• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

K-Dog

MVP
I thought I would post this on the random thought thread to ask a question? What is the team's official position on the number 19? I think Scott Mitchell was the only one to wear it, which kinda still bothers me, as not only was he a QB - he was the worst one in Ravens history. I know no one has worn it since, but I don't think that number has been officially retired. Do the Ravens just tell players, please don't pick that number as older Ravens fans will probably get upset with you? I guess they could get away with that for rookies, but not sure about future free agents. Can anyone shed some light on this. Thanks.

I have no source to back this up but I did read an article that 19 is unofficially retired in both Baltimore and Indianapolis ( ironically).

Safe to say you will never see 19, 20 and 52 on the field.
Well maybe not *never* but no time soon.

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
If we shut out the Browns ( which i think we can, as long as special teams or offense doesnt screw up) and the jags (with Bortles thats always possible) that would make 3 straight shutouts. Has that ever happened????

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
I think thats WAY to early to predict. Even the worst offenses in the NFL are usually good for a TD so predicting a shut out is way to early. Even today I have it at 20-7 Ravens and if it was 20-13 I could still say the defense played well.

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
I'm happy we drafted Humphrey, he got potential and is jimmy smith's insurance. But maaaan watching dalvin cook, he would have been exactly what we needed on offense.
I'm just hoping we trade up for saquon barkley in next year's draft, then I'll forget all about cook haha

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
I'm happy we drafted Humphrey, he got potential and is jimmy smith's insurance. But maaaan watching dalvin cook, he would have been exactly what we needed on offense.
I'm just hoping we trade up for saquon barkley in next year's draft, then I'll forget all about cook haha
I wouldnt mind "settling" for Darrius Guice. He fits our culture better i think too. Just has that chip on his shoulder

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
I wouldnt mind "settling" for Darrius Guice. He fits our culture better i think too. Just has that chip on his shoulder

I heard of him, never really saw him play though. How's his hands out the backfield? Joe flacco is at his best with a all purpose back who has great hands. That's why rice and woodhead (when he was in) was great for us. Joe "mr checkdown" flacco

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
I heard of him, never really saw him play though. How's his hands out the backfield? Joe flacco is at his best with a all purpose back who has great hands. That's why rice and woodhead (when he was in) was great for us. Joe "mr checkdown" flacco
Well he plays for LSU so its real hard to tell but from what ive seen he should be a good recieving back. He kinda reminds me ray rice just not as stocky

Edit: hes not as short. Hes listed 5'11 218 but i doubt that

Last edited:

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
If we shut out the Browns ( which i think we can, as long as special teams or offense doesnt screw up) and the jags (with Bortles thats always possible) that would make 3 straight shutouts. Has that ever happened????
Although I don't know if that has ever happened I do know that the skins had three straight hoke games in the 1991 season that were shutouts however they were game 1, 3 and 5. Scores 45-0, 34-0, 23-0. I suspect there has been three shutouts in a row but prior to the merger.

Truth

Staff Member
Administrator
I'm considering creating in-depth spreadsheets for our games detailing the offensive and defensive personnel, presumed coverage, intended play design and general notes of the outcome of each play and how they came to be. It would be a lengthy and comprehensive process, so I wanted to see if this would be of interest to anyone or whether it'd be too much information to go through. I could also do a more general overall breakdown and offer the in-depth breakdowns for key drives. Any thoughts?

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
As long as the information is put together in a readable and understandable format it would be an interesting read.

I always am hesitant about raw numbers because there are so many factors that go into deciding whether one player succeeds or fails on even a given play. For instance the amount that Suggs dominated was purely because they could not send help to his side and they could send that help because the DLine was do dominant that they had to just trust there tackles to handle outside pressure and they could not. How does one parse those numbers if the DLine isnt actually generating pressure but is the reason Suggs is?

Or for instance that play where it looked like Carr was beat badly but Dalton overthrew him. It goes down as an incomplete pass but was Carr beat there? Did the safety mess up? One of them messed up but the only way to judge it is an incomplete pass but it really should not have been.

Tank

Hall of Famer
Both were among the best at their position and were important to the franchise, and each had some suspect aspects of their personal lives. Is there a better comparison to make?

Best at their position? Yes. Suspect personal lives? Very different issues/circumstances and that simple comparison could be made between many NFL players. I think if you actually compare their personalities and how well they meet criteria laid out for the Ring of Honor they couldn't be more dissimilar.

Cmac may make it in at some point, but the longer it is the less likely it will happen.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
I'm considering creating in-depth spreadsheets for our games detailing the offensive and defensive personnel, presumed coverage, intended play design and general notes of the outcome of each play and how they came to be. It would be a lengthy and comprehensive process, so I wanted to see if this would be of interest to anyone or whether it'd be too much information to go through. I could also do a more general overall breakdown and offer the in-depth breakdowns for key drives. Any thoughts?
Please do. Other than Filmstudy I'm done with all those "breakdowns" saying the exact same thing that everyone already knew.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I thought I would post this on the random thought thread to ask a question? What is the team's official position on the number 19? I think Scott Mitchell was the only one to wear it, which kinda still bothers me, as not only was he a QB - he was the worst one in Ravens history. I know no one has worn it since, but I don't think that number has been officially retired. Do the Ravens just tell players, please don't pick that number as older Ravens fans will probably get upset with you? I guess they could get away with that for rookies, but not sure about future free agents. Can anyone shed some light on this. Thanks.
We haven't officially retired any numbers as far as I know, I think the rule on not letting players wear the numbers of the foundational HOF players may have come because of Scott Mitchell being such a disgrace to the number 19

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
I would definitely appreciate it if you have the time to do so.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Readable content should be sufficient. You do a very good job outlining your findings.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I don't like comparing prospects to ravens players because it feels lazy, but he looks and plays so much like ray rice it's weird.

I have no source to back this up but I did read an article that 19 is unofficially retired in both Baltimore and Indianapolis ( ironically).

Safe to say you will never see 19, 20 and 52 on the field.
Well maybe not *never* but no time soon.

I see it on Madden franchise mode and it makes me furious like... HOW DARE YOU STAND WHERE HE STOOD

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
So Harbaugh said Woodhead will miss at least four weeks and that Smith's injury isn't too serious.

Translation: Woodhead is going to retire, his career is over.

Smith will be euthanized this afternoon by forcibly making him overdose on sleeping pills. His injury is actually life threatening.

JOHN HARBAUGH IS EVIL