• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Obviously very early and making some assumptions here based on a small sample size, but we could get a nice draft class after all.

Rashod Bateman - unknown until he gets off of IR, but obvious starter at some point
Odafe Oweh - future starter and potential star
Ben Cleveland - potential starter in the future
Brandon Stephens - likely starter in the future with lots of room to grow
Tylan Wallace - rotational piece for the time being
Daelin Hayes - rotational piece for the time being

Yeah missing on Wade and Mason sucks but I'll take those contributions from the top 6 guys. Oweh and Stephens already look like they're going to be key players for us as soon as this season and we still have at least 2 more (Bateman and Cleveland) that are likely to get a similar opportunity as the season goes on.

i think tylan's the one of those 6 who'll have the hardest time contributing beyond special teams

i think jaylon ferguson was involved in at least one of those burnt timeouts yesterday and has also not flashed at all so far - hayes is coming of that thigh injury and is practicing and with how he's done on special teams in preseason i've got to think that he might replace ferguson on the gameday actives at some point in the near future

and dont forget ardarius washington

Simba

Staff Member
i think tylan's the one of those 6 who'll have the hardest time contributing beyond special teams

i think jaylon ferguson was involved in at least one of those burnt timeouts yesterday and has also not flashed at all so far - hayes is coming of that thigh injury and is practicing and with how he's done on special teams in preseason i've got to think that he might replace ferguson on the gameday actives at some point in the near future

and dont forget ardarius washington

Yeah Ferguson doesn't have a role right now honestly. Showed well in the preseason and I wouldn't cut bait just yet with how many roster spots we have open, but Hayes should be active on gamedays once he gets healthy.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Yeah Ferguson doesn't have a role right now honestly. Showed well in the preseason and I wouldn't cut bait just yet with how many roster spots we have open, but Hayes should be active on gamedays once he gets healthy.

if he's not gonna play a ton then have hayes active who's gonna be better on special teams and maybe offer something slightly different

ferguson right now feels like mcphee insurance at the moment in terms of their role - some running down rush LB

Simba

Staff Member
if he's not gonna play a ton then have hayes active who's gonna be better on special teams and maybe offer something slightly different

ferguson right now feels like mcphee insurance at the moment in terms of their role - some running down rush LB

Honestly not even sure McPhee provides much for us going forward. Kinda wish they hadn't guaranteed that contract.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Honestly not even sure McPhee provides much for us going forward. Kinda wish they hadn't guaranteed that contract.

he definitely provides something in the running game and if he's kept fresh and able to give us a game like the 2020 titans playoff game then he's worth it - he's stout and trustworthy and also can eat space inside and im not sure we've got an obvious OLB who can rush on the interior effectively like mcphee or ZDS

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
We have so few "easy" games. Obviously it's still early and things change for a lit of reasons, but it looks tough out there. Only easier games I see are:

DET
MIA
CHI
MIN

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor

It's gfood to see young guys like Queen,Mads and OO step up but this is depth that hasn't been overly used yet and a fresh set of legs like McPhee's could prove invaluable later in the year.

We have so few "easy" games. Obviously it's still early and things change for a lit of reasons, but it looks tough out there. Only easier games I see are:

DET
MIA
CHI
MIN

Any given Sunday bro. There is no easy games.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

DET
MIA
CHI
MIN

we always knew it was a tough schedule

no idea how good the broncos actually are yet but i guess we'll find out soon
the colts potentially without wentz (or even with wentz) might not be that good either

but yeah this schedule is heavily back-loaded with division games and tough matchups

JO_75

Hall of Famer

DET
MIA
CHI
MIN

the colts potentially without wentz (or even with wentz) might not be that good either

but yeah this schedule is heavily back-loaded with division games and tough matchups

Now that we beat the Chiefs, Home Field advantage and the Bye week is well within reach if we can survive the rough part of the schedule toward the end of the year. The Raiders may be without Derek Carr and Marcus Mariota leaving them Nathan Peterman this week, Colts without Wentz. We got to take advantage of the "easy" part of the schedule because it's still any given Sunday so nothing is truly easy. We just got to take care of business like we did in 2019... keep winning and let the standings/seeding sort itself out.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Now that we beat the Chiefs, Home Field advantage and the Bye week is well within reach if we can survive the rough part of the schedule toward the end of the year. The Raiders may be without Derek Carr and Marcus Mariota leaving them Nathan Peterman this week, Colts without Wentz. We got to take advantage of the "easy" part of the schedule because it's still any given Sunday so nothing is truly easy. We just got to take care of business like we did in 2019... keep winning and let the standings/seeding sort itself out.

that is getting way ahead of ourselves lol - we gotta deal with detroit first

UPennChem

Hall of Famer

Yeah it's really seeming pretty obvious to me that more so than usual, how the season will be judged for every team in the AFC North will come down to the internal blood bath between each of these teams. It might be hard to get even 4 divisional wins for any team. Seriously doubt we're going to be 2019 dominant down the stretch so we need to take care of business against our division rivals and just try and lock up the division.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
It’s gonna be REALLY interesting to see how wink progresses from here on out. I think last night we saw the most growth and evolution we’ve ever seen from a ravens coordinator. With John harbaugh at the helm we have seen some very frustrating stubbornness in the coaching philosophies, but last night we FINALLY saw the exact changes in scheme that were needed. Sure we needed to tackle better, but we rushed four and ran shells most of the night, we tried to play chess and come out swinging in the second half, it failed, and we got back to what was working, our blitz was infrequent, subtle, and wisely called, except for that one ugly drive coming out of the half. We saw Roman abandon the run early and immediately realize we are just not being “us” and we adjusted before it was too late, a big breath of fresh air from this coaching staff.

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor
After watching the first two games I will say that losing Marcus Peters is by far our biggest problem. The D is giving up too many big plays.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
After watching the first two games I will say that losing Marcus Peters is by far our biggest problem. The D is giving up too many big plays.
Well, sort of. I'm not sure the big plays (at least in the KC game) are a product of not having Peters, considering most of the big plays the Chiefs had were YAC after relatively short/intermediate throws in coverage areas that typically wouldn't be where Peters was. From my perspective, the biggest issues with the linebacking/secondary is tackling and reducing YAC at this point. Even in the Raiders game, there was plenty of that. I think losing Elliott definitely hurt us in that regards against KC, and to a certain extend, losing Peters did as well.

But ultimately, they're going to have to learn how to play without him.

The good news, at least on paper, is that we played three straight games against teams that I would consider to have below average offenses in this league.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor

I don't think Denver is that good. They're going to start 3-0, because they played the Giants, Jets and Jags. It doesn't get much more favorable in terms of an opening month than that. Defensively they're pretty good, but I see that offense struggling to score mightily against better teams.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
I don't think Denver is that good. They're going to start 3-0, because they played the Giants, Jets and Jags. It doesn't get much more favorable in terms of an opening month than that. Defensively they're pretty good, but I see that offense struggling to score mightily against better teams.
I just watched den whole game sunday cause i had money on them and man i agree with you 1000%