• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

Simba

Staff Member
When you order Lamar Jackson off of Wish

1702405942195.png

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
I love the Cunningham signing. Damn good starter at Louisville and I believe he started 3 yrs. Shocked he even didnt get drafted. Im wondering if Monken had a big say in this since he's been playing a wr role too.

QtR Nevermore

Pro Bowler
I wnder if te Cunningham signing is to get a look at him to see if he'll make an acceptable back up in 24? They've got so many needs, finding a QB2 without usin a draft pick would be a big help.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I wnder if te Cunningham signing is to get a look at him to see if he'll make an acceptable back up in 24? They've got so many needs, finding a QB2 without usin a draft pick would be a big help.
Pretty much. Tight salary cap, Huntley and Johnson are UFAs. Huntley can probably get better $ from somebody else, and Johnson/Cunningham can compete for backup job.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
It's truly time to extend Madubuike. No friggin way do we let him get away.
IF we were to extend him now, which I don't see happening, it would have to be a monstrous offer. Easily top 5 DTs paid, maybe top 2-3.

I don't think we really have the cap space to make that move now, nor do I see Mad signing an extension until he sees what the market bears.

Thezone27

Ravens Ring of Honor
IF we were to extend him now, which I don't see happening, it would have to be a monstrous offer. Easily top 5 DTs paid, maybe top 2-3.

I don't think we really have the cap space to make that move now, nor do I see Mad signing an extension until he sees what the market bears.
Out of Geno, Queen, and Mads, Mads is the one to sign. We have great safeties, and Geno is useful, but we can say bye. we already paid a linebacker, and we have Trenton Simpson for a reason. we need Mads, and if I was EDC i would pay him 20m/yr

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Out of Geno, Queen, and Mads, Mads is the one to sign. We have great safeties, and Geno is useful, but we can say bye. we already paid a linebacker, and we have Trenton Simpson for a reason. we need Mads, and if I was EDC i would pay him 20m/yr
Well I think the price may be more than $20M a year, but not a ton more. In reality, at these price points, AAV doesn't matter. All that matters is length of the deal and gtd $.

I will be highly interested to see how it plays out. I struggle to get to the math where we can franchise tag him, even though the FT value is going to be roughly market value I would think. I can't imagine we plan on carrying him at $20-21M against the cap next year in any scenario. Could be a possibility where we just make a big push to sign him in February, and if he hits the market, we just see what other teams are offering. The only "good thing" about FT is I think it'll be somewhat "easier" to get him signed to a long-term extension before the deadline, because I don't think there's a ton of risk of performance. Like if he plays great next year under the tag, I don't think his price tag goes up dramatically. The top of the DT market kind of is what it is.

However, keeping him on the FT for 3-4 months is going to massively hamstring what we're able to do in the offseason in terms of FA and keeping players.

In addition, I'd like to know what the strategy is if he hits the market and we can't retain him. Do they pivot to Queen? My gut says no. I think they're resigned to letting Queen walk in either scenario.

Simba

Staff Member
We've got a lot of key free agents this year.

Madubuike is probably the top priority, and then after him, I'd put them into these groups:

Will probably fight to retain pending money:
Agholor/Beckham, Clowney/Van Noy, Darby, Harrison, Pierce, Zeitler

Cheaper guys for closer to the minimum maybe:
Dobbins, Maulet, Phillips, Simpson, Urban, Worley

Likely off to greener pastures:
Duvernay, Edwards, Huntley, Johnson, Queen, Stone, Ya-Sin, the other two of the slashes above

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

I didn't mean time wise. Just meant we can't let him get away.

Thezone27

Ravens Ring of Honor
We've got a lot of key free agents this year.

Madubuike is probably the top priority, and then after him, I'd put them into these groups:

Will probably fight to retain pending money:
Agholor/Beckham, Clowney/Van Noy, Darby, Harrison, Pierce, Zeitler

Cheaper guys for closer to the minimum maybe:
Dobbins, Maulet, Phillips, Simpson, Urban, Worley

Likely off to greener pastures:
Duvernay, Edwards, Huntley, Johnson, Queen, Stone, Ya-Sin, the other two of the slashes above
When i saw that I thought you were talking abt trenton Simpson lol

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Well I think the price may be more than $20M a year, but not a ton more. In reality, at these price points, AAV doesn't matter. All that matters is length of the deal and gtd $.

I will be highly interested to see how it plays out. I struggle to get to the math where we can franchise tag him, even though the FT value is going to be roughly market value I would think. I can't imagine we plan on carrying him at $20-21M against the cap next year in any scenario. Could be a possibility where we just make a big push to sign him in February, and if he hits the market, we just see what other teams are offering. The only "good thing" about FT is I think it'll be somewhat "easier" to get him signed to a long-term extension before the deadline, because I don't think there's a ton of risk of performance. Like if he plays great next year under the tag, I don't think his price tag goes up dramatically. The top of the DT market kind of is what it is.

However, keeping him on the FT for 3-4 months is going to massively hamstring what we're able to do in the offseason in terms of FA and keeping players.

In addition, I'd like to know what the strategy is if he hits the market and we can't retain him. Do they pivot to Queen? My gut says no. I think they're resigned to letting Queen walk in either scenario.
If you look at last years Javon Hargrave's structure, I believe that could be the way to go.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
This would suck if it happened :

this guy gets nothing right. He basically takes every rumor he heres and makes a video of it. The only one he was right on was Roquan Smiith and he had us getting him last offseason.

basically he throws spaghetti at a wall on every rumor and soon enough something will stick. I'm sure this is the same one that JLC mentioned. Monkin isn't going anywhere.