• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
problem is lots of different places have different numbers on pressures so hard to get a definitive number
seen pfr with madubuike with 1 pressure which feels wrong given i saw at least 2 on broadcast and have seen some people having him with as many as 6 from last night

seen brandon thorn with him at 311 pass rush snaps through 11 weeks - not got any update since though
also seen others quoting with 51 pressures up to week 14...

projecting based on those stats we're looking at a pressure at a rate of one pressure per 8 rushes - but idk how that would map onto pass rush win rate which is obviously a different metric (wins dont always equal pressures)

PFF has 57 pressures (6 last night) and 20 pressures over the last 3 weeks.

Here is the win rate ... He is 13th in Win Rate with a 14.1%. (min snaps 20% of 481)
My worry is he's converting over 20% of his pressures into sacks and as pointed out by Adreme- a lot feel like coverage sacks.

The league average for pressures into sacks, from what I found looking up Vic Beasley, sits around 14%. Depending on the number you use, that's sitting almost 10% over average.

I could be totally wrong and Madibuike could have turned the corner at the right time (no pun intended), but an unusually high pressure to sack rate, a lot of coverage sacks, and career years for like every single front seven pass rusher has me wary.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
That 13th number tells me he is getting a lot of coverage sacks. It also probably explains why every single pass rusher is having their best year. Van Noy should not be having a career year. Clowney is having a career year. Basically if you are a Ravens pass rusher you are having your best year yet. The fact that everyone is looking good tells me that it probably has a lot to do with coverage.

I would rather keep the coverage unit together and draft some young cheap guys who would seemingly be able to continue to get sacks because NFL players who had no job coming into the season were able to look great.

so why arent oweh or pierce or washington all dominating
not saying that the scheme isnt helping madubuike out... but there's a lot more than just that to his success - we've struggled to get sacks from the interior for years - seems odd that people are discounting what we're getting there now

rossihunter2

Staff Member
My worry is he's converting over 20% of his pressures into sacks and as pointed out by Adreme- a lot feel like coverage sacks.

The league average for pressures into sacks, from what I found looking up Vic Beasley, sits around 14%. Depending on the number you use, that's sitting almost 10% over average.

I could be totally wrong and Madibuike could have turned the corner at the right time (no pun intended), but an unusually high pressure to sack rate, a lot of coverage sacks, and career years for like every single front seven pass rusher has me wary.

even if you adjust for average conversion rates
you're still looking at an IDL with 6 sacks through 15 weeks which is still a very high number - also doesnt affect his pressures

you can also just watch the film and see some of the things he can do with the way he bends and there's no way that's replaceable

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
I wonder how much of it is Ronnie being done and how much is it him going against some really good pass rushers this year. I feel like we faced a lot of really good edge guys. I do think there’s a combo here where part of it is Ronnie lacks maybe some of his mobility but he looks like he lacks some of that confidence which is why I think he’s had the penalties he’s had. I think it’s also that we faced some really really good pass rushers too. No doubt we need to begin planning for Stanley as a replacement but I can’t imagine where that falls.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
I wonder how much of it is Ronnie being done and how much is it him going against some really good pass rushers this year. I feel like we faced a lot of really good edge guys. I do think there’s a combo here where part of it is Ronnie lacks maybe some of his mobility but he looks like he lacks some of that confidence which is why I think he’s had the penalties he’s had. I think it’s also that we faced some really really good pass rushers too. No doubt we need to begin planning for Stanley as a replacement but I can’t imagine where that falls.
Hard to play confident on one leg against these maniacs.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
not saying that the scheme isnt helping madubuike out... but there's a lot more than just that to his success - we've struggled to get sacks from the interior for years - seems odd that people are discounting what we're getting there now
2/3 names you mentioned have never been pass rushing guys. You didn’t bring them in to be that so no scheme is going to make them that. Maybe it is just a coincidence that JM is having his success at the same time a bunch of other pass rushers on the team are all having career years.

I just think it’s more likely the coverage is creating these opportunities so keeping that together is more important. I get the feeling he is going to get paid like he will be a 12-16 sack a year guy when he probably is in the 7-11 a year group for the next 5 years. 7-11 is still a very good player but not for the money he gets.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
even if you adjust for average conversion rates
you're still looking at an IDL with 6 sacks through 15 weeks which is still a very high number - also doesnt affect his pressures

you can also just watch the film and see some of the things he can do with the way he bends and there's no way that's replaceable
I don't disagree that he's a productive player and he's having a really good year. I just don't see him as this All Pro, DPOY, can't miss, must have player. I think that he makes the Ravens better and that he's great to have, but I don't think the Ravens are in a position to shell out for him.

Simba

Staff Member
Spent years watching guys not quite get there and now we have a guy that can actually finish and there are questions. I certainly get the concern that it's happening in a contract year and we don't have a long track record that helps us feel more comfortable, but it's 100% a "risk" worth taking to me. Even if he regresses back to an 8 sack type of guy I'd be cool with that.

Sooky

Pro Bowler
Why does paying Washington over Madibuike feel like paying Brandon Williams over Michael Pierce all over again?

redrum52

Hall of Famer
Why does paying Washington over Madibuike feel like paying Brandon Williams over Michael Pierce all over again?
They tried paying both. Washington accepted and Justin declined.

I'd pay him. DL already weak and he's an ascending player. He's improved each year.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
The tag is impossible. There is not really a way to make a tag work without having no one to play defense.
lol Tag is definitely possible through restructures and extensions. Tag will be roughly 19-20 million, any long term deal he signs is going to be in the 22-25 million annual range. Cutting Stanley post 6/1 saves us 15 million alone , we’ll be fine