• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Film Breakdowns

Eddie

Practice Squad

i think this video is interesting - not because i agree with it - i vehemently disagree with a lot of the conjecture in it (also it only takes from 2 minute drill to speculate on how you can defend against lamar for a whole game which obviously devalues the running aspect of our offence etc.)

but what's interesting is that he's pointing out moments where typically a qb needs to slide protection and look to the hot read knowing there's an overload and it looks to him like lamar's not identifying the blitzer

but when asked about that play in the presser lamar mentioned that he knew he was "hot" and that they dealt with that play how they practice it which means they are practicing these types of responses to zero cover blitzes etc.

there's a reason lamar has been the best qb in the league against blitz and zero in the last 2-3 months and its because we dont play it the same way as teams traditionally would - when there's an overload (punt rush type deal) lamar's left to deal with the free runner rather than adjusting - we trust lamar to beat the guy or get rid of the football and by leaving lamar with a free runner coming at him it leaves an open space somewhere else and if lamar can beat the rusher then he's got basically 1v1 across the board and maybe 1v0 somewhere

teams have repeatedly tried to flummox lamar by going zero and lamar has consistently beat them and i wonder if teams on tape are seeing what this guy is noting on this video that it looks like lamar is getting it all wrong and getting lucky so they throw more of it at him and yet he's consistently beating it and not just beating it but making big plays off of it

To play devil's advocate, he wasn't wrong in his assessment unfortunately....

rossihunter2

Staff Member

To play devil's advocate, he wasn't wrong in his assessment unfortunately....

I don’t know that that’s what he’s actually saying in this follow up video tbh - Jackson made mistakes sure but he also made some absolutely “wow” plays in that game - the whole offence as a unit was poor and especially the mekari-Bozeman axis up front - we missed skura and for the 2nd year in a row our left interior OL got blown up in the playoffs

Believe Dat

Practice Squad
I don’t know that that’s what he’s actually saying in this follow up video tbh - Jackson made mistakes sure but he also made some absolutely “wow” plays in that game - the whole offence as a unit was poor and especially the mekari-Bozeman axis up front - we missed skura and for the 2nd year in a row our left interior OL got blown up in the playoffs
We’ve lost in the playoffs two years in a row primarily due to O line play (and turnovers). That’s just facts.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
We’ve lost in the playoffs two years in a row primarily due to O line play (and turnovers). That’s just facts.
And not starting off well. It just seems to me that Lamar REALLY wanted to start off good in our last playoff game given how poorly he played for the first 3 quarters in his first playoff game.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
Ravens ran outside zone 8x vs. Chiefs for 102. All to the right. They also had an outside zone run that went for 45 called back for a rather slight holding call outside. I think we'll see more outside zone in 2020.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Ravens ran outside zone 8x vs. Chiefs for 102. All to the right. They also had an outside zone run that went for 45 called back for a rather slight holding call outside. I think we'll see more outside zone in 2020.

really interesting given the experience and strength jk dobbins has shown in those types of zone concepts as a patient reader who gets downhill pretty quickly