• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
Exactly. Lamar was our guy. I can’t understand at all why we took hurst over him, but it’s very obvious that we were in on him.

bill polian should be appreciated by ravens fans, I don’t think Lamar is anywhere close to our pick if he didn’t talk out of his ass.

Nah, Polian can go fuck himself. Any GM out there who is listening to that moron needs to reevaluate his career choice.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
A blast from the past..... Ed Reed, just in case you didn't know

I’m glad the world has wised up by now, during their heydays it seemed the debate was always Ed reed vs whatever big safety at the time, Troy, Dawkins, sanders, all great safeties, but fuck man there was even a time people threw Roy Williams into the debate with Ed.

Now though it’s not a question whether Ed was better than any of these guys, the question is basically Ed reed or Ronnie Lott? Seems to lean heavy towards Lott for fans, but I think the people will come around lol

JAAM

Hall of Famer

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
I’m glad the world has wised up by now, during their heydays it seemed the debate was always Ed reed vs whatever big safety at the time, Troy, Dawkins, sanders, all great safeties, but fuck man there was even a time people threw Roy Williams into the debate with Ed.

Now though it’s not a question whether Ed was better than any of these guys, the question is basically Ed reed or Ronnie Lott? Seems to lean heavy towards Lott for fans, but I think the people will come around lol

Lott and Reed played vastly different from each other. Hard to really say

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Lott and Reed played vastly different from each other. Hard to really say
People argue it anyway. The way I always looked at it is I just ask which player I’d rather have on my team. Not having seen Lott, but knowing that Ed reeds value goes way beyond just pick sixes, and knowing just how much he altered every gameplan, I just can’t put anyone above him, I can’t imagine another safety being on Ed reeds level.

I feel like it’s easier to argue other LBs over ray Lewis than it is to argue other safeties over Ed reed.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Flag football squad got a win last night! So the team was essentially a group of castoff kids, a 4 team league and 3 of the teams were made up of the rec leagues actual football team in that age group, our team was all the leftovers basically, none of them have ever played together and of 11 kids only 4 of them had ever played sports before, and then the rules change every week based on who’s reffing, it’s a mess, so it’s been an uphill battle just to get a win, but the last game of the season we pulled it off!

really wanted a win for these boys, they played their hearts out all but 2 games, every other game there were little things here and there that cost us wins, they would beat themselves up about it, the refs turned a tie into a loss when they let the opponent snap the ball well after the clock hit zero and also let them run the play with a kid 5 yards offside. Yesterday playing a real football team the refs let the opponent tackle, lead block, all that shit, it was insane. So getting this win was not easy lol.

the boys did it though and I’ve been happy as shit ever since and can’t wait to coach again!

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

I absolutely believe it's between Ed Reed or Ronnie Lott and you don't have pick one either. They played in different eras both were GOAT. There is a great argument for both of them to be the best, if you have to pick one. Ronnie Lott played CB, FS and SS in his career. He moved from CB to FS in his 5th season.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
People argue it anyway. The way I always looked at it is I just ask which player I’d rather have on my team. Not having seen Lott, but knowing that Ed reeds value goes way beyond just pick sixes, and knowing just how much he altered every gameplan, I just can’t put anyone above him, I can’t imagine another safety being on Ed reeds level.

I feel like it’s easier to argue other LBs over ray Lewis than it is to argue other safeties over Ed reed.
Lott was the same, totally altered every game plan. If I had to have one, I'd probably take Ed Reed also, but I don't think one is better than the other.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Flag football squad got a win last night! So the team was essentially a group of castoff kids, a 4 team league and 3 of the teams were made up of the rec leagues actual football team in that age group, our team was all the leftovers basically, none of them have ever played together and of 11 kids only 4 of them had ever played sports before, and then the rules change every week based on who’s reffing, it’s a mess, so it’s been an uphill battle just to get a win, but the last game of the season we pulled it off!

really wanted a win for these boys, they played their hearts out all but 2 games, every other game there were little things here and there that cost us wins, they would beat themselves up about it, the refs turned a tie into a loss when they let the opponent snap the ball well after the clock hit zero and also let them run the play with a kid 5 yards offside. Yesterday playing a real football team the refs let the opponent tackle, lead block, all that shit, it was insane. So getting this win was not easy lol.

the boys did it though and I’ve been happy as shit ever since and can’t wait to coach again!
sounds like you had to deal with a total mess. Congratulations on your win. Now you need to go into the offseason, find out what you need and have a good draft :lol:, but more importantly get some consistency from the refs.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Wasn’t Lott more physically dominant?
yes, he was much more physical. Definitely played the game different. He also played in different times, under different rules. Nowadays the rules favor the offense.

I watched both players a lot. Still remember his battles in games vs the Giants, Redskins and Cowboys.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

nothing more satisfying than seeing kids take on adversity and overcome it with each other - especially when they put in a ton of effort

it can be as simple as learning a new skill or as complex as actually being successful and winning in a competitive environment - but it's always very satisfying to see and experience as a coach

it's energising

i've been teaching/coaching kids for 10 years now and i dont think ill ever stop

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I absolutely believe it's between Ed Reed or Ronnie Lott and you don't have pick one either. They played in different eras both were GOAT. There is a great argument for both of them to be the best, if you have to pick one. Ronnie Lott played CB, FS and SS in his career. He moved from CB to FS in his 5th season.
One could also argue Ed reed won DROY as a SS and more pro bowl seasons there back when SS was a defined role, and is also one of the all time elite special teams players, including block teams and as a returner, and then went on to have a slam dunk HOF career as a single high FS.

Ed reed may have been every bit as versatile

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
nothing more satisfying than seeing kids take on adversity and overcome it with each other - especially when they put in a ton of effort

it can be as simple as learning a new skill or as complex as actually being successful and winning in a competitive environment - but it's always very satisfying to see and experience as a coach

it's energising

i've been teaching/coaching kids for 10 years now and i dont think ill ever stop
Oh man i won’t stop, I’m definitely doing it again, I think I was happier for those kids than they were lol. I’ve been waiting so long to give it a shot and I finally did and it’s definitely the first time I’ve had some constructive extracurricular stuff that I really want to commit to. This is worth my free time and energy without question.

can’t wait to graduate to tackle football, I think I’m gonna take on another season of flag before I try that though.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
sounds like you had to deal with a total mess. Congratulations on your win. Now you need to go into the offseason, find out what you need and have a good draft :lol:, but more importantly get some consistency from the refs.
We had a ref that spent the whole game looking at his phone, it was a disgrace. But thanks! I’m still riding high on it lol

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
We had a ref that spent the whole game looking at his phone, it was a disgrace. But thanks! I’m still riding high on it lol
that is absolutely a disgrace and I'm hoping someone says something about it. You certainly don't need a ref who has no interest.