• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
not every coach is fired for failing lol...
I mean I think most HC's are fired for "failing". I suppose there might be a few that failed for like being alcoholics or something, but that's fairly rare.

Like even Andy Reid got fired for "failing". He failed to make the playoffs his last two years in Philly, and hadn't won a playoff game in 4 years. It's not like colossal failure, but its failure, based on whatever the expectations were.

Coordinators and assistants routinely get fired no matter how good or bad they were. They're pretty much tied to the person that hired them. If Harbaugh gets fired, pretty good chance Roman and MacDonald are getting fired too, regardless of how good or bad they've been.

But I agree there's really no such thing as hiring a HC, coordinator, or assistant, who hasn't been fired for some sort of "failure" in their past. Otherwise you're just hiring somebody with basically no coaching experience at all. Basically just hire like Matt Birk to coach the team.

drjohnnyfever

Pro Bowler
Do you know what it means to be deliberately obtuse?

So I'm stupid for thinking that the coaches who were failures for their teams to the point of being fired, were failures as coaches? No sir, do you know the definition of deliberately obtuse?

not every coach is fired for failing lol...

90% of coaches are fired for some degree of failure... or they move on because the firing is coming. But if you look at failure from the perspective of an alternator belt on a car it rarely breaks requiring replacement, it just wears out and the tech at the garage finds it and replaces it.

There are a lot of "techs" here - and hopefully in the Ravens' FO - that think it's about time some of the "belts" on the Ravens' coaching staff were changed. How much of an overhaul occurs remains to be seen.

Ross thinks you replace the alternator, spark plugs, sparkalator wires, battery, all the fuses you can find... but that is an expensive proposition when you can switch out the damn frayed belt and see how the rest of the vehicle performs first to evaluate. If it runs as it should or better than before with the new belt you're done and there's no need for the other expensive changes. This convo is boring, tho.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
90% of coaches are fired for some degree of failure... or they move on because the firing is coming. But if you look at failure from the perspective of an alternator belt on a car it rarely breaks requiring replacement, it just wears out and the tech at the garage finds it and replaces it.

There are a lot of "techs" here - and hopefully in the Ravens' FO - that think it's about time some of the "belts" on the Ravens' coaching staff were changed. How much of an overhaul occurs remains to be seen.

Ross thinks you replace the alternator, spark plugs, sparkalator wires, battery, all the fuses you can find... but that is an expensive proposition when you can switch out the damn frayed belt and see how the rest of the vehicle performs first to evaluate. If it runs as it should or better than before with the new belt you're done and there's no need for the other expensive changes. This convo is boring, tho.

Lol you’re putting words in my mouth…

When have I ever suggested we clean house?

drjohnnyfever

Pro Bowler
Lol you’re putting words in my mouth…

When have I ever suggested we clean house?
Hyperbole. ;)

But, you value players as easily replaceable - I think. They make mistakes. I accept that. But when different players make the same and similar mistakes consistently within a system, it isn't all them. Someone is coaching them. I start with that guy.

Belt change in lane 2, maybe lane 1 too.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I mean I think most HC's are fired for "failing". I suppose there might be a few that failed for like being alcoholics or something, but that's fairly rare.

Like even Andy Reid got fired for "failing". He failed to make the playoffs his last two years in Philly, and hadn't won a playoff game in 4 years. It's not like colossal failure, but its failure, based on whatever the expectations were.

Coordinators and assistants routinely get fired no matter how good or bad they were. They're pretty much tied to the person that hired them. If Harbaugh gets fired, pretty good chance Roman and MacDonald are getting fired too, regardless of how good or bad they've been.

But I agree there's really no such thing as hiring a HC, coordinator, or assistant, who hasn't been fired for some sort of "failure" in their past. Otherwise you're just hiring somebody with basically no coaching experience at all. Basically just hire like Matt Birk to coach the team.
Jeff Saturday was hired and never got fired from anywhere.

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
It's gonna suck watching Oweh suddenly produce and be a good end edge rusher the moment he's on another team.