• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2020 WR Draft Thread

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I was not too big on Hollywood before we drafted him(size and injuries worried me) but I said long before we drafted him that he was the fastest player I had ever watched. I think he would’ve been like 4.24 at least. If not, then he’s got the best acceleration I’ve seen

i feel like i spent most of the 2019 pre-draft season grinding you down and trying to convince you on hollywood - i just looked at my board to remind myself just how high i had him:

i had him 11th on my big board

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
i feel like i spent most of the 2019 pre-draft season grinding you down and trying to convince you on hollywood - i just looked at my board to remind myself just how high i had him:

Where would he go after a one year do-over?

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Where would he go after a one year do-over?

hard to say - that was a big board not a mock - i never had him going that high in a mock but i thought he was a top 11 prospect...

hmm let's see... it's hard to not factor in his injury e.g. PFF had him with the 2 best rookie grades of the year i think in week 1 and 10 - his highs were as high as we hoped but he also had some dips...

probably would drop somewhere between 5-9 spots maybe...

he'd jump some guys but also get jumped by a 2/3 receivers and erik mccoy and maybe a juan thornhill or a CJG at safety and i had him ahead of brian burns too - i guess he'd probably end up around 17th in stead of 11th... which isnt bad given the injury

in a mock draft he probably ends up right back in the same spot we took him in based on needs etc. maybe he gets nabbed before we pick though

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

Yeah I know lol, with Lamar’s super unproven arm I was really worried about his fit. The strides Lamar made as a passer really alleviated any concern I’ll have for that though. Speed receivers are now my favorite fit for this team because I don’t have to worry about lamar needing a big wingspan to make completions

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Yeah I know lol, with Lamar’s super unproven arm I was really worried about his fit. The strides Lamar made as a passer really alleviated any concern I’ll have for that though. Speed receivers are now my favorite fit for this team because I don’t have to worry about lamar needing a big wingspan to make completions

i guess ive always just been philosophically more attracted to separation vs wingspan

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
i guess ive always just been philosophically more attracted to separation vs wingspan
I am too, but it’s situational. Even the best wrs I worry about if I feel it’s a bad fit, hell WRs can suffer worse than probably any position when in a bad fit. I worried Hollywood would be a bad fit because even with separation Lamar might not be able to deliver it in reach, but after seeing this season I realize that’s a dumb thought lol.

I usually prefer separation over wingspan as well, for example Odell Beckham was the highest receiver I ever graded and it was because of his explosive separation, same year I had mike Evans graded as a straight bust lol.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I am too, but it’s situational. Even the best wrs I worry about if I feel it’s a bad fit, hell WRs can suffer worse than probably any position when in a bad fit. I worried Hollywood would be a bad fit because even with separation Lamar might not be able to deliver it in reach, but after seeing this season I realize that’s a dumb thought lol.

I usually prefer separation over wingspan as well, for example Odell Beckham was the highest receiver I ever graded and it was because of his explosive separation, same year I had mike Evans graded as a straight bust lol.

haha oddly enough i loved mike evans in that draft but also odell

looking at my WR rankings at the moment there's a lot of big body guys down towards the bottom of the list - and partly that's personal preference but partly that's down to usage - lamar's not the kind of guy to take a shot down the sideline to a guy who's got defenders all over him so the contested catch guy in that situation isnt going to get a huge plus

ultimately if you can separate it doesnt matter how you do it but specifically for our offence the way you separate certainly matters

and especially if we're adopting analytics in our drafting, analysing and conceptualising then we wont be designing an offence around low percentage throws which are typically those endzone corner fade type throws that require more perfection than other types of plays and play designs and have a higher probability of failure - im not saying you take those plays out of the playbook but the analytics is helping break some long-held ideas about how to win and pushing towards different traits - are the height and weight elements of a 'triangle' prospect really as important as the speed and agility elements

its just interesting

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor

I don’t think your concerns were unwarranted in hindsight with how we used John Brown and then let him walk. It’s almost like you thought we didn’t want that type of WR.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I don’t think your concerns were unwarranted in hindsight with how we used John Brown and then let him walk. It’s almost like you thought we didn’t want that type of WR.
Exactly, John browns disappearance worried me a lot about that type, but in hindsight John brown also did it to himself in large part, because something happened to him midseason where he started alligator arming passes constantly

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

I feel QBs suffer the most and WRs second. I feel so many QBs didn't make it because of the team that drafted them due to the lack of development.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I feel QBs suffer the most and WRs second. I feel so many QBs didn't make it because of the team that drafted them due to the lack of development.
Yes and no, qbs failing due to system stands out the most, but qbs are also much more capable of taking things into their own hands if the opportunity presents itself. With wrs you need the playcall to be right, the defensive playcall to be advantageous, you need the qb to see you, and deliver the ball properly. There’s just so much that is completely out of a wrs hands and such an erratic and unpredictable nature to the position, that’s why I feel like they’re hurt the most in a bad fit

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Yes and no, qbs failing due to system stands out the most, but qbs are also much more capable of taking things into their own hands if the opportunity presents itself. With wrs you need the playcall to be right, the defensive playcall to be advantageous, you need the qb to see you, and deliver the ball properly. There’s just so much that is completely out of a wrs hands and such an erratic and unpredictable nature to the position, that’s why I feel like they’re hurt the most in a bad fit

it's why grading someone like donovan peoples-jones is a nightmare because he's got great traits but he had shea patterson attempting to throw him the ball

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Van jefferson is davante Adams. Their setup and release is identical and they’re pretty similarly built with similar athletic traits and both are reliable routine catchers who can also make some moderately difficult catches as well.

yeah I really like van jefferson, along with kj hill, I didn’t like the idea of not getting a wr in round 1/2 before discovering these guys, I absolutely think those 2 can be top tier WR2 and 1 should be available for us come round 3.

Justin Jefferson is a very comparable prospect as well but his YAC and back shoulder/high point ability make him a potential elite WR1 over the former 2.

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
What am I missing? Shenault #2 Jeudy #3? I like Lamb but not as #1 I have him #3. But I haven't watched all wrs yet

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
What am I missing? Shenault #2 Jeudy #3? I like Lamb but not as #1 I have him #3. But I haven't watched all wrs yet

What you’re missing is:

context.

as in, who’s ranking is this? Some jackass nobody cares about. Shenault doesn’t belong on any top 5. I have him firmly as a late 2nd rounder, if he’s there when we’re on the clock, do it for fun and see what happens, otherwise, he’s not very good as an nfl wr

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
What you’re missing is:

context.

as in, who’s ranking is this? Some jackass nobody cares about. Shenault doesn’t belong on any top 5. I have him firmly as a late 2nd rounder, if he’s there when we’re on the clock, do it for fun and see what happens, otherwise, he’s not very good as an nfl wr

That guy look like he never played football a day in his life. Probably not even flag.

Reactions: cdp

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
What you’re missing is:

context.

You're right. I was doubting myself because recently I've seen a couple of rankings with crazy orders. and this is only the beginning I cannot wait for the combine overreactions.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
What you’re missing is:

context.

ive seen basically every single media outlet and media scout talk about shenault as a top 5 receiver and even guys like voch lombardi raving over him and i just dont get it - he's versatile and great with the ball in his hands but he literally does not separate because he's incredibly raw as a receiver - he's got so much upside but there's like 10 other receivers in this class with crazy ceilings who also happen to be better at separating than shenault

its the one thing that i really really dont understand - with other prospects where i have a disparity i can kind of see it but with shenault i dont get it at all