• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
IDK, baseball is huge elsewhere in the country, and in other parts of the world. And Cal's feat of 2,632 consecutive games while playing at a HOF level is unmatched anywhere anytime in sports. Different era though that you aren't as familiar with, and social media really wasn't a thing then.

That said, I get what you are saying.
i aint trippin boy, i play the corner like ripken boy, let the 40 cal rip ya boy- wayne

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I didn't see this get brought up anywhere so against my better judgement I bring this to you.

Torrey Smith caught some heat for comments he made about Lamar Jackson being the biggest athlete to ever set foot in Baltimore.

What do ya'll think? He wylin? If so who is the biggest athlete to ever set foot here to you?
For me, its semantics mostly. Lamar is the most popular today, because most of the "old guard" Ravens have retired and are out of the spotlight, and the Orioles haven't really had a generational type player since Ripken, so its been several decades.

Lamar is the most popular athlete in Baltimore currently. Nobody can deny that. But like 10-15 years from now (or sooner, if he's not around) he won't be. He's not going to transcend generations in terms of popularity.

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Johnny Unitas, Brooks Robinson, Cal Ripken, Ed Reed, Ray Lewis, etc., etc.. I think Torrey was high at the time he said this. lol
Don't forget Johnathan Ogden. Yeah, Torrey must have smoked that purple haze. lol

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Sammy Sosa's uniform looked tiny af when he played for the Orioles lol.

Brian Roberts name comes to mind, did he do something too?

Listen I wasn't mad at all, watching Roger Clemens (Yankees fan here so GET FUCKED) throw 99mph in the bottom of the 9th is still gold lmfao
NJ/NY born and raised here. So yeah! It's the Pinstripes of the "Evil Empire" until I die! :cool:
1680697632933.png

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
Sammy Sosa's uniform looked tiny af when he played for the Orioles lol.

Brian Roberts name comes to mind, did he do something too?

Listen I wasn't mad at all, watching Roger Clemens (Yankees fan here so GET FUCKED) throw 99mph in the bottom of the 9th is still gold lmfao

NJ/NY born and raised here. So yeah! It's the Pinstripes of the "Evil Empire" until I die! :cool:
View attachment 5024
Damn straight! We out here!

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
For me, its semantics mostly. Lamar is the most popular today, because most of the "old guard" Ravens have retired and are out of the spotlight, and the Orioles haven't really had a generational type player since Ripken, so its been several decades.

Lamar is the most popular athlete in Baltimore currently. Nobody can deny that. But like 10-15 years from now (or sooner, if he's not around) he won't be. He's not going to transcend generations in terms of popularity.
Vick is still the most popular falcon and likely will be for a while

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
Torrey was telling the truth though. lamar single handily brung new crowds of fans to bmore..

Fam I wish ya'll could see South Florida. You would have thought you were in Baltimore especially in Broward County

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Vick is still the most popular falcon and likely will be for a while
Yeah I don't think that's true at all. He might be popular among a certain demographic of like younger black adults, but most NFL fans under the age of 15-20 have little to no recollection of who Vick is.

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Torrey was telling the truth though. lamar single handily brung new crowds of fans to bmore..
I'm not disputing that not one bit cause I was in that number as a long-standing Ravens fan. I loved coming to M&T to watch Lamar do his thing. He made the offense exciting to watch. Now? It remains to be seen...

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
Yeah I don't think that's true at all. He might be popular among a certain demographic of like younger black adults, but most NFL fans under the age of 15-20 have little to no recollection of who Vick is.

Something I noticed, Vick who's career was before the social media age, has double the followers on twitter (small sample size) than Lamar Jackson. Tom Brady has 3 million to Vicks 2.6 million.

Just an observation in one realm that I made.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
He is the most popular atlanta falcon bro.. no way around it.. no matter how little knowledge you believe people to have, vic is the most popular falcon. Not even deion is close to him as far as popularity with falcons. It cant be julio or matt ryan cause all julio and ryan fans know for certain who mike vick is.. i dnt even think its close

Last edited: