• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
I didn't see this get brought up anywhere so against my better judgement I bring this to you.

Torrey Smith caught some heat for comments he made about Lamar Jackson being the biggest athlete to ever set foot in Baltimore.

What do ya'll think? He wylin? If so who is the biggest athlete to ever set foot here to you?

Tank

Hall of Famer
I didn't see this get brought up anywhere so against my better judgement I bring this to you.

Torrey Smith caught some heat for comments he made about Lamar Jackson being the biggest athlete to ever set foot in Baltimore.

What do ya'll think? He wylin? If so who is the biggest athlete to ever set foot here to you?
Johnny Unitas, Brooks Robinson, Cal Ripken, Ed Reed, Ray Lewis, etc., etc.. I think Torrey was high at the time he said this. lol

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
Johnny Unitas, Brooks Robinson, Cal Ripken, Ed Reed, Ray Lewis, etc., etc.. I think Torrey was high at the time he said this. lol

When you hear biggest athlete, what is your criteria?

Tank

Hall of Famer
When you hear biggest athlete, what is your criteria?
Most accomplished and talented athlete. The best. Maybe Torrey meant "recognizable name", which could be true, mainly because of the role of different types of media in play today.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
Most accomplished and talented athlete. The best. Maybe Torrey meant "recognizable name", which could be true, mainly because of the role of different types of media in play today.

That's how I understood it. Biggest in the sense of how popular and recognizable he is.

Bc even the guys you named don't touch Michael Phelps lol

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
No baseball player can carry the star power that a qb can carry, same goes for safeties and LBs.

Being the best athlete does not correlate with being the biggest athlete. Lamar isn’t the greatest ever at his position like ray or Ed, but he’s a qb, he’s box office, primetime, fireworks show kinda player, he’s must see tv in an era where we are drowning in media and entertainment.

No Baltimore athlete has drawn the attention that a guy like Lamar does. Qbs are different.

Tank

Hall of Famer
No baseball player can carry the star power that a qb can carry, same goes for safeties and LBs.

Being the best athlete does not correlate with being the biggest athlete. Lamar isn’t the greatest ever at his position like ray or Ed, but he’s a qb, he’s box office, primetime, fireworks show kinda player, he’s must see tv in an era where we are drowning in media and entertainment.

No Baltimore athlete has drawn the attention that a guy like Lamar does. Qbs are different.
IDK, baseball is huge elsewhere in the country, and in other parts of the world. And Cal's feat of 2,632 consecutive games while playing at a HOF level is unmatched anywhere anytime in sports. Different era though that you aren't as familiar with, and social media really wasn't a thing then.

That said, I get what you are saying.

RavenRockaRolla

Practice Squad

If Lamar Jackson had the Teammates that Flacco had. The athletes that read plays and were generally in position even when old, Lamar and Baltimore would have 2 SB's now. SIzzle, Ray, Ed, Haloti, Yanda, Rice, Boldin, Pitta all the guys I can't remember now. The offense would have been unstoppable.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
IDK, baseball is huge elsewhere in the country, and in other parts of the world. And Cal's feat of 2,632 consecutive games while playing at a HOF level is unmatched anywhere anytime in sports. Different era though that you aren't as familiar with, and social media really wasn't a thing then.

That said, I get what you are saying.

Those who paid attention to baseball knew and could appreciate what Cal did for the sport. In fact, I think I can make an argument that he did more for the sport than Sammy Sosa and Mark M.

That said, those names are bigger than him and brought more attention (before the steroids imo)

Tank

Hall of Famer
Those who paid attention to baseball knew and could appreciate what Cal did for the sport. In fact, I think I can make an argument that he did more for the sport than Sammy Sosa and Mark M.

That said, those names are bigger than him and brought more attention (before the steroids imo)
Steroids….uggghhhh. I just happened to be to be in Cooperstown with my family the day the story broke about Palmeiro.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
Steroids….uggghhhh. I just happened to be to be in Cooperstown with my family the day the story broke about Palmeiro.

As a kid during the 90s, I was glued to the TV. I understand people have strong feelings about that era but I could never forget what I experience.

I remember your boy Palmeiro pointing in court and saying he never did it PERIOD lol

Nurps

Ravens Ring of Honor
Leaving for South Africa in 10 days. Someone tell Lamar to fucking sign with us while I'm gone. Thats the news I want when we connect to Tampa in Newark on the 29th.

Tank

Hall of Famer
As a kid during the 90s, I was glued to the TV. I understand people have strong feelings about that era but I could never forget what I experience.

I remember your boy Palmeiro pointing in court and saying he never did it PERIOD lol
Brady Anderson went from hero to zero without roids. lol Don’t think he ever admitted it either.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
Brady Anderson went from hero to zero without roids. lol Don’t think he ever admitted it either.

Sammy Sosa's uniform looked tiny af when he played for the Orioles lol.

Brian Roberts name comes to mind, did he do something too?

Listen I wasn't mad at all, watching Roger Clemens (Yankees fan here so GET FUCKED) throw 99mph in the bottom of the 9th is still gold lmfao

JAAM

Hall of Famer

Tank

Hall of Famer
Sammy Sosa's uniform looked tiny af when he played for the Orioles lol.

Brian Roberts name comes to mind, did he do something too?

Listen I wasn't mad at all, watching Roger Clemens (Yankees fan here so GET FUCKED) throw 99mph in the bottom of the 9th is still gold lmfao
What I remember about Roberts is that he was a great glove at second and was injured like 40% of the time, and he finished his career with a team of a bunch of scrubs.