• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Right after they drafted Watt there were articles stating that they now have the best edge rush in the league. Bucky Brooks made up a bullshit article about future stars or something just so he coild gush about Watt.
It's bullshit to put that much into an article just about the Steelers' passrush, but someone could definitely do an article on the young, rising edge rushers in the AFC North as a whole. That's something I'd love to see.

Sooky

Pro Bowler
Right after they drafted Watt there were articles stating that they now have the best edge rush in the league. Bucky Brooks made up a bullshit article about future stars or something just so he coild gush about Watt.
Yeah it gets annoying every season hearing it and until I see it I won't believe it. Kind of like how the Jaguars are overhyped every offseason. Bottom half of the league in defense again for the Steelers.

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
I really think Vikings win if Bradford was healthy, but yeah, the bias is deep with some.
Every year the Steelers get huge breaks against good teams and they get free wins. It's honestly bs. NFL is rigged. Lol

Sooky

Pro Bowler
Every year the Steelers get huge breaks against good teams and they get free wins. It's honestly bs. NFL is rigged. Lol
Yeah looking even at their schedule I swear there were 5-6 games they were playing teams coming right out of London or on short weeks after Monday night games lol

rossihunter2

Staff Member
The one that annoys me is when people call the steelers defense great and I look at it talent wise and schematically and think that outside of Ryan shazier (and maybe soon tj watt) they have no elite talent on that defence - they have a lot of average starters but very few difference makers

Sooky

Pro Bowler
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/injured-reserve/

Theres a list of the number of players on IR per team. The Jags and Panthers are up with us on injuries almost only one behind. I just don't understand how the Ravens almost every year are top 5 in injuries while there are teams right now with only 3 players on IR. I think the Ravens first walkthrough practice of the season they had more on IR than that.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/injured-reserve/

Theres a list of the number of players on IR per team. The Jags and Panthers are up with us on injuries almost only one behind. I just don't understand how the Ravens almost every year are top 5 in injuries while there are teams right now with only 3 players on IR. I think the Ravens first walkthrough practice of the season they had more on IR than that.

The evil mastermind known as John Harbaugh clearly picked the Raiders to win it all this season. Duh

redrum52

Hall of Famer
I know it's early, but realistically, we might not be able to afford a loss until we play the Vikings. The way things are shaping up, it's very likely the West sends 3 teams to the playoffs. I don't see the Chiefs, Raiders or Broncos taking many losses unless there are injuries to their qb. If we want any shot at the playoffs, it's looking like the only way will be an 11 plus win total or flat out winning the division. Everyone upset with Ozzie's choice to go defense will HOPEFULLY get to see it pay off in the next four to five weeks. Will be interesting how the new guy does at RG this week. This game has a good chance of going the same way the Titans game did last week. Slow start and close game until one team pulls away. Can't afford to turn the ball over and defense has to tighten the hell up. Can't afford the big plays.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
I know it's early, but realistically, we might not be able to afford a loss until we play the Vikings. The way things are shaping up, it's very likely the West sends 3 teams to the playoffs. I don't see the Chiefs, Raiders or Broncos taking many losses unless there are injuries to their qb. If we want any shot at the playoffs, it's looking like the only way will be an 11 plus win total or flat out winning the division. Everyone upset with Ozzie's choice to go defense will HOPEFULLY get to see it pay off in the next four to five weeks. Will be interesting how the new guy does at RG this week. This game has a good chance of going the same way the Titans game did last week. Slow start and close game until one team pulls away. Can't afford to turn the ball over and defense has to tighten the hell up. Can't afford the big plays.
Yeah seriously. We might go 10-6 and miss the playoffs anyway. People would be calling for Harbaugh to be fired over it. I could see it now.

Then again, Harbaugh would probably tear their jaw muscles to prevent them from talking via his intense training camp so.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

The only thing about the west is they do have to play each other which will peg them each back in the way that the steelers and bengals and Ravens always let each other back - chiefs raiders, broncos raiders, chiefs broncos all have to play each other twice and don't forget the chargers may not be an awful team either - either they peg each other back or one of them will fall off

I'm by no means down playing how hard it will be to get in the playoffs - chris Simms has 6 of the best 7 teams in the NFL being in the AFC this year: pats, chiefs, raiders, broncos, steelers, Ravens and unfortunately because of the AFC south one of those teams won't go

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
Assuming they split the series I have Steelers at 10-11 wins which is exactly where I see the Ravens so it'll be close but they can definately afford that loss to the Raiders since I don't see the Steelers beating the Chiefs either.

redrum52

Hall of Famer
The only thing about the west is they do have to play each other which will peg them each back in the way that the steelers and bengals and Ravens always let each other back - chiefs raiders, broncos raiders, chiefs broncos all have to play each other twice and don't forget the chargers may not be an awful team either - either they peg each other back or one of them will fall off

I'm by no means down playing how hard it will be to get in the playoffs - chris Simms has 6 of the best 7 teams in the NFL being in the AFC this year: pats, chiefs, raiders, broncos, steelers, Ravens and unfortunately because of the AFC south one of those teams won't go

Completely agree. Was thinking what you said about the Chargers when I posted. I still don't really see any of the top 3 in the west finishing under 10 wins, though. It would be really nice for change if we can get the end of the season without having to sweat out the last couple of games, but doubt this is that year. It's happened recently, but unfortunately, only because we weren't going to make it.

Nothing to do with anything, but Ben is on the decline. Has been since last season. Now I see why he was so serious this off season about guys showing up.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Nothing to do with anything, but Ben is on the decline. Has been since last season. Now I see why he was so serious this off season about guys showing up.
He's still a lot better than Joe is right now and has the best WR in the NFL and best RB in the NFL as his backup. He's gonna be a tough matchup for us like he always is... *sigh*. I wish Joe had a chance to get weapons like that.

redrum52

Hall of Famer
Assuming they split the series I have Steelers at 10-11 wins which is exactly where I see the Ravens so it'll be close but they can definately afford that loss to the Raiders since I don't see the Steelers beating the Chiefs either.

I don't think Raiders win the division which is another reason I think that game is a "must win." If for whatever reason tie breakers come into effect, this could be a game we regret losing. Of all the teams in the AFC West, this is team we match up against the best in that division as well.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
I don't think Raiders win the division which is another reason I think that game is a "must win." If for whatever reason tie breakers come into effect, this could be a game we regret losing. Of all the teams in the AFC West, this is team we match up against the best in that division as well.
I don't expect that tiebreaker to matter because as you said there will be more than 1 team at 10-11 wins so if 3 teams are tied unless the Raiders swept both it won't really apply.

Edit: I believe the tiebreaker that will matter most in this scenario is division record which plays into the Ravens hands.

Sooky

Pro Bowler
I think it is still too early to peg the Chiefs, Broncos, and Raiders all teams to win 10+. They are all solid teams but they play against one another. Also, I really do not think the Broncos offense continues its current efficiency on offense. Chiefs are not really a deep team and throughout the season if a few injuries pile up I can honestly see them being an 8-8 team. Raiders are the safest team but they still have secondary issues and will not win every shoot out, they fell on the right side of wins a lot last season I could see them struggling against some play off teams.

I think in reality only 2 of these teams make the play offs because they play each other twice a season. But looking right now it seems we are competing against the Steelers for the division, and one of the Chiefs/Broncos/Raiders, the Miami Dolphins, and the Texans/Titans.

We play most of those teams head to head this season so those AFC Conference games will be HUGE this season.

Sooky

Pro Bowler
Another thought... Maxx Williams is starting to make a couple plays a game. Really excited to see if this trend continues.