC South: Panthers
NFC East: Cowboys, Redskins, Giants
NFC West: no one

so that's 6 jobs most likely going to be open and up to 3 others - the average year-to-year is between 6 and 8 but we've had 8 openings the last 2 years

in some of these situations i expect some front office shake-ups which might change how quickly they hire HCs (Jaguars, Redskins, Giants, Panthers)

Not sure which of those situations is most attractive but the Giants and Jaguars probably have the best owner situations and it's too early to say with regards to Tepper as the Panthers's owner (but it usually takes new owners at least 1 go round to get the swing of things)

In terms of Carolina specifically - there's no structural reasons why it would be the most attractive job - potentially a completely new ownership and front office group but that's up in the air so maybe someone comes in at the executive level who Roman has a prior relationship with but ultimately that's unknown - as for the specifics of the situation I would not say Cam Newton is a particularly attractive option - he's been severely hampered by injuries the last couple of years to the extent where it's not actually clear whether he can still run an offence and there's no clear qb options on the market or in the draft who would be available for the panthers to pick up - you'd be looking at a tyrod taylor type qb in carolina at best which is what Roman had in buffalo but not sure that'd be enough anymore

Redskins and Giants will both have high picks but neither is likely to pick up a qb - you could say the giants are a potential nice spot - solid ownership group, tradition of that organisation, track record of patience, and daniel jones has a high ceiling as a qb and also the athleticism to maybe implement some of this ravens scheme in new york

so unless the panthers are picking up jalen hurts - not sure where they're going to get a high level rookie qb from and not sure whether cam's even able to go next year

Tank

Hall of Famer
I still think James Urban is the most important assistant on the offensive coaching staff. IMO if it weren't for him LJ would not be where he is at this point in his career.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I still think James Urban is the most important assistant on the offensive coaching staff. IMO if it weren't for him LJ would not be where he is at this point in his career.
I'd be willing to bet that James Urban would be the offensive coordinator to replace David Culley. There was an article written earlier in the month that said he could be the OC candidate in Philly if they fired their current OC. Of course, he was one of eight different options.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
not that they were ever options

We might survive the offseason and keep them both. A couple college coaches may make the jump, Urban Meyer & Matt Rhule, potentially Jim Harbaugh again. Rivera already filled one vacancy, and Mike McCarthy may get one of the jobs. I really haven't heard Wink or Roman being connected to any specific team and teams just seem to be looking elsewhere which is good for us.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
We might survive the offseason and keep them both. A couple college coaches may make the jump, Urban Meyer & Matt Rhule, potentially Jim Harbaugh again. Rivera already filled one vacancy, and Mike McCarthy may get one of the jobs. I really haven't heard Wink or Roman being connected to any specific team and teams just seem to be looking elsewhere which is good for us.
I've heard Roman connected to the Panthers but that was weeks ago

rossihunter2

Staff Member

the jim harbaugh rumour is really interesting

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Per Rappaport: The Browns have a wide ranging HC search that includes, Kevin Stefanski, Josh McDaniels, Greg Roman, and Dennis Allen.

Although I don't think Roman is a great fit in Cleveland, it is worth watching the development.

edit: Cleveland has also requested an interview with Roman - per Schefter

Last edited:

Craven_Raven

Practice Squad
Per Rappaport: The Browns have a wide ranging HC search that includes, Kevin Stefanski, Josh McDaniels, Greg Roman, and Dennis Allen.

Although I don't think Roman is a great fit in Cleveland, it is worth watching the development.

edit: Cleveland has also requested an interview with Roman - per Schefter

If the Browns do this and land Roman it will prove they have no idea what they’re doing and will lock them into mediocrity or worse for the next decade.

All one has to do is watch Lamar’s 2019 highlights to understand that he’s the X Factor and not Roman. How many plays have we witnessed in crucial situations this season where Lamar does something that no one else on the field would be capable of whether it’s evading a sack in the pocket, destroying an edge defender with a juke and burst or throwing under pressure into a tiny window in a cramped red zone. If they hire Roman they’ve given up on Baker. If they draft Hurts they’ll learn very quickly they’re chasing something that only exists in Baltimore. Lamar is a unicorn.

Also, if Roman goes the Ravens should give Bobby Petrino an interview.