• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I’m wondering about ages here when it comes to that discussion… I’d venture to say the younger fans (between 20-25, maybe 30) would definitely go for Andrews, while the older fans would go for Heap. Obviously that could be off due to recency bias
I’m 30 and been watching the ravens since Kyle boller days, I saw heap play and I don’t think he had a fraction of the skill and mental acuity that andrews has, and he’s also not nearly the athlete or competitor he is.

Heap did have incredible hands, toughness at the catch point, and highpoint ability, I’d argue andrews has all the same, though heap is clearly the bigger bull between the two, I think andrews is just superior in every other way.

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
I’m 30 and been watching the ravens since Kyle boller days, I saw heap play and I don’t think he had a fraction of the skill and mental acuity that andrews has, and he’s also not nearly the athlete or competitor he is.

Heap did have incredible hands, toughness at the catch point, and highpoint ability, I’d argue andrews has all the same, though heap is clearly the bigger bull between the two, I think andrews is just superior in every other way.

A fraction of skill Andrews has? Um, you must forget how good he really was when he was healthy. Was he as good as Andrews? No, but most TE's aren't. But to say he didn't have even a fraction of his skills is like saying Steve Smith didn't have a fraction of skill as Mason, which is completely wrong.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
A fraction of skill Andrews has? Um, you must forget how good he really was when he was healthy. Was he as good as Andrews? No, but most TE's aren't. But to say he didn't have even a fraction of his skills is like saying Steve Smith didn't have a fraction of skill as Mason, which is completely wrong.
I would never say that about mason lol, mason is my #1 ravens receiver all time. And not a fraction of the talent was an exaggeration but honestly I don’t think heap really comes that close to andrews, but then again heap didn’t play with Lamar Jackson

JAAM

Hall of Famer

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
My all-time favorite TE is Antonio Gates, and my all-time favorite RB is LT... I loved those late 2000's Chargers

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
and that says a lot with players like Heap in our history.
Love Pitta, shame about his hip, would have been a really great player if he could stay healthy.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
Heap was an old school tight end and played the role well. Andrews seems so much more athletic. I always wondered what Heap's true potential was had he not played all those years with shit QBs.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
I’m wondering about ages here when it comes to that discussion… I’d venture to say the younger fans (between 20-25, maybe 30) would definitely go for Andrews, while the older fans would go for Heap. Obviously that could be off due to recency bias

I am 31.

Going with Andrews

JAAM

Hall of Famer
My all-time favorite TE is Antonio Gates, and my all-time favorite RB is LT... I loved those late 2000's Chargers
Man they were fun as hell to watch and play with in Madden lol

JAAM

Hall of Famer
I am 31.

Going with Andrews
I'm also 31 but Heap will always have a special place in my heart lol, but I can see why folks would say Mark

Tank

Hall of Famer
Mark is more the modern prototype TE, kind of a hybrid WR. Definitely the best receiver we have had the past 4 years.

Heap was a beast of a TE, and IMO had the best hands of any TE or WR we've had. He often got hung out to dry with funeral passes, but would almost always make the catch. Often wondered what drove him to continually take the abuse. lol His last 3 or 4 years were tough as he was pretty beat up at that point.