• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

they don't have to be just as good. We need talent all around our defense, not just in one position.

Thats how the Patriots do it, all their defensive money is tied up in DBs. Their D line is Lawrence Guy, Danny Shelton, John Simon with Kyle Van Noy and Jamie Collins on the edges, so not exactly terrifying.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
\
Thats how the Patriots do it, all their defensive money is tied up in DBs. Their D line is Lawrence Guy, Danny Shelton, John Simon with Kyle Van Noy and Jamie Collins on the edges, so not exactly terrifying.
You don't see them spending two first round picks and then have to pay upwards of 17 to 20m for the cb to keep him. That would not only cause them have to cut some of those players you just mentioned, but it's something they wouldn't do.

\

You don't see them spending two first round picks and then have to pay upwards of 17 to 20m for the cb to keep him. That would not only cause them have to cut some of those players you just mentioned, but it's something they wouldn't do.

The Pats didnt need Ramsey, theyve already got a strong secondary and they have experienced signal callers. Thats why their defense is doing so well and ours isnt.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
The Pats didnt need Ramsey, theyve already got a strong secondary and they have experienced signal callers. Thats why their defense is doing so well and ours isnt.
if they didn't have gilmore they would never trade two 1st round picks.

I guarantee you our next 2 first round picks are not going to be as good as Ramsey
Well, I certainly hope those 2 first round picks will be solid contributors at current positions of need ... oh, and they'll be super cheap. Can't forget that. Especially since we're going to have to part with significant cash to nail down Stanley and Humphrey.

The hope is Peters plays well for us, regains his form with a new defense and new environment. If he fits and feels rejuvenate, we can keep him on a a rate that will leave room for us to pay Marlon who is going to be paid at a whole different level.

I personally am glad that we made the trade at the level we made.

The Pats may invest heavily in DBs, but I still don't think it makes sense to have 2 of the top 5 paid players at the same position on the same team, which is what we would have if we had Ramsey and Humphrey.

I've also not been a big fan of Ramsey's attitude. He's one of the best when he's comfortable and things are going well, but when something rubs him the wrong way ... well, I mean he is demanding to leave his current team because of something that was said. Also, last year when the team was not performing well, including the defense, his cocky trash talk turned to ripping his own players publicly and that sort of thing.

I don't know ... maybe everything would just go swimmingly and he'd be great, but giving up that haul for a guy who may just not get along and who you may not be able to sign long term ... that's a high risk trade.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
The Pats may invest heavily in DBs, but I still don't think it makes sense to have 2 of the top 5 paid players at the same position on the same team, which is what we would have if we had Ramsey and Humphrey.

I've also not been a big fan of Ramsey's attitude. He's one of the best when he's comfortable and things are going well, but when something rubs him the wrong way ... well, I mean he is demanding to leave his current team because of something that was said. Also, last year when the team was not performing well, including the defense, his cocky trash talk turned to ripping his own players publicly and that sort of thing.

I don't know ... maybe everything would just go swimmingly and he'd be great, but giving up that haul for a guy who may just not get along and who you may not be able to sign long term ... that's a high risk trade.
You’ve been harping on not paying multiple players in the same position group big money and I absolutely cannot understand it. Having an absolutely dominant unit on your team is basically essential to being a real contender and sometimes that take cap space to do. You can balance out the team after you get yourself a unit that is dominant enough to give you a chance every week.

If you pay market deals to 2 deserving edge rushers then you have a chance to fluster every qb you face and you always have a chance. If you sign 2 dominant cbs and shut down the outside pass and force ints by giving your safeties and LBs easy bait then you always have a chance. If you have a dominant run game then you always have a chance. If you have an elite qb and 2 elite receiving threats then you should have a chance.

I truly don’t understand this fear of paying 2 corners. After qb and LT it’s become essentially the most important position in football, so important that you basically have no shot at making a title run without at least one elite cb, one very good cb, and one quality nickel cb. If there was ANY position where I’d invest heavily into, it’s either OL or CB, and I’ll probably always feel that way. Also draft a db every year idc how good your secondary may be.

Im as happy as anyone with the value for Marcus Peters, we keep our picks and we shore up a position of need, Im not arguing against it and I think Peters can regain his form. All Im saying about Ramsey is if we had made that trade it would have worked for us as well, we'd all be cheering because he has proven game changing value and another 7 or so AP prime years.