• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
My dream is to have my second favorite WR of all time come here.

Let me tell you something, and this is between me and you, I walk into a room and see Mike Evans and Kyle Hamilton???

CHOOOO CHOOOOOO
Do me a favor and spend the rest of this week in the Pit of Misery. You're allowed to leave on Saturday.

Simba

Staff Member
Madubuike is clearly in must keep status at this point. If you have to use the tag, you use the tag and deal with the consequences. Think we've shown we're generally pretty good at backfilling other positions with cheap veterans. We've been trying to develop an interior rusher for years and finally have. Simply cannot let him walk.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Madubuike is clearly in must keep status at this point. If you have to use the tag, you use the tag and deal with the consequences. Think we've shown we're generally pretty good at backfilling other positions with cheap veterans. We've been trying to develop an interior rusher for years and finally have. Simply cannot let him walk.

keep your stars
this team has let good players walk who were gonna get paid like great players
but you have to pay your great players

madubuike, roquan, hamilton is a spine you can build lots of great defences around

Simba

Staff Member
keep your stars

madubuike, roquan, hamilton is a spine you can build lots of great defences around
Can't be scared of the money either. I'd much rather have Madubuike and a host of cheaper veterans than say, Van Noy and Zeitler at the end of the line. Not that those losses won't be felt to some extent, but I'd rather do that dance than have to try to draft and develop an interior rusher than can get double digit sacks. Those guys don't grow on trees.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
Madibuike, to me, is similar to Vic Beasley 2016 where he had these eye popping stats and really jumped off the stat sheet, but advanced analytics basically said it's unsustainable and it proved to be true.

Madubuike has benefited a lot from playing rookie/backup lineman, Mike McDonald's scheme, and a high effort motor.

Someone shared every sack that Madibuike has gotten on the season and some are eye popping, wow sacks where he just dominates. But a lot are ones like the Rams where the coverage held up for so long and the lineman just... stopped blocking Madibuike. Or against the Titans where Clowney flushed Willis out right into the path of Madubuike.

I'd be a lot more concerned about losing Madibuike if literally every defensive lineman and every starting linebacker didn't have a sack. Guys like Clowney and Van Noy were picked up off the streets incredibly late and are having great years as pass rushers, with Van Noy not even coming in until October.

Ultimately, I think Madibuike is one of those guys you'd normally love to sign and keep around, but the Ravens cap is in an incredibly unfavorable spot and they have tons of free agents at critical positions and I don't think they can afford to break the bank for someone who may or may not be heavily benefitting from the scheme he's in.

Really wish he did this last year so we could get more confirmation this year.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Madibuike, to me, is similar to Vic Beasley 2016 where he had these eye popping stats and really jumped off the stat sheet, but advanced analytics basically said it's unsustainable and it proved to be true.

Madubuike has benefited a lot from playing rookie/backup lineman, Mike McDonald's scheme, and a high effort motor.

Someone shared every sack that Madibuike has gotten on the season and some are eye popping, wow sacks where he just dominates. But a lot are ones like the Rams where the coverage held up for so long and the lineman just... stopped blocking Madibuike. Or against the Titans where Clowney flushed Willis out right into the path of Madubuike.

I'd be a lot more concerned about losing Madibuike if literally every defensive lineman and every starting linebacker didn't have a sack. Guys like Clowney and Van Noy were picked up off the streets incredibly late and are having great years as pass rushers, with Van Noy not even coming in until October.

Ultimately, I think Madibuike is one of those guys you'd normally love to sign and keep around, but the Ravens cap is in an incredibly unfavorable spot and they have tons of free agents at critical positions and I don't think they can afford to break the bank for someone who may or may not be heavily benefitting from the scheme he's in.

the thing about madubuike this year is that while a lot of the sacks have been clean-ups
he's also had a bunch of pressures and showcased high-quality pass rush traits with his bend etc. doesnt look to be anything unsustainable about the way he's getting pressures or qb hits - the sack numbers are higher for sure than maybe what they would be in another year - but i look at brandon thorn's true sack score and still see a guy who should be close to 10 sacks still... 7+ sacks from the interior and a bunch of pressures is still highly valuable...

dexter lawrence, quinnen williams and jeffrey simmons who all got paid this offseason are all below 6 sacks on the year - dont think any of their teams have too many regrets about paying out either

