• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

General Draft Thoughts

rossihunter2

Staff Member
One LB we definitely should take a look at is Akeem Davis-Gaither. He flies under the radar due to not having the best length and coming from a weaker conference. However, his instincts seem off the chart, he's a great read and react guys in coverage, and he has really good athleticism. Plus, he really knows how to tackle. He doesn't head hunt or put everything into going for the ball letting the carrier easily juke or spin move move him. He properly breaksdown and wraps people up. In fact he's a tackling machine. Though the real highlight is his physicality and passion. He's a sparkplug for a defense, really igniting them and firing them up.

havent watched any tape yet but he was great all week at the senior bowl

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
I can't see us going into the draft without signing an ILB in FA. maybe Schobert, maybe someone no one is mentioning but we won't go into the draft having to absolutely positively take one . Especially not this draft class.
I think that’s the ticket honestly. If we can fill LB & DL in FA I think that would be huge for us. Getting Schobert and Campbell if possible would be massive in that it would solve two major issues and reduce needs considerably. I think the best strategy may be to focus on DEF in FA and build your offense in the draft this year with the talent available unless a crazy talent on defense falls to us.
The ILB free agent class, assuming it stays as is, looks pretty top-heavy. With that being said, I'd be happy with any of Cory Littleton, Joe Schobert, Nick Kwiatkowski, Blake Martinez, or David Mayo before the draft.
The LB classes in general are top heavy but the draft has better promise for the underrated dudes imho. I think we need a vet like Schobert and draft a guy in the 4th if we can.
One LB we definitely should take a look at is Akeem Davis-Gaither. He flies under the radar due to not having the best length and coming from a weaker conference. However, his instincts seem off the chart, he's a great read and react guys in coverage, and he has really good athleticism. Plus, he really knows how to tackle. He doesn't head hunt or put everything into going for the ball letting the carrier easily juke or spin move move him. He properly breaksdown and wraps people up. In fact he's a tackling machine. Though the real highlight is his physicality and passion. He's a sparkplug for a defense, really igniting them and firing them up.

He has some promise from what I watched. I wouldn’t mind him depending on where we could get him. I do think we should wait until the third day for a LB if we can.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I think that’s the ticket honestly. If we can fill LB & DL in FA I think that would be huge for us. Getting Schobert and Campbell if possible would be massive in that it would solve two major issues and reduce needs considerably. I think the best strategy may be to focus on DEF in FA and build your offense in the draft this year with the talent available unless a crazy talent on defense falls to us.

The LB classes in general are top heavy but the draft has better promise for the underrated dudes imho. I think we need a vet like Schobert and draft a guy in the 4th if we can.

He has some promise from what I watched. I wouldn’t mind him depending on where we could get him. I do think we should wait until the third day for a LB if we can.

honestly if we dont get a guy early id be fine with us waiting until udfas to get a LB

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
honestly if we dont get a guy early id be fine with us waiting until udfas to get a LB
I guess the way I see it is you can have some gems there that are hidden with potential. Those are the kind of guys I think we would look at getting in that range. Likely those small school prospects because who thought Matt Judon our of Grand Valley State was this good? Or McPhee?

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I guess the way I see it is you can have some gems there that are hidden with potential. Those are the kind of guys I think we would look at getting in that range. Likely those small school prospects because who thought Matt Judon our of Grand Valley State was this good? Or McPhee?

if you're talking edge guys then absolutely agree - but a small school LB is likely going udfa anyway

there's lots of interesting smaller school hidden guys this year though:

Ben Bartch
Kindle Vildor
Aaron Parker
Kyle Dugger
Adam Trautman
Antonio Gandy-Golden

and then there's some lesser known D1 Talents too all over the place - havent found any at LB yet though tbf

rossihunter2

Staff Member
the deeper i delve into this class the more i realise just how much we're going to have to do in free agency pre-draft to fill needs - there's good players at positions of need but our biggest needs are not places in which the draft is deep - in fact at DL and IOL the depth is pretty scarce and EDGE is a bit of a muddle

we're going to have to do some work in free agency

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
the deeper i delve into this class the more i realise just how much we're going to have to do in free agency pre-draft to fill needs - there's good players at positions of need but our biggest needs are not places in which the draft is deep - in fact at DL and IOL the depth is pretty scarce and EDGE is a bit of a muddle

And just draft playmakers. It's the best way to go. They'll make s ok me moves but I think it's safe to bet were spending money on defense

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor

And just draft playmakers. It's the best way to go. They'll make s ok me moves but I think it's safe to bet were spending money on defense
I saw the same thing when looking at prospects. There’s talent for sure but it’s kinda top heavy and it’s so top heavy you worry that you can’t get them because other teams have similar needs. I think it’s pretty critical we address edge and IDL in FA or trade if we can swing it.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Yeah I’m all about that. Jaelen raegor and kj hamler are guys I see as fallback prospects, if we don’t see a guy at a big need position at 28 they are guys who should step in and make a big impact as playmakers in general. But they’re also needs.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
This draft makes me so goddamn mad, because I feel like at our pick in every round we’re gonna have so many players to choose from, and I so desperately wish we had like 2 more third rounders

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
This draft makes me so goddamn mad, because I feel like at our pick in every round we’re gonna have so many players to choose from, and I so desperately wish we had like 2 more third rounders
another in round two would go a long way

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
trade back territory potentially at every pick in the first 3 rounds
Rounds 1 and 2 I’d say so, round 3 is where the drop off begins I think, so I’d wanna go no later than 28.
another in round two would go a long way
Absolutely, that’s a hard pick to find though, when you’re picking all the way at 28th there just isn’t that much you can offer to get a 2. I’m a firm believer that Judon won’t get us a 2, and to use draft picks to get a 2 we’d have to get an offer from a pick rich team, we’d have to trade back well into 2, and probably give up day 3 picks to secure the 2. That last part id be ok with, but how far back we’d have to go makes me uncomfortable especially with our history in round 2.

maybe EDC is better at 2nd round picks, I sure as shit hope so.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
Rounds 1 and 2 I’d say so, round 3 is where the drop off begins I think, so I’d wanna go no later than 28.

Absolutely, that’s a hard pick to find though, when you’re picking all the way at 28th there just isn’t that much you can offer to get a 2. I’m a firm believer that Judon won’t get us a 2, and to use draft picks to get a 2 we’d have to get an offer from a pick rich team, we’d have to trade back well into 2, and probably give up day 3 picks to secure the 2. That last part id be ok with, but how far back we’d have to go makes me uncomfortable especially with our history in round 2.

maybe EDC is better at 2nd round picks, I sure as shit hope so.
My sense is that it will be a little uncomfortable for us as fans, sitting and waiting at the back end of round two. There are likely to be be a bunch of good players that fit us being picked off 1- 15 (and then some) . perhaps trading two 4's, assuming thats what it would take, to move up in round two might be necessary?

rossihunter2

Staff Member
ive started doing some of those mock draft simulator stuff and its telling me a lot with regards to what talent will be available at the end of the 1st with relation to my board - none of those "must-pick" talents are falling to 28 which makes it incredibly likely we're going to be trading at 28 - either trading up to go get one of the last upper eschelon guys available or we're going to be trading down because the difference in value between the guy who gets picked 28th and the guy who gets picked 48th is not going to be very big at all

value-wise unless one of the top 3 receivers is there at 28 there's no point picking a wr there because there's guys of equivalent value who will be available further down the board, likewise that's where the jumble of edge guys start and you'll be able to get a guy later in the 2nd who you might have picked anyway at 28, same with interior OL - we may have a 1st round grade on some of those IOL guys but they'll be available later

i think if we fall in love with a DL who's there at 28 might be the only reason we stick at that spot

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
ive started doing some of those mock draft simulator stuff and its telling me a lot with regards to what talent will be available at the end of the 1st with relation to my board - none of those "must-pick" talents are falling to 28 which makes it incredibly likely we're going to be trading at 28 - either trading up to go get one of the last upper eschelon guys available or we're going to be trading down because the difference in value between the guy who gets picked 28th and the guy who gets picked 48th is not going to be very big at all

value-wise unless one of the top 3 receivers is there at 28 there's no point picking a wr there because there's guys of equivalent value who will be available further down the board, likewise that's where the jumble of edge guys start and you'll be able to get a guy later in the 2nd who you might have picked anyway at 28, same with interior OL - we may have a 1st round grade on some of those IOL guys but they'll be available later

i think if we fall in love with a DL who's there at 28 might be the only reason we stick at that spot
Top 3? You wouldn't consider Higgins at 28? I would, make throws outside the numbers easier for Lamar with his catch radius. Back shoulder nightmare and cant really leave him 1on1. Gives us another redzone threat outside of Andrews

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

Disagree on the wr front.

there will not be any point in the draft where we can find a guy of jaelen raegors talent and fit.

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
Disagree on the wr front.

there will not be any point in the draft where we can find a guy of jaelen raegors talent and fit.
Honestly would've like Raegor to stay for one more year. I think someone's gonna get a steal with him on day 2. Didnt do himself many favors with lack of production in 2019 and how stacked this WR class is

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Top 3? You wouldn't consider Higgins at 28? I would, make throws outside the numbers easier for Lamar with his catch radius. Back shoulder nightmare and cant really leave him 1on1. Gives us another redzone threat outside of Andrews

mis-spoke i meant to write 4
it is interesting though that tee higgins is supposedly one of the players the media is much higher on than the league

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
mis-spoke i meant to write 4
it is interesting though that tee higgins is supposedly one of the players the media is much higher on than the league
That's surprising. I would've thought they'd covet his athleticism and ball skills, also Clemson WRs have worked out really well in the nfl so far.

Maybe they worry about his drops. But I'll take that with some of the catches hes able to make.