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
the thing about madubuike this year is that while a lot of the sacks have been clean-ups
he's also had a bunch of pressures and showcased high-quality pass rush traits with his bend etc. doesnt look to be anything unsustainable about the way he's getting pressures or qb hits - the sack numbers are higher for sure than maybe what they would be in another year - but i look at brandon thorn's true sack score and still see a guy who should be close to 10 sacks still... 7+ sacks from the interior and a bunch of pressures is still highly valuable...

dexter lawrence, quinnen williams and jeffrey simmons who all got paid this offseason are all below 6 sacks on the year - dont think any of their teams have too many regrets about paying out either
I can't speak to Simmons, but Williams and Lawrence are more consistently disruptive while being way better run defenders.

Lawrence especially is such an anomaly. He's basically Michael Pierce if Pierce could generate pressures on the level of Aaron Donald. A man that big should not be generating pressure at the level he is.

Again, just think this is a situation where the box score is inflated too much to break the bank in a year where the Ravens are very pinched on cap with many needs.

Edit: do you know how many pressures he has on how many pass rush snaps? I can't find that number. Best I can find is ESPN pass rush win rate where he isn't top 20, so it doesn't give information.

Last edited:

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
keep your stars

I don't see how we can afford to sign him long term. Seems like a lock for the franchise tag

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
don't think we will be able to use the tag, but we definitely should extend him and I think we will.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

I said this early in the year where he wasn't getting the pressures to go along with the sacks, but that has changed and his win rate and prp is much much better and has improved thoughout the year.

He is 4th in Pass Rush Productivity at 8.7%, right behind Chris Jones at 9.0. (min snaps 20% of 450)
He is 13th in Win Rate with a 14.1%. (min snaps 20% of 481)

clean up sacks happen all the time and yes Vic Beasley had a ton of them, but this is different and it's not commong for interior pass rushers to get double digit sacks and almost every game. It's not like he had a lot in one game. I would like to see his run defense improve as he's only average in that regard and the last few games haven't been good.

Last edited:

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I can't speak to Simmons, but Williams and Lawrence are more consistently disruptive while being way better run defenders.

Lawrence especially is such an anomaly. He's basically Michael Pierce if Pierce could generate pressures on the level of Aaron Donald. A man that big should not be generating pressure at the level he is.

Again, just think this is a situation where the box score is inflated too much to break the bank in a year where the Ravens are very pinched on cap with many needs.

Edit: do you know how many pressures he has on how many pass rush snaps? I can't find that number. Best I can find is ESPN pass rush win rate where he isn't top 20, so it doesn't give information.

problem is lots of different places have different numbers on pressures so hard to get a definitive number
seen pfr with madubuike with 1 pressure which feels wrong given i saw at least 2 on broadcast and have seen some people having him with as many as 6 from last night

seen brandon thorn with him at 311 pass rush snaps through 11 weeks - not got any update since though
also seen others quoting with 51 pressures up to week 14...

projecting based on those stats we're looking at a pressure at a rate of one pressure per 8 rushes - but idk how that would map onto pass rush win rate which is obviously a different metric (wins dont always equal pressures)

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
problem is lots of different places have different numbers on pressures so hard to get a definitive number
seen pfr with madubuike with 1 pressure which feels wrong given i saw at least 2 on broadcast and have seen some people having him with as many as 6 from last night

seen brandon thorn with him at 311 pass rush snaps through 11 weeks - not got any update since though
also seen others quoting with 51 pressures up to week 14...

projecting based on those stats we're looking at a pressure at a rate of one pressure per 8 rushes - but idk how that would map onto pass rush win rate which is obviously a different metric (wins dont always equal pressures)
PFF has 57 pressures (6 last night) and 20 pressures over the last 3 weeks.

Here is the win rate ... He is 13th in Win Rate with a 14.1%. (min snaps 20% of 481)

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor

That 13th number tells me he is getting a lot of coverage sacks. It also probably explains why every single pass rusher is having their best year. Van Noy should not be having a career year. Clowney is having a career year. Basically if you are a Ravens pass rusher you are having your best year yet. The fact that everyone is looking good tells me that it probably has a lot to do with coverage.

I would rather keep the coverage unit together and draft some young cheap guys who would seemingly be able to continue to get sacks because NFL players who had no job coming into the season were able to look great.